Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I also have this setup on my Interstate. After an inner dual flat during a cross county trip I knew I needed a TPMS. The folks at TST provided great customer service when I needed to exchange an internal system for an external system with flow through sensors. I've used mine now for two years with no issues. The batteries need to be changed once a year on the external sensors.

Today when I left home to do some shopping the alarm tripped on my front RH tire because it was 2 psi below the minimum I had set. It was a cold morning and the alarm cleared after driving a few miles. When I returned home I brought all the tires up to the set pressure as they had lost a few psi, mostly from the colder temps.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Yep tires will loose pressure for a couple of reasons.

Temperature -Tire pressure will increase / decrease as described by Boyle's Law PV=NRT. I did the math proof in my blog post of March 13 2014
The results show about 2% per 10įF. Info on my blog RVTireSafety on my homepage

Also for Gas permeation. Rubber is not solid. You will loose 1% to 2% per month. This varies by size and type of tire as some have thicker inner-liner than others but I have never seen zero air loss in controlled testing.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I'd like to add this to my rig - can someone give me a item list and checklist? A budget I'll spend approximated as well. Going to be doing some NC to CA & back driving over next few years and get tired of checking them at each film up.

ALSO: 30,000 miles on factory tires and starting to show wear - recommendations on replacement tires would be great!

Mike
TPMS kit, Possible signal booster. Ask kit supplier.
Metal valve stems
Stainless extender hose if you have rear duals.

RE tires
Is there something you do not like about your original tires? If you are basically satisfied with their performance then why change to an unknown?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I'd like to add this to my rig - can someone give me a item list and checklist? A budget I'll spend approximated as well. Going to be doing some NC to CA & back driving over next few years and get tired of checking them at each film up.

ALSO: 30,000 miles on factory tires and starting to show wear - recommendations on replacement tires would be great!

Mike
The Dually valves (DL1SPAL) from "yourtireshopsupply.com" will run you $120. I paid LesSchwaub Tires $90 to install them. The Truck Systems Technology TPMS will run you run you $359 with 6 sensors. (they are available on Amazon.com for less) This price is for standard or flow thru sensors. The TPMS system is easily installed by the user.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
The Dually valves (DL1SPAL) from "yourtireshopsupply.com" will run you $120. I paid LesSchwaub Tires $90 to install them. The Truck Systems Technology TPMS will run you run you $359 with 6 sensors. (they are available on Amazon.com for less) This price is for standard or flow thru sensors. The TPMS system is easily installed by the user.
Might want to get seven sensors, one for the spare tire.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Might want to get seven sensors, one for the spare tire.
Good idea!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Question

I was reading my Sprinter manual this week and it stated that 'this Sprinter is equipped with a TPMS.' It wasn't listed as an option.

I'm guessing that given the nature of this thread, Airstream did not include the OEM TPMS in the 2016 AS GT Ext? I can't run through the menus just now to check as the AS is in storage and offsite.

Thanks,
-Robert
Old 11-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
I was reading my Sprinter manual this week and it stated that 'this Sprinter is equipped with a TPMS.' It wasn't listed as an option.
Sprinter 2500s are required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 138 to be equipped with TPMS. Sprinter 3500s are not required to have TPMS because they have a GVWR over 10,000 pounds, and therefore meet one of the few exceptions in the FMVSS. The Sprinter manuals cover both the 2500 and 3500 models, so just because the manual refers to them doesn't necessarily mean your van came with them.

In addition, even if the stock Sprinter 3500s came with TPMS (they didn't) that would have been for the original steel wheels, not the aftermarket Alcoa aluminum wheels installed by Airstream.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
The TPMS system is easily installed by the user.
I am not mechanically inclined, will this be easy for me to install? If I don't need to pay someone to install that would be great.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You'll need to replace the valve stems w/ the ones referenced in Post #17 unless you opt for internal TPMSs. Either way you'll need to break the tires down. Probably not a DIY job.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #24
Amg
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I just had my tires balanced (the factory does not balance the wheels). If I have to have the wheels broken down will I need to rebalance the wheels?
Old 11-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If they mark the position of the tire on the wheel and carefully remount it, then technically you shouldn't need to rebalance. I've had that done when replacing the TPMSs on my Tahoe where they didn't actually remove the tire but just broke the bead next to the sensor and replaced it w/o moving the tire wrt the wheel. They should be able to do that when putting on the new extension valve stems.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
You'll need to replace the valve stems w/ the ones referenced in Post #17 unless you opt for internal TPMSs. Either way you'll need to break the tires down. Probably not a DIY job.
I plan on replacing the stems with dually's. Once that is done, is the TPMS a self-install project?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
I plan on replacing the stems with dually's. Once that is done, is the TPMS a self-install project?

Thanks
The Truck Systems Technology TPMS system is self-install. The included manual provides all the info you will need to code the sensors and program the system. The sensors are coded to their specific tire location so if you take them off you can return them to their assigned tire. By programming you will be setting the temperature and pressure parameters. The whole thing will take 30 minutes more or less. Once installed the monitor will cycle between each tire indicating the temp and pressure for that tire for about 5 seconds. You can hardwire your monitor or simply plug it into a 12v plug to recharge occasionally. A charge will last for about a week.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #28
Amg
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Where is a good place to install the monitor for the TPMS?