Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

What is a good reliable TPMS to install on the Airstream Interstate?
curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
While you're waiting for some suggestions, you can search the forum as there is a thread where this is discussed ad infinitum.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
There are less expensive alternatives to the one I installed but I have been very pleased with how it works.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...te-131097.html
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I use this one: RV Tire Pressure Kits -*Truck System Technologies
Old 08-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
+1 on the TST System. I have that system with the screw-on flow-thru sensors. Only draw back is the batteries need to be changed every year. The customer service with the TST folks in Georgia is great.

The internally mounted systems like Dill unit jerhofer mentioned above typically have batteries that will last 5-years or so. That's pretty much the life of your tires.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I'm with G Miller. The TST system is very affordable, easy to install and easy to program and it has user changeble batteries. I've had mine for 2 years and it is problem free. I take the sensors off when in storage to conserve batteries and I'm still using the original batteries.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
+1 On this system....flawless performance
Old 08-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
+1 On this system....flawless performance
+2. Same great experience.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
When I was shopping for TPMS I looked for unit with an "Early Warning System" that alarms when the tire first starts to loose air.
Some systems only warn after you have lost lots of air.

Assume your cold inflation pressure is 65psi. This means your hot running pressure might be 75 to 85 psi.
With early warning if you loose about 3 psi or more from the higher, hot running pressure in a couple of minutes you get a warning. So in this example you would get an early warning at about 77 psi. Well before you are doing damage to the tire.

Some systems only warn after you have lost 15% from the cold pressure or in this example you might have to leak down from say 80 psi to 55 psi before you get a warning.

Based on the above I bought the TireTraker system.

Note I do not work for or sell any brand TPMS.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The TST system also has user configurable settings, for both pressure, temperature, and also warns if there is a quick loss of pressure.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quick question. I am considering a TST TPMS system and installing the DL1SP Chrome Dually Valve Kit is this a good solution for my 2015 Interstate Grand Tour?
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Yes, that's exactly what I did, and if you use external sensors, you must replace the original valves on the rear tires with the DL1SP valve kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
Quick question. I am considering a TST TPMS system and installing the DL1SP Chrome Dually Valve Kit is this a good solution for my 2015 Interstate Grand Tour?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post

I also have this setup on my Interstate. After an inner dual flat during a cross county trip I knew I needed a TPMS. The folks at TST provided great customer service when I needed to exchange an internal system for an external system with flow through sensors. I've used mine now for two years with no issues. The batteries need to be changed once a year on the external sensors.

Today when I left home to do some shopping the alarm tripped on my front RH tire because it was 2 psi below the minimum I had set. It was a cold morning and the alarm cleared after driving a few miles. When I returned home I brought all the tires up to the set pressure as they had lost a few psi, mostly from the colder temps.

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
I'd like to add this to my rig - can someone give me a item list and checklist? A budget I'll spend approximated as well. Going to be doing some NC to CA & back driving over next few years and get tired of checking them at each film up.

ALSO: 30,000 miles on factory tires and starting to show wear - recommendations on replacement tires would be great!

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I also have this setup on my Interstate. After an inner dual flat during a cross county trip I knew I needed a TPMS. The folks at TST provided great customer service when I needed to exchange an internal system for an external system with flow through sensors. I've used mine now for two years with no issues. The batteries need to be changed once a year on the external sensors.

Today when I left home to do some shopping the alarm tripped on my front RH tire because it was 2 psi below the minimum I had set. It was a cold morning and the alarm cleared after driving a few miles. When I returned home I brought all the tires up to the set pressure as they had lost a few psi, mostly from the colder temps.

- - Mike

Yep tires will loose pressure for a couple of reasons.

Temperature -Tire pressure will increase / decrease as described by Boyle's Law PV=NRT. I did the math proof in my blog post of March 13 2014
The results show about 2% per 10°F. Info on my blog RVTireSafety on my homepage

Also for Gas permeation. Rubber is not solid. You will loose 1% to 2% per month. This varies by size and type of tire as some have thicker inner-liner than others but I have never seen zero air loss in controlled testing.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I'd like to add this to my rig - can someone give me a item list and checklist? A budget I'll spend approximated as well. Going to be doing some NC to CA & back driving over next few years and get tired of checking them at each film up.

ALSO: 30,000 miles on factory tires and starting to show wear - recommendations on replacement tires would be great!

Mike
TPMS kit, Possible signal booster. Ask kit supplier.
Metal valve stems
Stainless extender hose if you have rear duals.

RE tires
Is there something you do not like about your original tires? If you are basically satisfied with their performance then why change to an unknown?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #17
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

Mike
The Dually valves (DL1SPAL) from "yourtireshopsupply.com" will run you $120. I paid LesSchwaub Tires $90 to install them. The Truck Systems Technology TPMS will run you run you $359 with 6 sensors. (they are available on Amazon.com for less) This price is for standard or flow thru sensors. The TPMS system is easily installed by the user.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
The Dually valves (DL1SPAL) from "yourtireshopsupply.com" will run you $120. I paid LesSchwaub Tires $90 to install them. The Truck Systems Technology TPMS will run you run you $359 with 6 sensors. (they are available on Amazon.com for less) This price is for standard or flow thru sensors. The TPMS system is easily installed by the user.
Might want to get seven sensors, one for the spare tire.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #19
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Might want to get seven sensors, one for the spare tire.
Good idea!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Question

I was reading my Sprinter manual this week and it stated that 'this Sprinter is equipped with a TPMS.' It wasn't listed as an option.

I'm guessing that given the nature of this thread, Airstream did not include the OEM TPMS in the 2016 AS GT Ext? I can't run through the menus just now to check as the AS is in storage and offsite.

Thanks,
-Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote