Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
Thank you all for your replies. Maybe it'll be a bit more comfy ride now.
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
What I notice on this Airstream forum is that , different to other fora , the pressure is adviced lower then AT-pressure written on sidewall.

My conclusion about this is that contrary to most trailers, Airstream Trailers have tires that have a comfortable reserve .

This yustifies a lower pressure then AT-pressure ( wich is not the maximum pressure of a tire by the way).

I will give a link to topic started by me on RV forum about comparing tires with in last reactions of mine a spreadsheet to make your own pressure loadcapacity list for the specific tire you have under your Airstream.
So you dont have to search for such a list and its made with extra save formula.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to compare tires for replacement and needed pressure

Then if there are questions you can ask them here, and if you want me to make you a filled in list , give the needed data and I will do it for you.
Then you will find that there is not one ideal pressure , but a range in the pressure that is save for the tires at your used maximum speed, and still comfort ( screws loose or broken dishes) and gripp is acceptable.
But then always try to keep it filled up to highest possible and dont worry if in time it drops to the lowest given advice.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
What I notice on this Airstream forum is that , different to other fora , the pressure is adviced lower then AT-pressure written on sidewall.

My conclusion about this is that contrary to most trailers, Airstream Trailers have tires that have a comfortable reserve.
Well, we were discussing the tires on a Sprinter-based Airstream Interstate, not an Airstream trailer, so discussion of trailer tires really isn't pertinent, but since we resolved the issue already, I suppose some thread drift wouldn't hurt much. Now opening the discussion to trailer tires…
Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
But i can also give advice for Motorhomes RV if you like.
And the system for higher loadcapacity for lower speed also counts for motorhomes.
Because I am from Holland ( Europe) , I am not that familiair with the American terms in the RV world sorry.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
Thanks to everyone who helped to clear up the tire pressure question. But here's the dumbest question of all: I'm not entirely new to motor vehicles, but where do I check the tire pressure on the OUTER wheels in the rear? Those nice shiny Alcoa wheels look great, but I'll be darned if I can see a valve stem anywhere. I can see the fronts OK, and the INNER stem in the rear (the one that everyone always asks about), but where are the OUTER stems? As you guessed by now, I'm new to this: '15 Grand Tour, 2 months old. Thanks for any help, and please don't make me look TOO dumb.
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoy View Post
Thanks to everyone who helped to clear up the tire pressure question. But here's the dumbest question of all: I'm not entirely new to motor vehicles, but where do I check the tire pressure on the OUTER wheels in the rear? Those nice shiny Alcoa wheels look great, but I'll be darned if I can see a valve stem anywhere. I can see the fronts OK, and the INNER stem in the rear (the one that everyone always asks about), but where are the OUTER stems? As you guessed by now, I'm new to this: '15 Grand Tour, 2 months old. Thanks for any help, and please don't make me look TOO dumb.
The stems face inward, and probably halfway around from where the inner tire stems face outward. To check the tire pressure, you need a push-pull truck-style gauge.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
The valve for the outer wheel is pointing inwards unfortunately, and is usually positioned on the opposite side from the inner valve. It's a hands and knees job (hard for me since I have bad knees) and you'll also need a flashlight to see it. You'll also need a tire gauge and tire inflation equipment with a dually head.
You can get U-shaped extended valves, but they are a pain and quite expensive to have installed.
Be careful of the valve extensions you have on there now - they are flimsy and can break easily.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
My former 2014/13 Interstate has a sticker listing the single AND duals at 61psi. And to check the pressure I have an accurate gauge. I've checked it against 2 other gauges and they all run within 2 pounds of each other. I use the same gauge all the time and carry it in my van. And measure tires at "cold" pressure. Don't measure the pressure after you have driven any length of time and have warmed up the tires.

Interesting to note that just about an hour ago I was checking the pressures on my new 2015/14 Roadtrek 3500 also with extended Mercedes chassis and using same tires Roadtrek suggests 55 psi front and 61 psi on each of the tires in the duals.

I follow the manufacturer's recommendation as I travel pretty loaded with close-to-max weight.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all, especially for not insulting my lack of knowledge. The reason I'm checking is that the fronts (which are much easier to check) are up at 76 PSI which means the dealer can't read door stickers. So, now I want to check them all because I'm sure they are all overinflated./ I'm just annoyed that I've driven 2,000+ miles without checking. BTW, every time I take my other vehicles in for tire service, they come back overinflated. Must be some sort of routine they all follow.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
I consider the 'tire pressure' discussion to be on par with religion and politics; every one has an opinion and their opinion is right.
Personally, I had the same questions as you. Shouldn't I have more pressure when the van is loaded? The door sticker is the Mercedes Van recommendation. Airstream modified it and added a lot of weight. The pressure should be increased. Etc, etc.

I went thru the weighing option, but never got a good answer from anyone. Sure, i've seen the GoodYear charts, however, I'm driving on Michelins. I can't find a chart for them. I wrote the GoodYear crew to get an interpretation of their tables. They told me to go to a local GoodYear tire dealer. I went to 2 different ones; neither could give me advice (I posted my GY letter on this forum or the SprinterForum site. I don't believe I received any good responses. I'd post it now, but I'm on my iPhone and it's too difficult to navigate/view while in a car).

The bottom line is that I follow the door sticker. 61psi all around. BTW, there is also an Airstream sticker (in addition to the OEM) that states 61 psi. I've been running that pressure for about a year with good results.

As far as the rear tire valves go, get yourself an early Christmas present and order some valves designed for our application. Check out http://www.duallyvalve.com. For my 2012 EXT, I ordered the DL1SPAL. Well worth every penny.

2012 Interstate EXT
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
?....
I went thru the weighing option, but never got a good answer from anyone. Sure, i've seen the GoodYear charts, however, I'm driving on Michelins. I can't find a chart for them........

The bottom line is that I follow the door sticker. 61psi all around. BTW, there is also an Airstream sticker (in addition to the OEM) that states 61 psi. I've been running that pressure for about a year with good results.

As far as the rear tire valves go, get yourself an early Christmas present and order some valves designed for our application. Check out http://www.duallyvalve.com. For my 2012 EXT, I ordered the DL1SPAL. Well worth every penny.

2012 Interstate EXT

The Michelin tire pressure charts are in this document, page 18:
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

... and here on page 20:
http://read.dmtmag.com/i/58068/21

61 psi is the Mercedes recommended tire pressure for a Sprinter 3500 running at max GVW of 11,030 lbs. It's really just hard engineering data, but everyone is entitled to there opinion on the Internet.

I also have those dually valves - they are great! After installing the dually valves with my new Michelins I added a TPMS so I won't repeat my experience of running an inner dual flat. Fortunately I noticed it during a tire check at a rest stop in Arkansas this spring. Got the spare installed courtesy of Coach Net.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The valve for the outer wheel is pointing inwards unfortunately, and is usually positioned on the opposite side from the inner valve. It's a hands and knees job (hard for me since I have bad knees) and you'll also need a flashlight to see it. You'll also need a tire gauge and tire inflation equipment with a dually head.
You can get U-shaped extended valves, but they are a pain and quite expensive to have installed.
Be careful of the valve extensions you have on there now - they are flimsy and can break easily.
I must be losing whatever marbles I have left. Based on this specific info, I went back to those rear tires, but I can't seem to find ANYTHING on the inside of the rim. In any case, how do you get in there? The two tires only have maybe 2" between them. I can't get my hand more that finger length deep, nowhere near far enough to feel around for a stem, not to mention how to get a gauge in there. What am I missing? Be kind... I used to be pretty smart.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I must be losing whatever marbles I have left. Based on this specific info, I went back to those rear tires, but I can't seem to find ANYTHING on the inside of the rim. In any case, how do you get in there? The two tires only have maybe 2" between them. I can't get my hand more that finger length deep, nowhere near far enough to feel around for a stem, not to mention how to get a gauge in there. What am I missing? Be kind... I used to be pretty smart.
Go in through the gap in the spokes on the outer wheel, not between the tires.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Look at the front wheel and it's in the same place on the outside dual. As Protag said, it's accessible thru the hand-hole.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Go in through the gap in the spokes on the outer wheel, not between the tires.
Duh... now I REALLY feel dumb. Of course, there they are. Why didn't I think of that? Now I can sleep tonight.....
Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Duh... now I REALLY feel dumb. Of course, there they are. Why didn't I think of that? Now I can sleep tonight.....
Well, I apologize for my poor choice of words: should have said something like diametrically opposite the valve for the inner wheel and viewed through the outer wheel from the outside! Or something like that.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Don't feel dumb. You're smarter now than when you asked the question, and that's all that counts.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
New Bern , North Carolina
2008 Sprinter Manual Tire Inflation Pressure

Page 628 in my 2008 Manual recommends 55 psi front and 61 psi rear for
LT 215/85 R 16 115/112 N or Q tires. These numbers are also posted on the door post labels. The front OEM tires were badly worn and cupped on the outer edges at 23,000 miles ( never rotated) and I have replaced all six at 34,000 miles and plan to inflate them all to 61 psi.
But, why does my Manual recommend 55 psi in the front while newer models recommend 61?
Prairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie View Post
But, why does my Manual recommend 55 psi in the front while newer models recommend 61?
My 2011 Sprinter manual still recommends 55psi for the front tires for any Sprinter 2500 and any Sprinter 3500 with a GVWR of less than 11,030 pounds. Only the 11,030 GVWR Sprinter 3500 models have a recommended front pressure of 61psi. Reason being, the higher GVWR requires higher pressure to support it.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I would think you'd be better to go by the sticker on the door jamb. Mine says 61 psi all around.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote