Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
san francisco , California
tire issue

Back from our 1k shakedown trip. Still troubleshooting the dragging wire issue, but in addition to that an inspection of the tire tread showed this damage on the front tire. It's holding pressure just fine, but it doesn't look pretty. These are original tires, manufactured in early 2010. What do folks think? Leave as is (I'm not too inclined to do this). Replace front two or all six?

Americas tire has the Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G053 for $103/ea
BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All Season for $119
Cooper Discoverer H/T $138
Cooper Discoverer HTP $140
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	240328  
rwcmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcmick View Post
Back from our 1k shakedown trip. Still troubleshooting the dragging wire issue, but in addition to that an inspection of the tire tread showed this damage on the front tire. It's holding pressure just fine, but it doesn't look pretty. These are original tires, manufactured in early 2010. What do folks think? Leave as is (I'm not too inclined to do this). Replace front two or all six?
That is a flat just waiting to happen. And a flat tire on the front means a possible loss of control.

I'd suggest inspecting the other six (don't forget the spare) and see what condition they're in. If this is the only one showing damage, swap out the damaged front tire and the (probably unused) spare even though it means dismounting and remounting. That's still cheaper than buying new tires.

If even one other tire on the van shows similar damage, replace them all, because the others probably won't be far behind.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What vehicle?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
How much is your Interstate worth?
How much does a tire cost?
Cheep insurance!

Looks like lots of tread left.

Depending of the make: the best are supposedly good for ten years.

I always buy tires in pairs. (don't know why, but just seems right and safer).

I would put the new tires on the rear outside, this is where the most severe accidents happen when you do have a blowout (per New York and California Highway Patrol stats).
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
From what I can see, the other front tire does have a small chunk of the lug taken out, but not into the tire like this one does. I'm inclined to get six new Yokos as out the door it'll be under 1k. During our trip we were on I-5 and drove on a section of I-5 that felt like several miles. It was in the process of resurfacing and then had ground off the pavement in advance. It was the roughest section of I-5 I've ever seen. I imagine that section of pavement didn't help things at all.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The damage appears to be caused by running over an object that didn't penetrate but could have damaged the cords. Best to get it dismounted and inspected to be sure.

Edit: Since you are planning on getting new tires, be sure you get LTs (light truck). Regular car tires won't cut it. I've read where some are get the Michelin LTX tires and are pleased w/ them and claim they ride better but almost any new tire will ride better since it has hardened w/ time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
What vehicle?
2011 Airstream Interstate per his avatar profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post

I always buy tires in pairs. (don't know why, but just seems right and safer).
Maybe cuz that's what most vehicle mfgs recommend. Due to circumference differences between old and new tires, the vehicle computer senses it and at best will trigger a "stability control" alert lite and at worst put vehicle in limp home mode. Also if the two tires are on the rear, they will cause the differential to be activated when on straight travel. You are doing the correct thing.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Go for Michelin LT's on your Interstate. Had a blowout on older tires because of PO's use of rubber stems and had to also buy a new spare because of age. (Illegal to put over 10 year old tire on rim, according to tire shop in California. Michelin's are worth the extra money for safety and peace of mind. They have always given me the longest wear.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Go for Michelin LT's on your Interstate. Had a blowout on older tires because of PO's use of rubber stems and had to also buy a new spare because of age. (Illegal to put over 10 year old tire on rim, according to tire shop in California. Michelin's are worth the extra money for safety and peace of mind. They have always given me the longest wear.

+1 on this recommendation. Tires over 5 years should be replaced no matter what the tread looks like, especially if they have low mileage and sit a lot without moving.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Just checked several tire mfgs and vehicle mfgs and the minimum replacement for age was six years in use and ten years after manufacture regardless of usage age.

Personally I think it depends a lot on how the tire is used, environment, and the tire's age since manufacture. A RV tire that sits outside in Phoenix w/o protection and is only driven once or twice a year may only be serviceable for 2-3 years.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
If you are a member of FMCA you can buy Michelins at a pretty good discount. If not, it might pay to join to get the discount. More data is available on the FMCA webpage.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
You don't know the history of these tires. They are 5 years old. At least one is unsafe. Get new tires.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Resolution: six new michelins for just over $1100
Old 06-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
GREAT DECISION, please is metal good quality valve stems.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
USE METAL VALVE STEMS ---------Darn auto-correct
Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Replace them all, seven of them.