Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ponte Vedra Beach , Florida
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

I've got my new 2018 Grand Tour and have had the Dually Valve stem extenders installed and want to get a pressure monitoring system. I'd prefer not to have to hardwire a booster. I have seen posts referencing the TST product and have seen non-forum reviews recommending both Tireminder and/or EEZ. Can you comment on your experiences (pro and con) with these or another product? Thank you.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
I have a 2015 Grand Tour and bought the TST system. I have not used a booster and have this unit mounted on the dash with the provided adhesive and plugged into the lighter socket. I have not had any problems with the TST unit. The only problem I had was loosing connection with the rear wheel and the people at TST were very courteous and helpful in tracking down the issue - bad battery replacement.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
I’ve been using TST for about 18 months. Very happy. I did have the rubber stems in my tires replaced with metal and then balanced with the sensors mounted. I just set the monitor on my dash when driving. The battery in the monitor seems to last about 20 hours. If I get down to one bar on the battery then I plug it in. It does take a minute or two for all the tires to connect when I turn the monitor on. I had one quit while on the road, replaced the battery and back in business. I carry a few 2032 watch batteries but have only replaced the one in about 15,000 miles of use. I got mine from plugitright.com, excellent customer service. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2016 Ram 1500 5.7L
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
TST here as well. Great system. Easy to setup. As some have mentioned, you do not need the repeater (I installed it and was too lazy to remove it)...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
get the EEZ it is GREAT!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
I use the TireMinder solar powered TPMS on our 26U. Great system. No wires, just a small display that sticks on the corner of the windshield. Powered by the sun. Have done several long trips and works like a dream.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
I use the EEZ TPMS...

I'm using the EEZ Tire Monitoring system on my 2018 AI GT 4WD with great performance for my 4K miles of travel. Initialization is rather quick and so far no drop outs. The system monitor can be hardwired but the monitor's battery life is great. I basically charge it before a trip and upon return. I actually left it on for a 2000 mile trip with no issues.

I agree with installing metal valve stems. It's important to remember that the AI outside duals are Alcoa Aluminum wheels while the inners are Mercedes steel wheels when purchasing metal valve stem kits. Be very careful in selecting the mechanic/tire shop to install your stem kit. There are issues related to the wheel lug cap removal/reinstall, lug torque for the Alcoa wheels, and valve stem stabilizer installation to mention a few. Also be sure that the Alcoa axle cover is securely reinstalled (it's friction fit and a $75 replacement item if it pops off on rough roads)

NOTE: You may even consider buying a torque wrench for use when doing pre-trip/trip inspection of your tires and wheels.

Good Luck and Happy Camping
Old 01-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sparks , Nevada
Never had any problem with my TST
Old 01-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
S/OS # 023

2005 28' Safari S/O
Indianapolis , Indiana
We installed the TST system 2 years and 10,000 miles ago on our 28' Slideout and our 2010 Toyota Tundra TV - the monitor attaches with a suction cup to the front windshield Great Peace of Mind to be able to monitor both TP and Temp on the trailer and TV in real time while rolling
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlStrmr View Post
I've got my new 2018 Grand Tour and have had the Dually Valve stem extenders installed and want to get a pressure monitoring system. I'd prefer not to have to hardwire a booster. I have seen posts referencing the TST product and have seen non-forum reviews recommending both Tireminder and/or EEZ. Can you comment on your experiences (pro and con) with these or another product? Thank you.
I use the Tireminder Smart TPMS with my rig and it works great. This model uses an application on your smart phone that gives you the status of your tires by location and sets alarm limits. The unit has a booster that can be hardwired to the AS and a Bluetooth transmitter that stays in the TV. I did not hardwire the booster to the battery but used a disconnect in the battery box similar to the connection to the Zamp solar. Without the booster turned on I loose signal to the receiving unit in the TV. I wanted the smartphone app because it did not need another monitor on my windshield.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I view the torque wrench as a must-have, not just a 'might even consider'. Lug nuts should be re-torqued after 50-100 miles, and I never seem to be by a tire shop those few miles after the rotation. So I stop at a rest area and spend a few minutes re-torqueing the wheels.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm thinking that since I have to remove the rims to get the metal valve stems installed, I might as well get the internal sensors with the TST 507 system.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I was not aware that the TST 507 had an internal sensor version. I am aware of the flow through sensor and cap sensor - both external. Will the internal sensor work with the Alcoa rim? I understand that the inside of the rim has a sharp bend where the stem sticks through - such that not all metal stems will work. I think I will get the cap sensor - it is about 2/3 the weight of the flow through. I seldom have to add air to the tires, so the cap sensor should not need to be removed very often.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I was not aware that the TST 507 had an internal sensor version.
Here.