Old 05-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
Well I want to thank everyone... I think you all answered my question. And we are all fortunate that we have the opportunity to travel in these great little B class vans. Old or new, long or short, there's an Interstate for us all! Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! 🚐

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 05-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If the rear inner wheels are not the same, all you can do is outside front to back or rear side to side. I don't know if I would want to dismount and mount every tire rotation because the wheels may get scratched and scuffed by the tire machine.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If the rear inner wheels are not the same, all you can do is outside front to back or rear side to side.
Not even that because the front and rear aluminum wheels aren't the same as each other, either.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Due to what I think is due to a poor camber spec., the outer rib on the fronts experiences excessive wear. If you don't rotate the fronts to the rear, you'll wind up buying two fronts sooner than otherwise.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not even that because the front and rear aluminum wheels aren't the same as each other, either.
I believe the OP implied that one would have to dismount/ & remount to do the front to rear rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If the rear inner wheels are not the same, all you can do is outside front to back or rear side to side. I don't know if I would want to dismount and mount every tire rotation because the wheels may get scratched and scuffed by the tire machine.
Most places use plastic coated tools and reverse the wheel, if possible, to avoid marring the wheel.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

I reckon so-
Front wheels are different than rear wheels, and inside dual is different than outside dual-
That leaves side to side or nothing-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
As long we are on the tires/wheels subject-how does one remove the covers of the lug nuts. I wanted to take them off without scratching them so I could check the torque on the lug nuts. I tried one of those plastic coated wrench made for lug nut cover remover-did not budge.

Many thanks,

Titu
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
While there is a special tool with coated jaws, I put some tape on Channel Locks. I do have to wiggle it back and forth to loosen them tho.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
To be clear the Alcoa wheels on front and rear are identical, except their polish finishes are on different sides. The design of all light/medium dual wheel truck systems are based on wheels with an offset design that can be used in any wheel position.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHog View Post
As long we are on the tires/wheels subject-how does one remove the covers of the lug nuts. I wanted to take them off without scratching them so I could check the torque on the lug nuts. I tried one of those plastic coated wrench made for lug nut cover remover-did not budge.

Many thanks,

Titu

Your tool is correct - just try a little harder. The wrench you are using may also be for larger lug nuts so it will be a bit more difficult. I use one of those wrenches and it does work.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 05-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #25
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
As a newbie last year I asked the dealer to rotate my AI tires at the 10k service. When I picked my rig up, they had not done it, as it apparently is not standard at 10k. I took my AI to a Goodyear truck tire center and left it for the rotation. When I arrived for pickup later I asked WTH?, all my rims were turned out. After much discussion with the manager and rim inspection, it was definitively determined that the tires have to be dismounted in order to rotate and keep the shiny sides out. I agreed to return the next day to have that done. When I got home that day and looked over the ugly sides out, I realized most of my lug nut covers were missing. When I returned the next day for the breakdown and remount, I asked about the covers and they did not have them; was told they must have fallen off!

Well, they did the remount and the manager actually no charged me for all the trouble and missing lug nut covers. I left the next day on a 1,000 mile trip and the tires were shaking so bad on the road my wife refused to help drive. I had a real balance job done at my destination.

Last week I was in Ohio and had some warranty items cleared at Jackson Center. I assumed the service center there could hook me up with some new lug nut covers. Response was that they only sell them as full sets with the hub covers and all four wheels would run a little north of $300. Yikes. I know there are other postings herein about the covers available from the OEM, I will go that route.

Moral of the story - I agree with others: skip the rotation if all seems well wear wise.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, our Interstate has had the tires rotated and balanced about every 6,000 miles since purchase 8 years ago. Doug said this was best, this is what we and now I have always done.

There was a nominal charge for rotation, now no charge because the tire place that installed the new ones then does this for free. We have replaced them twice.

As it is free, there is nothing lost but a bit of time, and it always feels good to have everything looked at thoroughly, pressure checked, etc.

I believe we have Goodyear tires, but would have to look to be certain. You can go into any Goodyear place in the country and they will rotate and balance your tires for free. We have done this a number of times.

Why not?

Maggie

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Maggie - yes rotation on your older Interstate with just four wheels makes a lot of sense. But on the newer ones with dual rear wheels and Alcoa polished wheels it is not cost effective. The rear tires should wear evenly if the have been balanced properly. If the fronts are wearing uneven you probably need an alignment. My original Continental tires started to show uneven wear on the front due to alignment problem.

### Advice to all new Interstate owners. Take your Sprinter to a good dealer or alignment shop and have the front camber reset. Mercedes sets the camber in the factory on an empty van. Then Airstream loads it up to nearly 10,000 pounds and the front camber is no longer correct. Airstream should fix this but they don't. ###

I replaced the tires at 30,000 miles because I had a rear flat and two worn front tires. I then had Michelins put on and front camber reset. After another 20,000 miles all are wearing evenly.
Another factor to consider is how much you drive every year. If you don't drive much the tires will age out before they wear out.
The cost to have tires rotated by removing them from the rims and having them re-balanced offsets any potential savings from getting them to last longer.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahhhh.....thanks for that clarification.

I thought.....what??!!.....don't rotate tires??

My tire folks also require you sign a spot that acknowledges you have been advised to return 50 miles after rotation to have the lug nuts re-tightened.

No doubt, a disaster of some sort caused that little bit of documentation.

Maggie

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums