Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
MB doesn't put TPMS on the 3500 Sprinters because it is not required by US DOT. That could change in the future because US NHTSA is pushing to require TPMS on all road vehicles.

Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
A TPMS is certainly high on my list of modifications. What are the preferred choices in TPMS that have been purchased by the forum?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
New Bern , North Carolina
Thanks Heliskier. We have the same vehicle with Kumho original equipment tires and I have decided to replace all six tires with Michelin LTX MS2. Have you driven enough on the new tires to get an idea if the cupping and singing noise might retun? $1400 is worth the peace of mind and quiet ride. How many miles did you get on thru Kumhos?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I believe the cupping is due to an alignment issue. Anytime you purchase new tires for a vehicle, you should get it aligned.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Oak Lawn , Illinois
Prairie,
I only had 25,000 miles on the tires before I replaced them. I figure since it was a 2008 chassis that it probably sat in Jackson center's parking lot before I got it. So the tires were at least 5 years old. I think if you look closely at your sidewalls, you will see tiny dry rot cracks starting to develop.

The cupping is from the alignment. You should also allocate another $200 for an alignment. Peace of mind is not cheap unfortunately.

I only have 5,000 miles on the tires now. No signs of cupping or humming noise. I don't expect to have any issues.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucet45410 View Post
A TPMS is certainly high on my list of modifications. What are the preferred choices in TPMS that have been purchased by the forum?

There are a number of TPMSs available. Most aftermarket models have sensors that screw on to end of tire valve stem in place of a cap. I have the TST system with flow-thru sensors. There are internal sensors available much like the OEM systems, but they are difficult to install - because they require removing the tires from the rims to install the sensors. If you get the valve cap sensors make sure you replace the rubber valve stems with metal stems. The weight of the sensors cap will cause the stock rubber valve stems to fail - giving you an instant flat tire.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #21

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark
I believe the cupping is due to an alignment issue. Anytime you purchase new tires for a vehicle, you should get it aligned.
I have been told by three reputable tire stores that "cupping" is endemic on vehicles made in Germany including Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen. The implication being U.S. built models from the same manufacturer are not as likely to evince the problem. No explanation of why that is was offered, but the solution offered is being sure to rotate the tires often. It does not eliminate the cupping, but equalizes the wear.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I have been told by three reputable tire stores that "cupping" is endemic on vehicles made in Germany including Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen. The implication being U.S. built models from the same manufacturer are not as likely to evince the problem. No explanation of why that is was offered, but the solution offered is being sure to rotate the tires often. It does not eliminate the cupping, but equalizes the wear.
Probably a conspiracy between the Germans and the tire manufacturers.

I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.

My front tire wear was confined to the outer rib and was uniform, not cupped. From what I've been told over the years was that cupping was usually caused by worn shocks.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
The implication being U.S. built models from the same manufacturer are not as likely to evince the problem.
As far as I know, every Sprinter van comes off the same assembly line in Dusseldorf, so that would be a moot point. There are no American-made Sprinters that I know of.

I haven't seen any uneven tire wear at all on my Interstate. No cupping, no excessive outer edge wear, no excessive inner edge wear, nothing.

Mind you, I only have 20,000 miles on mine, so maybe it's a problem that will show up as I get more use out of it…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Cupping normally means your tires are not balanced properly. Uneven wear on front is normally an alignment problem. I've have no such problems with my new Michelins in over 15,000 miles.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tires

If your tires are cupped on just the outside edges or inside edges your vehicle is out of alignment.You can rotate them but they will not ever smooth out and will whine until replaced.Replace front tires and align and all will be good again.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
If your tires are cupped on just the outside edges or inside edges your vehicle is out of alignment.You can rotate them but they will not ever smooth out and will whine until replaced.Replace front tires and align and all will be good again.

Could you elaborate on which element(s) of alignment (caster, camber, toe) contribute to cupping?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #27
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Could you elaborate on which element(s) of alignment (caster, camber, toe) contribute to cupping?
Mostly it is toe. Camber can play a role, but to a lesser extent. Where it gets interesting is that both camber and toe can reinforce each other and the result would be worse than the sum of the 2 by themselves.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tires

To much toe in will cause excessive outside tire rib wear with cupping toe out will cause excessive inside rib wear with cupping.Excessive camber will cause more even excessive wear without cupping normally on the inside or outside of tires tread.Under inflation will cause excellerated wear both inside and outside rib usually without cupping.Over inflation will cause excellerated wear in the middle of the tires tread.
Hope this helps.