Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
A hammer for "impact tuning", duct tape and zip ties for everything else!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Is there someone in the caravans, with a Defibrillator or EpiPen ?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Is there someone in the caravans, with a Defibrillator or EpiPen ?
Nomenclature:
What you're actually talking about is an AED, or Automatic External Defibrillator, which is the kind that someone with recent Red Cross First Aid/CPR could use. A Defibrillator, on the other hand, requires a paramedic, doctor, or possibly a Nurse Practitioner with more training than the average caravan will have on hand because nothing about it is automatic.

With that said, the answer is "probably not." With a going AED rental rate of about $300 per week from companies like HeartSmart, whether you use it or not, a caravan leader isn't likely to rent one unless he knows that the caravan is going to be someplace where the response time for a SkyMed helicopter is more than an hour.

As for EpiPens, if you have reason to think you'll need one, talk to your doctor and have him prescribe them for you so you can bring your own. There is no such thing as an over-the-counter EpiPen that can be administered without a prescription.

Nurses, paramedics, and doctors can administer emergency epinephrine injections because they have the training to know if you need it, how much you need, etc; basically they prescribe it on the spot.

That's the way I understood it when my primary care physician explained it to me. But I'm not a medical professional and might have it wrong, so don't take my response as gospel. Where's Pharmgeek when you need him?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Yes, I meant the AED. I thought they were 1-2k .
Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Yes, I meant the AED. I thought they were 1-2k .
If you shop around, you could possibly buy one for that price. But you can't just buy it and leave it sitting in a box until you need it. You would need a maintenance plan to ensure that it will work when you need it, and if you ever have to actually use it, then there is a post-event inspection that has to be performed before it can be returned to service.

Schools and offices that have a more-or-less year-round need to have one on hand will probably buy one and get a maintenance plan to go with it.

But for a "North to Alaska" caravan or something that will only last two or three months, it's more cost-effective to just rent it and turn it back in when the caravan is over, and avoid the maintenance issues. If you can get a monthly or quarterly rate the rental price becomes more reasonable.

But once again, it's like the EpiPens. Don't rely on the caravan leader to provide anAED if you think you or your spouse is the one who'll need it. Caravans are not convoys; everybody doesn't line up and all travel at the same pace like a wagon train. The caravan travels in clumps, with different people breaking camp at different times and driving at different speeds. If only one trailer in a caravan has an AED, and that trailer is miles away on the road when you need it, that's the same as not having one at all. So if you think you'll need an AED, carry your own (rented or purchased) and make sure you and your spouse both have the training to use it.

But for those times in camp, poll the caravan attendees and find out who else has the training to use an AED, too, and put them all on speed-dial for the duration of the caravan, just in case.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
You can buy a used AED for around $700 there really is no maintenance required other than to make sure the battery is charged..

The state required all assisted living facilities in Florida to get one.. A state legislator most likely had a family member in the AED business...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Nomenclature:
....There is no such thing as an over-the-counter EpiPen that can be administered without a prescription....
No sh!t. The last time I tried to get one was some years ago while working in the depths of Acadia Parish. I tried to wheedle one out of a doctor by noting that I had an entire large field crew for which I was personally responsible, and we were working six feet deep in weeds, at least 30 minutes from the nearest medical professional and probably more. A risky situation in which contact with bees was inevitable, probably a lot of bees. I made all the obvious arguments - if one of my crew members goes into shock, what's the most damage I could possibly do to him with an EpiPen? He's dead anyway at that point if I don't at least give intervention a shot. But it all fell on deaf ears - there was no legal way for me to add an EpiPen to my First Aid kit. Fortunately on that job, people did get stung but nobody ended up dead because of it. But I still think the restrictions on EpiPens are dumb.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
You can buy a used AED for around $700 there really is no maintenance required other than to make sure the battery is charged..
Back when I was still working for a living, we had some navigation locks so far from civilization that you had to drive to the end of the earth, and then catch a boat from there for another half hour just to get there. No phone service because no one had gotten around to building cell towers or stringing wires for land-lines through the swamp. The great and bountiful powers-that-be decreed from on high that ambulance service for these sites, even air ambulance, had such a slow response time that an AED was mandatory for them. Lo and behold, they spake, and it was done. Of course, being the Government, they would not buy used; only new was good enough. So I have no idea as to the quality of a used/reconditioned one.

Fast-forward about… I forget how long. At one of these sites there was an accident with an employee trying to perform maintenance on an electrical circuit without checking to see if it was energized. It was, and then he was. He wasn't killed outright; he still had a heartbeat, but it was in fibrillation, doing a spastic white-boy cha-cha-cha instead of the steady ba-thump ba-thump it was supposed to. Time to break out the AED. Which didn't work properly because while the unit was in storage the adhesive pads that hold the electrodes to the guys's chest had lost their stick and wouldn't stay put where they were supposed to.

