Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
So is everyone in agreement? Michelin LTX ms2?

I know my size is 215/85r16

What about going with a lower profile? Say an 80, 75 or even 70?

Would this reduce 'bounce' in rear? Or stuck with factory size?

Performance is #1 but a tire has to 'look' good as well
If you're sticking with original rims, I'd stick with original size tires, too. Ground clearance is already low, and a lower tire profile won't help that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
In addition to ground clearance, the lower profile tire would have less load carrying capacity as well. I actually thought about going with a 235/85/16 because I believe the taller sidewall would improve the ride (and increase load capacity) but in the end the lack of extra clearance between the duals prevents installing anything wider.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

If you're sticking with original rims, I'd stick with original size tires, too. Ground clearance is already low, and a lower tire profile won't help that.
Yea I thought about ground clearance. But would the 1/4 - 1/2" make a difference?

I guess I'll stay with same size, but it does seem that depending on manufacturer there are still some variations in size even though the tire dimensions are the same.

Also what are the new factory units coming with?
Continentals? And if so why aren't they popular with replacements?
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Yea I thought about ground clearance. But would the 1/4 - 1/2" make a difference?
Depends on where you drive. New Orleans is the pothole capital of the south, and here it would make a difference.

Quote:
Also what are the new factory units coming with?
Continentals? And if so why aren't they popular with replacements?
The tires that come on any new vehicle will usually be the least expensive that the vehicle manufacturer can buy in bulk. Cheapest, not best. When I replace tires, my personal safety is worth the extra cost to buy good tires, so it's practically a foregone conclusion that I will not buy the same brand that came on the vehicle when it was new.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #25

Currently Looking...
2006 22' Interstate
Babylon , New York
Good experience with Firestone Transforce HT

Hi All: New to forum and new to my recently acquired '06 Airstream Interstate.

Just got back from Troy,Ohio with replacement for my Hurricane Sandy flooded '01 Chevy Express LS passenger van. The dealer, Dave Arbogast had 4 new Firestone Transforce LT225/75R16E HT installed. Most of the 670 miles I traveled home had light snow or rain. The salt spreaders were out crossing most of western PA. For most of my 76 years I was a dedicated Michelin owner, All of my Mercedes Diesels and even a '89 White/Gm/Volvo Class 8 Sleeper cab tractor with a 425 Cat engine had Michelin's. Not always the best tire life but great ride and wet road performance.

Had the new Airstream needed tires I wouldn't hesitate buying Michelin's. However I was really surprised with the quiet ride and wet road handling delivered by the Firestone's. My only gripe is the rear tires seemed to have too much air pressure. The sticker says 55 front, 80 rear. I haven't checked it out yet.

Tire reviews at "Tire Rack" seem unanimous regarding these tires with some people getting up to 80,000 miles along with good wet traction and a quiet ride as well. The Firestones will stay put.
jtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome to the good life, traveling in an Interstate!

We have loved our Firestones. No problems whatsoever.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
I bought two new front tires today at Discount Tires and when they inflated them to 61 psi they looked like they were half flat. The boss even came by and say whoa.... those tires need more air. I think they inflated them closer to 75 or 80 and now they look and ride like normal....What do you think could have caused that?
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Bad gauge maybe.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsouth View Post
I bought two new front tires today at Discount Tires and when they inflated them to 61 psi they looked like they were half flat. The boss even came by and say whoa.... those tires need more air. I think they inflated them closer to 75 or 80 and now they look and ride like normal....What do you think could have caused that?

Construction....no two brands will have the same profile at the same pressure. I would weigh the rig loaded for camping and adjust tire pressures according to mfg specs.

Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I found my two new fronts (Michelins) that Discount mounted over inflated the next day when I checked them. They had about 80 psi in them. I dropped them to 61. They rode fine at 80 for the few miles I drove them, don't honestly notice a difference with them at the proper pressure. I do believe they ride better than the OEM Conti's. At 61 I think they look normal. I am hyper aware of of that underinflated look you are talking about too as I seem to see someone driving on a severely underinflated tire somewhere along my route most ever time I get behind the wheel. I'd get a known-to-be-good gauge and check them again.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I have 30,000 miles on my tires but I have pretty bad rot. High mileage is not important but I need something that I can feel safe on for another 30K or four years, whichever comes first.

My tire dealer suggested four BFG Commercial T/A 215 85 R 16 tires for the rear of my 2010 unit built on a 2008 chassis. Price is $770.00 balanced and out the door.

Will they work for my needs?
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tallahassee , Florida
I have logged about 70k miles on the factory tires in about one year and it is time for new shoes. Does anyone have any experience with changing the wheel size from the factory 16's to 18's? I would prefer the look and ride of a larger wheel/ tire set.
btouchstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't forget that bigger wheels and tires will weigh more meaning more unsprung weight. I learned this the first time I rotated my Tahoe's 20" wheels. Thought I was going to need a forklift.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Don't forget that bigger wheels and tires will weigh more meaning more unsprung weight. I learned this the first time I rotated my Tahoe's 20" wheels. Thought I was going to need a forklift.

Not only that

I went from 20" to 22" on my truck and not only did it not ride as well but my fuel mileage went down also.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
I went with a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 and have been very happy with them. 5K on them and they still look basically new. Compared to the OEM Conti's which I changed out due to wear at around 6K. Note that this was due to excessive wear on the outer edges of the front tires. The abnormal tire wear issue was resolved by an alignment. See a past post by mine regarding the alignment fix.

FWIW, the wear on the Conti's was caused by the alignment issue. However, I will still say the Michelins are a better tire from what I have seen so far.
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
One thing that might need to be considered before changing out the tires for something larger… If you go with tires larger than the ones Mercedes Benz recommends, you may end up causing the Electronic Stability Program to malfunction. At least that's what the operator's manual says (bottom of page 50).
Old 02-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #37

2011 22' Sport
2011 Interstate Coach
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Late-model Interstates take LT215/85 R16, Speed range Q on all six tires, and operate at an inflation pressure of 61 psi.
I am buying a 2011 interstate 3500 with under 3500miles. Garage kept, it’s beutiful and no visible tire rot.

Planning on changing out the tires,what do you suggest. I think it has continentals on now.
tvldesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvldesk View Post
I am buying a 2011 interstate 3500 with under 3500miles. Garage kept, it’s beutiful and no visible tire rot.

Planning on changing out the tires,what do you suggest. I think it has continentals on now.
WELCOME to AirForums!!

If the tires are Continentals they might be original. Check the date code to be sure how old they are. Good idea to change them if the are over 8 years old.

I'd recommend Michelins. I my view the best tires for the Interstate Sprinters. I just bought my second set after last set went over 90,000 miles. They had some sidewall checking and needed replacement even though they still had tread life. The original Continentals that came with van only lasted about 30,000 miles.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
I put Michelin crossclimate’s on last fall and was pleased with them on our 3k mile Utah and Grand Canyon trip. Ran into some snow and ice and they performed well.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #40
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Suggest a 235 /85 R16 tire size. Michelin is our choice. Run a little bit lower air pressure or look into full air suspension (GlideRite or VB) for the rear to improve ride

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Hein is offline   Reply With Quote