Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question Tire covers or 303 UV Protectant?

Believe me, I searched the forum... after 17 pages I stopped looking. Could not find a thread in this section about this.

With tires needing to be changed what? every 5-6 years... do I even bother using tire covers???

DCO 3752 Silver #2 Diamond Plated Steel Vinyl Tyre Gard Wheel Cover, (Set of 2) (Fits 30"-32")

Or just use some 303 UV Protectant and call it a day??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71BXYeqO4rL._SL1230_.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	319967  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tire covers.

Maggie
Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Both from what i’ve See on YouTube, but most of us are belt and suspenders kinda people.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Believe me, I searched the forum... after 17 pages I stopped looking. Could not find a thread in this section about this.

With tires needing to be changed what? every 5-6 years... do I even bother using tire covers???

DCO 3752 Silver #2 Diamond Plated Steel Vinyl Tyre Gard Wheel Cover, (Set of 2) (Fits 30"-32")

I just bought 4 covers by KAKIT on amazon prime. They really look nice Abe were easy to use.

Bought the covers for the same reason I wear clothes: they protect my skin and I look a lot better.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Both x2.
Special tire covers cost a fortune and don't last that long, when I always have scrap plywood for the job.
Commercial tires suppose to have 10 years life span. All subject to inspections.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Both...👍 + a drainage tile just for THOI.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_59.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	319986  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I change the trailer tires every 4 years. I do not use covers.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I change the trailer tires every 4 years. I do not use covers.
We do the same with the boat trailer... in that one we do not even bother to get tires and mount them on the old rims. We just get the wheel set that comes already with tires mounted and ready to go... cheaper than buying a new tire... never understood that one...

Back to the AI, I already sprayed some 303 since I had it at home... so at least they have some protection.

I will get the covers if only to keep the rims clean while parked in storage. Lame excuse since those rims clean so easy with just a water and car wash soap...

I am already starting to work on my wife to convince her that we have to move to a house where we can park the AI inside the garage... I do not like having it parked in storage...even if it is only 5 miles away.
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Tire covers

Plywood works great.....
tbadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #10

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbadams View Post
Plywood works great.....

At least the covers are flexible, collapsible and occupy little space when not in use...

Plywood? Realy? And then place a protector over the plywood to avoid it rotting
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
I use the snap ring tire savers by covercraft. Easy to “snap” onto the wheel.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:

I made some out od black out curtin fabric following utube instructions. should last long
TheParula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
303 UV Protectant, if that is what you use, needs to be applied to BOTH sides of the tire. (admittedly a total PITA.)

UV has this nasty habit of reflecting off pavement and getting to the back side of the tire...

I use both tire covers and protectant spray, and try to keep the AS in a shady area if possible. My covers wrap around the back of the tire somewhat...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:

WACHUKO - I have used both (not on AI) on a few of my cars for many years. My personal experience & opinions on them are:

- 303 Protectant works great. I have primarily used them, on my racing bikes that are bare titanium or bare carbon fiber. But they work great on rubber. I like them better than the tire treatments from the auto parts stores.

- If I was to store a vehicle outdoors for an extended period, I would probably use tire covers. But then again, if the vehicle does not have a car cover, then what is the point? And using a car cover on an outdoor stored vehicle presents it's own pros/cons. ROBERTCROSS made a good point on drain tile. While it may seem overkill, I had dry rotted a set of Michelin when I was living in San Francisco. I stored a vehicle outdoors on a gravel lot (not by choice). The rains, high humidity, poor drainage from tires, and constant UV exposure without being driven combined to dry rot the set in less than 4yrs. I doubt this will happen with your AI since you constantly use it.

- If I was planning on using the vehicle often anyways, I won't go through the hassle of tire covers. Regular washing and 303 in my experience is more than adequate even if my car stays outside 24hrs/ 365days. My 1979 Pontiac Trans Am which has seen it's share of harsh weather conditions being stored outside (Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas) still has it's original BF Goodrich Radial T/A and cosmetically they are still perfect. Of course, those almost 40yr old tires will obviously never see the road, the car is just being stored for it's classic car status. On a vehicle that is regularly used/maintained, as you said, you would bump into the 5-6yrs of use expectancy of your set before UV damage or tread wear would be the overriding issue. I too plan on replacing tires in 6yrs. My friend replaces tires at 5 yrs on his Class A tag axle (8 tires, not even 20,00 miles, talk about expensive).

- Believe it or not, there was a reason I used car & tire covers EVEN when they were stored in garage. Many decades ago, I was convinced by an auto detailer to cover my cars right after it gets detailed even if storing in garage. He said covers should only be used on newly cleaned surfaces and to protect car from dirt and people/hazards even in garage. But it wasn't until we got our puppy golden doodle Belle that I used tire covers after detailing cars for storage. She decided newly cleaned car tires were better for pee-breaks than fire hydrants or light poles. To this day, I still cover tires when car is in long term storage. Old habits die hard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180816_114027.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	320039  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #15

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
303 UV Protectant, if that is what you use, needs to be applied to BOTH sides of the tire. (admittedly a total PITA.)

UV has this nasty habit of reflecting off pavement and getting to the back side of the tire...

I use both tire covers and protectant spray, and try to keep the AS in a shady area if possible. My covers wrap around the back of the tire somewhat...
Thank you! Was not aware... I only applied it to the side facing out... good to know. Yeah, that is going to be somewhat of a PITA, and because of the size of these tires, I might need to buy it by the gallon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - I have used both (not on AI) on a few of my cars for many years. My personal experience & opinions on them are:

- 303 Protectant works great. I have primarily used them, on my racing bikes that are bare titanium or bare carbon fiber. But they work great on rubber. I like them better than the tire treatments from the auto parts stores.

- ...ROBERTCROSS made a good point on drain tile. While it may seem overkill, I had dry rotted a set of Michelin when I was living in San Francisco. I stored a vehicle outdoors on a gravel lot (not by choice). The rains, high humidity, poor drainage from tires, and constant UV exposure without being driven combined to dry rot the set in less than 4yrs. I doubt this will happen with your AI since you constantly use it...
Thank you Alex. As you can see in the photo, mine is also stored over gravel. I thought that was a good thing as it should minimize flat spots... but did not think about the issues related to humidity/rain puddles

WBCCI #26769
Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #16

Orlando , Florida
Thank you all. Went with some inexpensive ones that fit 30"32" diameter tires. 4 covers for 24.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXRDLGQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Now to buy that 303 in bulk, lol...
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:

Roger Marble, AKA Tireman 9, at RVTiresafety.net discussed the points of using both to protect our RV tires.
He concluded that the color of tire covers also has an impact!

Here's a couple of links;
http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2014/04/...ion-facts.html
http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2011/06/...-any-good.html
Old 08-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
BARTOW , Florida
Tire Covers...

I've been wondering about this... are all AS tires the same size? I have a 2004 Classic 34...
BeckyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My Airstream is always in motion. Despite being docked for as long as a month I don't bother with covers as I'm buying 6 tires every year. I'm the one guy on the forums who wears his tires out rather than having them time out!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #20

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
My Airstream is always in motion. Despite being docked for as long as a month I don't bother with covers as I'm buying 6 tires every year. I'm the one guy on the forums who wears his tires out rather than having them time out!
6 tires every year?! That is a lot of mileage!!!

Mine will definitely time out, lol.

Silver covers ordered should be here tomorrow.
WBCCI #26769