Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
EYECHIP - did they charge you as a van or motorhome under 30 ft. ? We're any of them near me in LV or Barstow or LA ? I do my own when at home but just washing this huge beast myself takes at least 4 hrs. I probably overdo most of my cleaning chores, and get carried away in areas like the undercarriage, wheelwells, doorjambs, wheels/tires, radiators. But on the road, I barely can wash off the bugs on bumper. So I may want to avail of their services. How well did they do? I was told no machines used.
Alex, I actually used Blue Beacon in Vegas (North) which is the only location around you. I was kind of surprised as they charged me like $25? It was really cheap. Was it great? Nah, took 10 minutes and used hoses and towels to dry. I would say good for a basic and good for when on the road.

I used another in Cali near LA that was privately owned. They charged $45 but really worked on the tires and did a much better job drying. I was laughing though as the owner said for an extra $5 he would wash my kayak...I was like, nah, all good, lol.

Neither used machines. Just high pressure hoses. They both took enough time that I cleaned the bathroom and floors while they were working.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
.... I do my own when at home but just washing this huge beast myself takes at least 4 hrs. I probably overdo most of my cleaning chores, and get carried away in areas like the undercarriage, wheelwells, doorjambs, wheels/tires, radiators. But on the road, I barely can wash off the bugs on bumper....

I hear you! Just finished washing mine a few days ago - it took over 4 hours since I also cleaned the roof and used touch-up paint on some of the new dings.

I had mine detailed in March at the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA to the tune of $200. It sure looked good and still does after I washed it since they did a nice wax job.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Alex, I actually used Blue Beacon in Vegas (North) which is the only location around you. I was kind of surprised as they charged me like $25? It was really cheap. Was it great? Nah, took 10 minutes and used hoses and towels to dry. I would say good for a basic and good for when on the road.

I used another in Cali near LA that was privately owned. They charged $45 but really worked on the tires and did a much better job drying. I was laughing though as the owner said for an extra $5 he would wash my kayak...I was like, nah, all good, lol.

Neither used machines. Just high pressure hoses. They both took enough time that I cleaned the bathroom and floors while they were working.
EYECHIP - yes, I see that all the time when I head to LV Motor Speedway. Pretty sure they put it there coz it's in the heart of industrial section of LV and stone's throw away from Speedway - you know NASCAR and the motorhomes & huge toy haulers that go along with the races $25 is good price, that is the van pricing. The LA price is just typical, everything is 2x more expensive in SoCal.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
I thought I would divert a bit of the discussion for a peak at my rig.

10 points for the picture; minus 4 points for taking so long to post it.

Nice looking! Hope you get your issues resolved soon.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #65
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I hear you! Just finished washing mine a few days ago - it took over 4 hours since I also cleaned the roof and used touch-up paint on some of the new dings.

I had mine detailed in March at the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA to the tune of $200. It sure looked good and still does after I washed it since they did a nice wax job.
MIKE - Haha. Glad to hear I am not the only one this week spending over 4 hrs. washing it including roof. The roof is a PITA even with my 12 ft. heavy ALU step ladder coz it is so hard to move around. My Telesteps 14 ft. Combi ladder comes in this week, so it ought save me some time & sore muscles

BTW $200 is excellent price for a detail/wax job on a huge Sprinter. I would gladly pay that to save my a** from all the climbing in 105 degree weather
Old 08-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
EYECHIP - I am very sympathetic to your plight. If this was not a warranty unit, I would have volunteered to physically isolate this for you. Not sure how comfortable you are getting into the weeds of troubleshooting issues with MB & AS dealers and JC. It is not an easy task.

Given everything you have posted, 2 things are clear:
1. They are not logically troubleshooting this.
2. Whatever mininal logical troubleshooting process they have used, they are using the "shotgun" method to try and fix it.

At this point in the process, the steps below should have been done already. However it seems like they have not done so:

1. Pull out Fusion head unit and bench test it. i.e. remove it from AI, put on a table, hook up to a 12v source, and connect some cheap speakers to it. This would isolate if the problem is in Fusion head unit or still inside MB/AI.

2. If Fusion head unit does not work on the bench, then keep getting another until you find one that works.

3. If Fusion head unit works on the bench, then move to isolate if it's MB chassis or AI/Fusion wiring. To do this, disconnect the AI/Fusion wiring harness that is plugged in to the MB harness. Then grab any one of the MB OEM head units and plug in to MB harness.

4. If MB head unit works, then it is an AI/Fusion wiring harness problem. MB is done. It's an AI/Fusion problem.

5. If MB head unit has same problem, then it's an MB audio wiring harness problem.

Steps 1-5 is a 1-hr. job tops including a coffee break. It's pathetic MB or AS can't figure out a simple audio problem. Any automotive audio specialty shop can figure this out.

This is a longshot but still keep it in mind - Fusion or MB head units are connected to MB CANBUS, which means that if CANBUS is stuck in a state where it is trying to use speaker phone function from steering wheel controls, it could disable the front speakers.
AIRSTREAM - Cha-Ching Alert!!!

To laugh? To cry? To quietly bang one's head against a stout oak table? That is the question.

Airstream, if you have anyone actually reading these posts, increase your profits overnight by:

A) forwarding this post to every dealer
B) including it in the buyer's manuals
C) hiring the poster as a consultant and
D) making the poster a YouTube star

Everyone have the same BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) I am experiencing? I know enough about troubleshooting sound systems to check if they are plugged in, but this is so basic and logical that every "tech" who has touched this AI should be tested as a potential organ donor.

Check Wikipedia. Certified and Certifiable are not the same thing.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
MIKE - Haha. Glad to hear I am not the only one this week spending over 4 hrs. washing it including roof. The roof is a PITA even with my 12 ft. heavy ALU step ladder coz it is so hard to move around. My Telesteps 14 ft. Combi ladder comes in this week, so it ought save me some time & sore muscles

BTW $200 is excellent price for a detail/wax job on a huge Sprinter. I would gladly pay that to save my a** from all the climbing in 105 degree weather
If you haven’t discovered Blue Beacon truck washes, they do an excellent job on our rigs, including the roof, and at a very reasonable price.

It doesn’t substitute for going over every inch yourself on occasion but an undercarriage wash, tire shine and coat with RainX leave them sparkling clean.

Maggie
Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
AIRSTREAM - Cha-Ching Alert!!!

To laugh? To cry? To quietly bang one's head against a stout oak table? That is the question.

Airstream, if you have anyone actually reading these posts, increase your profits overnight by:

A) forwarding this post to every dealer
B) including it in the buyer's manuals
C) hiring the poster as a consultant and
D) making the poster a YouTube star

Everyone have the same BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) I am experiencing? I know enough about troubleshooting sound systems to check if they are plugged in, but this is so basic and logical that every "tech" who has touched this AI should be tested as a potential organ donor.

Check Wikipedia. Certified and Certifiable are not the same thing.
FOILEDAGAIN - Your post is funny, if it were not sad at same time. Thank you for your kind words. We can only hope they listen to suggestions that in the long term helps them. I think they see customers who get deeply involved as a threat to them, not realizing we are doing so because every AS owner has a vested interest in making sure AS is successful.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #69
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
If you haven’t discovered Blue Beacon truck washes, they do an excellent job on our rigs, including the roof, and at a very reasonable price.

It doesn’t substitute for going over every inch yourself on occasion but an undercarriage wash, tire shine and coat with RainX leave them sparkling clean.

Maggie
MAGGIE - this is good to hear from you & EYECHIP. I pass by Blue Beacon many times but only associated them with the big semis and big rvs. I certainly can/will use their services when out of town.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

This sounds like good news. Got a report last night regarding Airstream LA and the Fusion...."the dealer in LA said that they have found the issue on your Interstate. Said that it is a short at one of the speakers which has already made the new head unit to overheat. They are putting a new head unit and speaker in..."

Back to LA tomorrow to pick up and HOPING this issue is finally resolved. Phew.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Maggie
I am gun shy about the Blue Beacon tire shine after they ruined all 4 of my Alcoa wheels. That stuff is not pH balanced and if not immediately wiped off will etch the aluminum.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #72
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-AV8R View Post
I am gun shy about the Blue Beacon tire shine after they ruined all 4 of my Alcoa wheels. That stuff is not pH balanced and if not immediately wiped off will etch the aluminum.
Hey RCAV8R, Wow, sorry to hear this. Last thing any of us want is thinking we are doing the right thing for our rigs and inadvertently etch our Alcoa's. I wonder if Blue Beacon has gotten complaints from the big semis sporting the Alcoas? I see a lot of the really custom/tricked out commercial haulers with the fancy 22" Alcoas. They would probably see similar issues if this is prevalent use. At first I was skeptical about your post. Glad I didn't say anything UNTIL I checked Blue Beacon website. Guess what it says under Aluminum Cleaner/Brightener = CITRUSHINE ! I am pretty familiar with many citrus cleaners & degreasers, I use them on many bicycle parts. They are excellent but also potent if not used properly. Citrus is definitely acidic & not pH balanced/neutral per Alcoa recommendations. I also found Alcoa pH specs on that (see below). For those who have not done this, just be thankful it is not part of the standard wash. It is listed as an option, so best be on safe side & to skip any tire dressing/cleaner stuff. Thanks for heads up & again sorry for the bad results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-24-18-38-06.png
Views:	61
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	320742  
Old 08-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #73
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
This sounds like good news. Got a report last night regarding Airstream LA and the Fusion...."the dealer in LA said that they have found the issue on your Interstate. Said that it is a short at one of the speakers which has already made the new head unit to overheat. They are putting a new head unit and speaker in..."

Back to LA tomorrow to pick up and HOPING this issue is finally resolved. Phew.
EYECHIP - Good news for you (cross fingers). Black eye for multiple MB/AS "experts" to totally blow this. This almost the same category as missing a blown fuse or tripped breaker.

<<Just can't help myself below. Strictly techie stuff if you want to read more>>
Even bigger black eye for Garmin/Fusion for not having a head unit that has an output fuse or protective ckt. on their power amps. Fusion max current draw is 12A at max power of 40Wx4ch. That's a max. of 3A at 40W per ch. The numbers don't exactly work out as there are fractional rounding done with most A/V specs. But even at lower/typical 26Wx4ch. output (per Fusion specs) that is almost an 8A total draw. Who would design any amp/speaker combo that does not even have a minimum primitive fuse protection from complete short circuit. I am tempted to put fast-blow 3A or slo-blow 2A on each of the 4ch. outputs of my Fusion.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
The tire shine is an option that is requested and charged extra for, so easy enough to skip this part.

I have been in Blue Beacons all over the country, they do a great job at cleaning and debugging and some have an undercarriage wash.

An option to consider is the RainX coat, which helps the bugs slide off even better the next time.

They are also very reasonably priced.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Finally! The Fusion is working. I am whole for the first time since taking delivery.

By the way this past month did create a positive in that I named my rig to honor this debacle at pick up. Wilson. Driving the past month around alone with no bluetooth or music will get you talking to yourself. Or an inanimate object. Like Tom Hanks in Castaway. So "Wilson" it is.

With that, I am now seeing that the Fusion system is adequate for music and Sirius etc. Navigation, nah...I will use my phone. And the bluetooth? It's pretty bad. I could hear the person fine but they said the quality was a bit 10 years ago from their end. I think this winter I will look into a custom system.

The two essentials I would want and also food for thought for Airstream in the future:

1. State of the art sound quality for Bluetooth (I work the phones a lot while driving).
2. A screen that is angled to the driver or can be angled. It's really tough to see while driving and the buttons you need the most are on the passenger side at an awkward reach.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy. Finally! This will work for now and I feel as if I am whole again.

Now to Oregon.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
It will be interesting to see what entertainment/nav system Airstream and others installs in the new Sprinter with a dash looks like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1542.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	320836
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #77
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
It will be interesting to see what entertainment/nav system Airstream and others installs in the new Sprinter with a dash looks like this.
Attachment 320836
MIKE - That nice & clean dash on new ones
Old 08-26-2018, 06:21 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

Menominee , Michigan
Maybe AS should just leave well enough alone, and leave whatever radio/GPS comes with the MB Sprinter. I have been seriously unimpressed with the Garmin/Kenwood systems. Glad to hear that you finally got yours functional, Eyechip. Music makes the miles roll by.....😊
tugboatannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Wilson it is! Glad to hear music is back in your life and welcome to Oregon, we had a bit of wildfires smoke and haze last couple weeks but is much better now.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #80
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
We should all have one of these to make life easier... (posted in the Airstream Interstate FB page

https://wash-bots.com/product/wash-bots-626-ez/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RYrgUc03j1Y
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote