Old 12-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherman Oaks , California
Tire chains???

When I called my Airstream dealer to find out what snow chains I should purchase for our Interstate, he passed me on to the Mercedes dealer. The Mercedes dealer said snow chains were not needed on a dually (sp?) and they would void the warranty. Is this true? We have since been in the mountains, once when chains were required. It didn't seem an option. I hope to hit the slopes again soon where chains are required so I thought I would ask the experts what you are doing.

Thank you in advance :-)

Old 12-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Your wheelwell clearance isn't very large, and most tire chains will not fit without causing damage to the wheelwell or fender. There are some low-profile designs that use straps instead of actual chains that might work, but you might be better off with studded snow tires than with chains.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Will studded snow tires get you by the law for requiring chains?

And what about states that don't allow studded tires anymore?

Ten states prohibit studded snow tires: Alabama, Texas, Florida, Maryland (exception five mountain counties), Louisiana, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Mississippi and Wisconsin.
The District of Columbia and 33 states have seasonal restrictions: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.
Seven states allow unrestricted use of studded tires: Colorado, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Kentucky, New Mexico, Vermont and Wyoming.

And some of the states that allow them only allow "rubber" studs. Not sure what they are or if any good.

I remember when I lived in Minneapolis in the early 70s, the roads,especially the interstates, were rutted due to the use of studded tires. Minnesota outlawed them except for out-of-staters and then only for 30 days.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
My guess is you will find that chains are only required on trucks over a fixed weight. This normally would not include your interstate. Further my guess is you will void your warranty if you put them on as the rear ends in these units are designed for this type of thing. Finally if you do use chains make sure you install them correctly as a loose chain will tear your wheel wells up in about 100 yards.... Not a pretty picture!
In the end I would not consider chains and I have been driving winter roads and mountains my whole life

Hope this her,is
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
There is no such thing as "voiding the warranty". It is against the law. What IS true is that any damage provably caused by the chains (or any other aftermarket add-on) would be excluded from warrant coverage.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California

In California chains are required for all vehicles in chain control areas
Old 12-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
My vote would be to avoid areas that need chains at all! But then, I'm a newly crowned snowbird (aka wimp!)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post

In California chains are required for all vehicles in chain control areas
Yes! I would add that all vehicles are required to CARRY them in chain control areas because they can require you to put them on at any time.

I use cables instead of chains as they are much lower profile, smoother ride, and easier to put on if needed. If you get into a snow situation, most of the time they will only require them be put on 2WD vehicles, although I have been in a few situations where they did require me to put them on my 4WD truck.

I would guess the warranty thing would be for damage caused by the tire chains. If not properly fitted, they can come loose and cause substantial damage. Best to check on them frequently.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If needing chains is mandatory by law in an area you want to travel too, but installing said chains will possibly cause damage to your rig. I would carry the chains/straps or cables to gain access to said area, BUT only travel on days that wouldn't require them to be installed and rely on a great set of winter tires to get me around.

To damage your rig JUST because you are unwilling to wait a day or two to let the plough crews clear the road to allow you to travel without the chains installed is just asking for a bunch of heartache.

Just IMHO

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I lived in San Jose I always kept chains in my trunk. I was required to use them several times. I can not recall ever seeing a travel trailer with chains on in my travels.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
When I lived in San Jose I always kept chains in my trunk. I was required to use them several times. I can not recall ever seeing a travel trailer with chains on in my travels.

I've seen it. And still don't believe it. A fairly new big 5er.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Studded tires ARE legal in PA but only during winter time months. I cannot speak for other states. But to the best of my knowledge, I am licensed in PA and it they are legal in certain months in PA I am legal in other states because of reciprocity laws during the same months they are legal in PA.

And yes, look into cable chains. Best company I can suggest is Security Chain Co. Security Chain Company, SCC Tire Chains, Security Chain Co | Peerless Industrial Group

And to have a MB dealer say you don't need them because you have dual tires is just plain nuts or he's an idiot.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post

And yes, look into cable chains. Best company I can suggest is Security Chain Co. Security Chain Company, SCC Tire Chains, Security Chain Co | Peerless Industrial Group

And to have a MB dealer say you don't need them because you have dual tires is just plain nuts or he's an idiot.
Yup, I second that. Semi trucks have duals, two sets of them in most cases, and they need chains, too, when weather turns on them.

My dad had a six place snowmobile trailer that he pulled with a two wheel drive Ford custom van. He always carried cable chains. They work great and they are much easier to put on when you need them.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For when necessary I had a set of mounted studs and spare chains for my Saab when I lived in Maine. The studded tires worked very well in New England iced road conditions. Well enough that I never had to put the chains on.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote