Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2009 22' Interstate
Roaming , USA
Throwing code P0544 on quick startup

Does anyone have experience with a check engine light/throwing code P0544 (exhaust gas temperature sensor)?

I've read about this code on other forums, and various people say the sensor just needs to be replaced etc. However my particular issue seems to have something to do with the startup sequence (glow plugs probably). If I don't wait, say, 10 seconds after the glow plug light goes out to start (and I just start the engine the moment the light goes out), it throws this code. I clear it and it doesn't come back again, until I make this mistake again.

It appears to just be a nuisance (and I can easily clear it with my code reader) but I just wonder if it's indicative of something else going on.

ChromeNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Never had that problem. I did have a sensor problem, an "anti-knock" sensor that went bad, but it was a no-cost warranty repair that took all of 15 minutes when I took it to the Sprinter dealer with an appointment.

Unless you have a Mercedes Benz OBDII code decoder, that P0544 might not actually be an exhaust gas temperature sensor. Remember that your Sprinter was built in Dusseldorf, and the codes may mean something different than if it was built in Detroit. I don't know for sure; the point is, don't assume.

Any recurring "nuisance" warning light is indicative of something wrong. The code itself is not a problem; whatever caused the code is the problem. The more often you reset the code instead of fixing the problem, the more likely it is that you'll have a bigger and more expensive problem to fix later after you've made it worse by not fixing it when it was still a small problem.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote