Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Toad anyone?

Just FYI, for anyone contemplating a Toad. After pouring over the web and multiple RV forums we've decided to tow our Smart Car with the Aluma 6810H trailer which will include brakes, extra struts, front aluminum rock guard, mounted spare tire, tongue handle and bi-fold ramp. With the light weight trailer the tow weight will be around 2400#. AND WE CAN BACK IT UP! Plan also to mount a hitch on the Smart Car to make the trailer available for light duty upon arrival. We know Smart Cars tow well 4-down but early estimates for a quality tow bar were more expensive than the trailer configuration and meant practically dismantling the front of the Smart. Less wear and tear on the Smart as well. The picture of the Smart in tow configuration on the Aluma 6810H behind a brand X motor home is from an RV forum on the web. The other picture is from the Aluma site (the same color as our Smart).

Click image for larger version

Name:	smart car trailer.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	234779

Click image for larger version

Name:	smart car on trailer.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	234780
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Well, as they say, different strokes…

I went with a toad I could tow four-down for one sound reason— I live in an apartment complex that very kindly allows me to store my Interstate at home at no extra cost, but they will not allow me to store any kind of trailer or dolly there, not even for extra cost.

As for why I didn't choose a Smart for my toad, there were two sound reasons— when I bug out for a hurricane, a lot of the stuff I'm trying to save goes in the toad, so I needed something that had a decent amount of storage space (Honda Fit has 64 cubic feet of storage with the rear seat folded down, a Smart has almost enough cargo space for a set of golf clubs and I don't play golf), and the thought of driving a glorified golf cart as my daily driver in New Orleans metro area traffic scared the bejayzus out of me!

But I think you will find that having a toad for your Interstate will greatly expand your capabilities. Here's a suggestion, though— if you're getting a trailer for your Smart anyway, get one with a few feet of extra length, and put a cargo box on the front! It won't make a lot of difference in the trailer weight, but will give you extra storage beyond what you'll have in the car.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Smart Choice

Each towing situation is different for sure. I like Protagonist's rationale. Dodging hurricanes can be tricky business I bet. Just rain to dodge up here on the other corner.
Our AI is parked in a storage space with enough room for the trailer. We park the Smart on our West Seattle city street (between SUVS when possible). Lots of Smart Cars "Car-2-go" companions. Only need to drive it between our Townhouse and storage (pleasant 20 minute ferry ride across Puget Sound). NO Freeway driving. Good thought about storage on trailer. Plenty of room and weight available in front of rock guard.
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
West Seattle! I once live on the corner of Alaska and 45th in West Seattle. Best place I ever lived - wish I was still living there. I had a single family home with driveway big enough to park the van off street.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote