Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Pompano Beach , Florida
Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendation

My wife and I took delivery of a new 2013 Interstate Lounge WD from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey April 29, 2013 and drove it home to Florida. We love it and look forward to this new chapter. But first I need a good tire pressure gauge recommendation.
Jodason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
On the inexpensive side a digital gauge from a retailer you trust. LONGACRE RACING for a high quality gauge.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You want a truck tire pressure gauge. Also called a "dual chuck" gauge. Needs to be able to register at least 80 psi (you inflate to 61 psi cold, but that can be higher after the tires are warm from driving for a while). I use a digital model that I bought at Pep Boys. It's accurate enough, and I ignore tenths of a psi on the gauge anyway, so anywhere between 60.5 and 61.4 is close enough to 61 psi for my purposes.

While you're at it, you want to get an air compressor with a dual chuck, for inflating the tires. Since you have a convenient 120vAC outlet on the curb-side rear quarter panel, you don't need to use one of those dinky 12vDC compressors that take forever to air up a tire. Just fire up the generator, plug the compressor into the exterior outlet, and you're ready.

I use a Craftsman 120vAC compressor that I bought at K-mart for less than $100, that has a 1.5-gallon air tank and will handle up to 150 psi. With it set on 125 psi, it will air up a tire to 61 psi very quickly.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Front Royal , Virginia
Hey Protagonist,

I ran a search for air compressors and found this thread. I think we may use and or have the same compressor. It is made by Craftsman and it works great. I changed to a regular hose and got a double chuck for it.

I'm wondering if you carry it with you since it weighs approx. 25 pounds. If so where do you store it?
SGT DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I found an air pump at an auto store that runs off of AC or DC. Its advantage is you connect the pump, set the desired inflation pressure, push the button, and it does the rest accurately and quickly. IIRC it cost $49.95.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You can get compressors that run directly off the battery terminals and do a great job. They are by no means "dinky" and can fill quickly.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
My Interstate has an MB supplied air compressor ("Electric Air Pump") and "Premium Air Sealant" which I have never used. These are found behind the panel in the curb side foot well. The compressor is 12v and quite small so it's probably SLOW! But I've never used it.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
Accurate tire pressure is VERY important in tow vehicles and RVs. Buy a high quality gauge that will be accurate and won't tear up the first time you drop it. Inexpensive tire gauges are no bargain in the long run.

I have the Milton S986 Service gauge - straight foot, dual head chuck - made in the USA, solid built and it's long (about 13 inches). You won't lose it easy.

10 to 160 PSI in 2 lb increments

Around 20 bucks
sandhill3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT DAVE View Post
Hey Protagonist,

I ran a search for air compressors and found this thread. I think we may use and or have the same compressor. It is made by Craftsman and it works great. I changed to a regular hose and got a double chuck for it.

I'm wondering if you carry it with you since it weighs approx. 25 pounds. If so where do you store it?
Being a solo traveler (usually) if I carry my compressor with me I put it in the passenger-side front seat footwell. If I have a front seat passenger, I put it in the space between the driver's seat and the galley— with the wardrobe I only have one second-row seat, by the sliding side door, none behind the driver.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1335740

" . . The LONGACRE RACING tire gage (that was recommended earlier in this thread) turned the annoying TPMS warnings on the GoldWing motorcycle into past history. The home air compressor's air chuck with gage was actually 6 psi low at 41 psi and that lower pressure triggered the TPMS warning. The other tire gages were also inaccurate. I now verify tire pressure on all my vehicles with this new gage. Longacre has factory refurbished units for around $100 versus $135 for new and they come with the same warranty. I returned the unit to check calibration because of the error mentioned above, I thought the error was in the Longacre. It was spot on."

LONGACRE RACING
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote