Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Tire rotation for interstate

Has anyone scheduled tire rotation, and if so with who? Mercedes? Truck service center? Airstream? Im heading to Jackson for service and called about tire rotation. At first he said you don't need to rotate. I said it's in the manual. He said that's the Mercedes manual and I said, no, it's in the Airstream manual. So he said, ok, we can probably do it? According to the manual, the rims may have to be removed and reinserted because they are only finished on one side? Should I replace rims too so its not so complicated?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Look at the inside dual rims. Some dual tire setups use a fancy polished aluminum wheel on the outside dual, and a matching steel wheel on the inside one.

The reason is the offset from the hub is too much if both wheels are aluminum. Aluminum wheels are made substantially thicker than steel wheels where they mount to the hub. The wheel studs on these setups are also deliberately designed to prevent the use of two aluminum wheels on a hub.

Unless Airstream's factory service center has the proper tools and equipment for mounting and unmounting tires, they may not be able to rotate them. Look around in the forums for better information...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The Mercedes service shop agreed with me to NOT rotate the tires. When necessary, I will replace the fronts. More damage can be done unmounting and remounting than there are benefits, let alone the cost.

I did have the front end aligned by Mercedes and the front tires road-force balanced at 20,000. I have 28,000 on the rig now and all tires look fine with little visual wear.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thanks. That sounds like the plan.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The Mercedes service shop agreed with me to NOT rotate the tires. When necessary, I will replace the fronts. More damage can be done unmounting and remounting than there are benefits, let alone the cost.
JOHN - I agree. I have also spoken with my local MB dealership when I brought my sedan for service. IMHO For the way I use my vehicles, rotating tires on the dually Sprinter is not worth the potential hassle for me and big potential for ANY shop screwing things up, especially with the Borg Dually steel valve extensions. I do not anticipate wearing out my tires within the 5 yr. period that I normally consider my threshold before replacing (regardless of low or high mileage). I can live with the expense of replacing the fronts sooner than if diligently rotated. Besides rotating them would save only a little. Much rather dole out the cash every few 2-3 years, rather than get hit with one big bill for 6 tires every 4-5 years. This is same strategy I have been using for decades on my regular cars. Never had to pay for 4 tires all at once.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Tire rotation for interstate

I agree with John and Alex. I have never rotated my tires. Original Continentals replaced after 30,000 miles with two front worn on edges due to alignment issue. Had an inner dual go flat, didn't realize it for over 50 miles and overloaded outer tire. With four of seven tires shot and getting ready for trip to Alaska I bought Michelin tires and had front end aligned. Now 70,000 miles later all tires are wearing well with plenty of tread left.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
70,000 on the Michelins - impressive! I got 35,000 out of the Continentals. Felt good about that because I got off to a rough start with outer wear on the front.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote