Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Mobile , Alabama
Tire pressure & temperature monitoring system

Our 2016 Interstate XL didn't come with a tire pressure and temperature monitoring system installed at the factory. Has anyone installed an aftermarket unit? If so, could you please provide some details; model, likes/dislikes, etc.? Thank you.
MobileRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I installed a Dill Model 1506. It works great. There are a few issues with varying severity:
1. MINOR. The display has multiple choices for configuration, but none match a tandem wheel trailer. I use the one for a two axle wagon, i.e. Axles at the front and rear of the trailer.
2. MODERATE. The indication of which tire is being monitored is to blink the small block on the display depicting the tire at a slow rate. When I want to check temperature and pressure, I have to stare at the display longer than I feel comfortable taking my eyes off the road.
3. MODERATE Although I knew this when I bought it, the transducer batteries are not replaceable and the transducers mount inside the wheels. When the batteries die, the tires have to be at least partially dismounted and the whole transducer replaced. The cost of 5 transducers is close to the price of a complete new system. I chose this system because I read reports of valve stem failures from the weight of stem-mounted transducers and the potential for theft. I'm thinking about going to an external transducer system with replaceable batteries at replacement time.
4. MINOR No way to test the alarm or familiarize yourself with it. The first and only time mine went off it took us a while to figure out what it was. We were getting amber and silver alerts on my phone which was connected to the car radio via Bluetooth.
5. MINOR You have to reset the whole system and then wait for it to acquire all four tires when you change one tire. This is an aggravation on the side of the road.

Al

The good stuff
1. The system saved me from expensive trailer damage when some debris cut a tire. After about a mile it alarmed at 59 psi (set for cold pressure of 75) and I was able to slow down and get off the interstate before and trailer damage was done.
2. Easy to install and comes with a short stubby antenna for the back of the unit as well as a remote (wired) antenna for cases when the signal isn't strong enough for the small antenna.
3. Loud, did I say LOUD alarm that will get your attention when something goes wrong.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRVR View Post
Our 2016 Interstate XL didn't come with a tire pressure and temperature monitoring system installed at the factory. Has anyone installed an aftermarket unit? If so, could you please provide some details; model, likes/dislikes, etc.? Thank you.
I used the Truck Systems Technologies (TST) TPMS System. It is very easy to program, has user changeable batteries and customizable for up to 22 wheel positions. I have mine set up for the 6 wheels on the AI + 4 more on my tandem axle trailer. Protag had suggested getting an extra sensor for the spare and for that matter you could get a 2nd extra sensor for the trailer spare. (if you pull a trailer).

What ever you get, be sure to change out the tire stems on the duals to steel or brass stems to support the weight of the sensors. Most of us on the forum use the Dually Valve Kit (DL1SPAL) which costs $120 from yourtireshopsupply.com.

I paid around $90 to have them installed. You can do a google search for the best pricing on the TST system but last time I purchased I got a good deal at Roadtrucker.com.

Good luck
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I used the Truck Systems Technologies (TST) TPMS System. It is very easy to program, has user changeable batteries and customizable for up to 22 wheel positions. I have mine set up for the 6 wheels on the AI + 4 more on my tandem axle trailer. Protag had suggested getting an extra sensor for the spare and for that matter you could get a 2nd extra sensor for the trailer spare. (if you pull a trailer).

What ever you get, be sure to change out the tire stems on the duals to steel or brass stems to support the weight of the sensors. Most of us on the forum use the Dually Valve Kit (DL1SPAL) which costs $120 from yourtireshopsupply.com.

I paid around $90 to have them installed. You can do a google search for the best pricing on the TST system but last time I purchased I got a good deal at Roadtrucker.com.

Good luck

+1, I followed this same path. Works great and greatly reduced my concerns over tire monitoring.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
This thread has some info re: TPMS and extended metal valve stems.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Dill works great, but I don't like the power plugging into the bottom of the display. It limits where I can mount the display. I wish the power came into the back of the display like the external antenna does.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
I used the Truck Systems Technologies (TST) TPMS System. Dually Valve Kit (DL1SPAL) which costs $120 from yourtireshopsupply.com.Good luck
I also purchased the TST system and the Dually Valve Kit. I ordered the Dually Valve Kit from Good Sam for around $90.00 with the Good Sam membership. Had them installed by Discount Tire center.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I purchased the EEZ TPMS and am happy with the performance. The monitor has rechargeable battery that last 5 or more days without a charge so you can place it where ever you want. I got the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q..._Pjy4xbFXWMBJ3
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
Tpms

Like the prior message I own the EezRV TPMS. I has performed great. I tow with an E350 van pulling a 30 Classic. I do not need an amplifier for the trailer wheels.

In June on the day we were leaving California for Wisconsin, the pin for the 12v power plug broke. I called the company late in the day. When I got to Wisconsin a replacement unit was waiting at my bothers house. All I had to do is reprogram the unit - a challenge in concentration on getting all the wheels up and running.

Last year in Glacier NP it saved a tire that was leaking slowly.

Be sure to install metal valve stems. The non metals leak after a time. The sending unit must flex the stems more than can be tolerated by plastic.

Clyde
ezairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Been using the Pressure pro since 2006. Sensors finally needed exchanged last year but they are discounted substantially if you send them in for exchange. Zero chance for leak because they are completely 100% sealed, submersible and never any fussing with reception. They are the "Airstream" if you will when it comes to TPMS so they do cost a little more and the only one made in the USA. Here is a direct link to the manufacture website. Pressurepro
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #11
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
The EEZ TPMS components look suspiciously like TST components. I would assume the EEZ is manufactured by TST.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
TST, Hawkshead and EEZ TPMS appear to be based on the same reference design.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
+1, I followed this same path. Works great and greatly reduced my concerns over tire monitoring.
Now you got my curiousity!
What Airstream uses "Dually" wheels??
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Interstate on Sprinter van.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Three years ago, I purchased a "NVision" TPMS from a local RV dealer. ($500)
It too used four sensors, one for each wheel, that had to be 'introduced' to each tire position.
For the first year it worked ok, giving me tire pressures and a green light saying 'everything is good'.
The second year, I would get an orange light occasionally on the RT. FRONT tire, then it would go to green for awhile, then orange.
I swapped sensors, to see if the 'snag' followed the sensor, but no; it showed RH. FWD. all the time.
I then purchased a new set of two sensors, ($190) and tried one on the RH/FWD tire.
STILL got orange light, occasionally changing to green when underway.
I stayed with this unit, reasoning that as long as it didn't show Red, I could live with it.
This year, I got a RED light, (tire checked OK) then after awhile green/orange/green when underway. PHOOEY!
At a local speed shop, I purchased ANOTHER 'NVision' TPM. ($429), and after an hour with the tech rep in Kansas, was able to get the machine to accept the sensors. This, after using one of the spare sensors, that I had previously purchased.
I wanted the security of knowing my tire condition, because of a planned trip to Sudbury; a long way away.
The next day, when underway, the 'NVision' did not work at all, showing me no tire information. That was enough! So..........
Upon return to Blenheim, it took me two weeks to get a refund from the store for the second set, and I sent the original one back to the Mfgr. so the Engineers can figure it out.
I'm now using a set of tire pressure valve caps from Amazon, that show green band at 50 PSI, and red lower.
I now have an excuse to do an occasional 'walk-around'.
They will be tested out this weekend on another trip.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Now you got my curiousity!
What Airstream uses "Dually" wheels??

Airstream Interstate touring coach which is what this forum is all about. Seems like you have an Airstream Travel Trailer. Different Forum.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
[QUOTE=c21bill;1854645]Airstream Interstate touring coach which is what this forum is all about. Seems like you have an Airstream Travel Trailer. Different Forum.[/QUOTE

Curious statement
Yes, I do have a travel trailer, but......
I thought that the Forum was about ALL Airstreams.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
[QUOTE=MelGoddard;1854804]
Quote:
Airstream Interstate touring coach which is what this forum is all about. Seems like you have an Airstream Travel Trailer. Different Forum.[/QUOTE

Curious statement
Yes, I do have a travel trailer, but......
I thought that the Forum was about ALL Airstreams.
Hi Mel, there are actually several forums under the general heading "Air Forums" This forum is called "Sprinter and "B" Van Forum" which is a sub-category of the "Airstream Motorhome Forum". Of course anyone is allowed to participate but you will find a lot of discussion here that is not relative to the trailers.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Three years ago, I purchased a "NVision" TPMS from a local RV dealer. ($500)
It too used four sensors, one for each wheel, that had to be 'introduced' to each tire position.
For the first year it worked ok, giving me tire pressures and a green light saying 'everything is good'.
The second year, I would get an orange light occasionally on the RT. FRONT tire, then it would go to green for awhile, then orange.
I swapped sensors, to see if the 'snag' followed the sensor, but no; it showed RH. FWD. all the time.
I then purchased a new set of two sensors, ($190) and tried one on the RH/FWD tire.
STILL got orange light, occasionally changing to green when underway.
I stayed with this unit, reasoning that as long as it didn't show Red, I could live with it.
This year, I got a RED light, (tire checked OK) then after awhile green/orange/green when underway. PHOOEY!
At a local speed shop, I purchased ANOTHER 'NVision' TPM. ($429), and after an hour with the tech rep in Kansas, was able to get the machine to accept the sensors. This, after using one of the spare sensors, that I had previously purchased.
I wanted the security of knowing my tire condition, because of a planned trip to Sudbury; a long way away.
The next day, when underway, the 'NVision' did not work at all, showing me no tire information. That was enough! So..........
Upon return to Blenheim, it took me two weeks to get a refund from the store for the second set, and I sent the original one back to the Mfgr. so the Engineers can figure it out.
I'm now using a set of tire pressure valve caps from Amazon, that show green band at 50 PSI, and red lower.
I now have an excuse to do an occasional 'walk-around'.
They will be tested out this weekend on another trip.
"Fussy sensor syndrome?"
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #20
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I have the Doran system..... No complaints at all.

I was a bit concerned about sensor battery life but after three years in heat and cold - they still function fine.

It was easy to set up and its easy to mothball.

Cheers