The careless idiot— that is, victim— was doing electrical work when he was fricasseed, so his toolbox was right there. His quick-witted coworker trying to use the AED had a flash of brilliance. He grabbed the black electrical tape out of the toolbox and used it to tape the electrodes to the idi— victim's chest. The unit worked. Zap, the spastic heart paused in its St. Vitus's Dance, and restarted again in a more normal rhythm.

The moral of this tale? I can only recommend that if you buy one you have it checked out from time to time by a service technician. If you know you're going to take it on a long trip to the boonies, make sure the battery is still good and that the sticky pads haven't lost their stick and the wires aren't crimped. After all, if you felt you had to buy one, you must feel you'll someday have to use one. Don't you want to make sure it will work when you need it, and not just trust to luck?

But if you want to buy one and then never do any inspections or maintenance other than to charge it whenever you remember to, that's up to you.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
But it all fell on deaf ears - there was no legal way for me to add an EpiPen to my First Aid kit. Fortunately on that job, people did get stung but nobody ended up dead because of it. But I still think the restrictions on EpiPens are dumb.
If you want over-the-counter epinephrine my best advice is buy nebulizer for asthma and fill it with an asthma medication containing epinephrine. There's one brand I know of: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JXMEJ9WTFDH7K7 but according to reviews while the product is good, the nebulizer made for it isn't. That's why the link is to the refill and not the starter kit. If you buy your own better-quality nebulizer, you only need the refills on the medicine.

The dosage of epinephrine from a nebulizer will be low compared to an EpiPen, but about the best you're going to get OTC, and certainly better than nothing. If the victim can still inhale at all, he can be given a dose. If he can't inhale at all, brain-death in six minutes anyway.

Getting some Benadryl Allergy tablets for your first aid kit is also probably a good idea: http://www.amazon.com/Benadryl-Aller...enadyl+allergy This is what I carried before I found out about the OTC asthma medicine containing epinephrine.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Framingham , Massachusetts
MD here....
You can ask your primary care doctor for Epipen (usually comes in pair) for personal use.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I've added good quality pruners to our list of "required", always-onboard tools. The good news is that Interstates are small enough to go where other RVs cannot. The bad news is that Interstates are routinely too tall for wilderness areas that are typically occupied by passenger cars and trucks. This is Texas, and we strive to park in the shade most of the time due to the heat. More than once, I have kicked myself for not having pruners in my kit, because low-hanging tree branches prevented me from parking correctly or pulling all the way into a choice spot, as was the case this past weekend. No longer will this scenario recur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151020_PRUNER.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	250706  
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #40
Zil
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
So, Protagonist. I thought the moral of the tale is always pack duck tape.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #41

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I've added good quality pruners to our list of "required", always-onboard tools. The good news is that Interstates are small enough to go where other RVs cannot. The bad news is that Interstates are routinely too tall for wilderness areas that are typically occupied by passenger cars and trucks. This is Texas, and we strive to park in the shade most of the time due to the heat. More than once, I have kicked myself for not having pruners in my kit, because low-hanging tree branches prevented me from parking correctly or pulling all the way into a choice spot, as was the case this past weekend. No longer will this scenario recur.
I had an encounter with an overhanging branch that did minor damage to my awning's plastic end cap and the Winegard antenna, and learned my lesson well.

I don't carry pruners because the overhanging branches I've encountered were too thick for pruners, but I do have a TeleSteps stepladder to reach high places, a machete, a camp axe, and a folding saw, at least one of which will do the job. But without a doubt the very best tool for making sure you have enough clearance is a 10-foot pole, so you can get out and check the height of the overhanging branches before you drive under them! If the pole touches the branch when the end is on the ground, the branch is too low. My new 10-foot-pole is a telescoping aluminum flagpole that is only 4 feet long when retracted. It actually telescopes longer than 10 feet, but I used a Sharpie marker to mark how far to extend it for use as a probe for checking clearances.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thank you for saving me the effort involved in tracking that ladder down. I saw one for the first time last night on HGTV Tiny House Hunters and my immediate reaction was, "Oh, I need one - but what on earth is it?!" They are sometimes used in tiny houses to access loft areas.

That decision followed research that prompted me abandon rear door ladder plans. There are a few folks on Sprinter Forum who warn against eventual door deformation when those ladders are installed. I was nervous about it to start with, because by common sense, the doors don't seem to have been designed to bear that kind of weight. I'm thinking it's better to have a collapsible ladder, if one can be found that could fit on board.

I mostly don't encounter large tree branches but rather a lot of untrimmed scrub of the type that could be "discretely groomed" with hand pruners. Parks and other public areas with low maintenance budgets not doing much landscape upkeep, I suppose (perhaps the same financial limitation that prompts them to push up sloppy home-made speed bumps of the type that play heck with the underside of an Interstate chassis). I never thought about using a proverbial ten-foot pole to gauge scrub clearance.