Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
perhaps the same financial limitation that prompts them to push up sloppy home-made speed bumps of the type that play heck with the underside of an Interstate chassis
Most people who aren't in the business of designing roads don't realize that a road grader is exactly the wrong way to smooth a gravel road. The correct way is roller compaction, which forces the stones to interlock, as opposed to a grader that moves the stones around and prevents them from interlocking. So it's not just a lack of funding, but a lack of knowledge that causes them to produce poor roadways. Gone are the days when park services got highway departments to do their roads for them.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
So, Protagonist. I thought the moral of the tale is always pack duck tape.
I don't always bring Duct tape but it came in real handy on my last trip when my TV antenna blew off. Used it to seal up the post and contain the cable wire left dangling.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Tools: Required, Nice to have, and overkill but I have it anyway

+1 on utility of duct tape. The leading end of my water tank heater pads were peeling off due to gravel roads on our Alaska trip. I cleaned the area and taped down the leading edge with duct tape. I used 3M clear duct tape. Two years later it's as solid as the day I did the fix.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
disposable gloves
Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I have found that Gorilla duct tape is 10 times better then duct tape I've paid twice as much for.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Another tool that I will no longer leave home without: an auto scanner / code reading device, the kind that plugs into the Sprinter's computer and spits out a description of what a fault light means.

T1N Sprinters still use mid-20th century indicator technology in that, if something goes wrong, a light bulb simply pops on, the proverbial "check engine" light. The driver has no way of knowing if this indicates a minor problem, or if an explosion is imminent.

Apparently there is a scanning device that was made just for T1Ns, but it's no longer on the market as T1N production ceased years ago. My husband has a generic scanner that came in handy this past weekend. As we were pulling out of our driveway, the dreaded warning light appeared. Run back into the garage, grab the scanner. It threw a "P0500" code, which apparently indicates a speed sensor malfunction. But then the light vanished just as mysteriously as it had appeared, and the Interstate performed perfectly with no further warnings for the ensuing 300 miles.

The very last thing I want is to be on the road by myself and to see that "check engine" light and not have a clue what it means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151022_SCANNER.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	250811  
Old 10-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You might check out ScanGaugeII.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Another entry for the "nice to have" category - not a conventional tool, but at midnight while boondocking in the absolute middle of nowhere, when there is something large rummaging around under the Interstate, one would like to be able to satisfy curiosity and discover what it is.

I had bought this cheap wildlife cam (about $50 at Walmart) some months back when something was leaving fecal calling cards on my patio at home. I never discovered what that critter was, but the cam did snag plenty of pics of the feral cat who either ate it or put the run on it.

Sunday night I was kicking myself for not having thought to toss this into my kit. I could have strapped it to any of ten million trees for some candid camera fun. Lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151116_WILDLIFE_CAM.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	252430  
Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #51
Rivet Master

really nice to have/ overkill

I started bringing solar powered garden lights. At dusk, I leave one outside by the steps, put one in the bathroom, and one in the galley. At bedtime I put the galley light in the bathroom, and open or close the door to adjust how bright the night light is

I can see when I enter the trailer without reaching for a switch. I don't have to worry about, IF I left a light on. I have a night light. I don't have to worry about draining my batts. ( if I do, I still have light ) They're inexpensive to buy and run.
The camper looks nice with no creepy dark areas.

BTW I made stands for the indoor locations. ( a small microphone stand….looks cool )

P.S. If I have a jam ( music party ) at my site, I can bring all of the lights outside

P.S.S. I still like candles, but they are expensive, and I don't like them inside for fear of fire, surface damage, or wax/soot buildup.