Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our TP holder is within the small medicine cabinet above the toilet.

Handy when one is on the potty, and stays dry during showers.

Maggie

Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Medicine cabinet? What medicine cabinet? The newer ones don't have such luxuries. Instead they put the toilet paper holds in a "sealed" roll-type unit and since it is so small we have to look for smaller sized rolls of toilet paper. And they locate it so when you are sitting its right up against your left knee impinging on what little space we have in the wet bath. And while speaking of little space and impinging, they also install a plastic-chrome 3-liquid dispenser on the outside wall just about arms height when standing in the wet bath further impinging on the small space. First thing I did was to remove it and store it for the next owner to reinstall.

Do the people who design these ever really drive them and USE them? Or all they all small "Twiggy" type people. My former motorhome, Country Coach, used to allow workers to take different models for short 2-4 day vacations and then they had to fill out a very comprehensive report on actual use of the motorhome. Many times they learned of issues that they then addressed from use and livability. Its called the "real world experience" not "lets design what looks good on the drawing board!" and build it "our way."

Hopefully someone from Airstream reads this blog.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Instead they put the toilet paper holds in a "sealed" roll-type unit and since it is so small we have to look for smaller sized rolls of toilet paper. And they locate it so when you are sitting its right up against your left knee impinging on what little space we have in the wet bath. And while speaking of little space and impinging, they also install a plastic-chrome 3-liquid dispenser on the outside wall just about arms height when standing in the wet bath further impinging on the small space. First thing I did was to remove it and store it for the next owner to reinstall.
I don't have a problem with the soap dispenser being where it is. Being almost tall enough to bump my head in the bathroom, I tend to take seated showers, using the lowered toilet lid as a seat. The dispenser is then in exactly the right position to use while bathing.

And I've never had a problem with the toilet paper dispenser being where it is. I might prefer it to be a couple of inches higher, but since it's recessed, I'd have to verify that there's nothing structural behind it that would keep it from being moved higher.

I don't consider the locations of these items to be design flaws. But since I already have my Interstate and have no intention of trading it in on a newer one, if you want to get Airstream to change future Interstates to match your idea of the properly-designed wet bath, I don't mind. Go right ahead.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, I call it a medicine cabinet.

It is quite small, but has a mirror on the outside and room inside for extra tubes of toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.

I think the folks at AS do read these, and consider posts here in ther decisions.

We have a medicine cabinet, you folks with newer rigs have small sinks in their bathrooms.....which we do not.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #33

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't consider the locations of these items to be design flaws. But since I already have my Interstate and have no intention of trading it in on a newer one, if you want to get Airstream to change future Interstates to match your idea of the properly-designed wet bath, I don't mind. Go right ahead.
Like Protagonist, I am tall (6'2") and I am also BIG (3XL) and again like Protagonist I have no problem with the location of the soap dispenser or toilet paper roller. Both work reasonably well for me. My wife on the other hand grumbles about both. This discussion makes it clear the absolute best Airstream can do is come up with a "one size fits most (or some)" solution.
At least that is better than choosing a "one solution fits no body" by leaving out the soap dispenser and TP holder altogether.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We don't have a wet bath in the Airstream, but we do have one in the truck camper. We have used it a number of times and find it a little bit of a chore, but not undoable. We wipe down with a chamois type cloth used to dry cars.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Well, I call it a medicine cabinet.

It is quite small, but has a mirror on the outside and room inside for extra tubes of toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.

I think the folks at AS do read these, and consider posts here in ther decisions.

We have a medicine cabinet, you folks with newer rigs have small sinks in their bathrooms.....which we do not.

Maggie
Maggie,
The lack of a sink in our Bambi wet bath is its single biggest failure!
One that I keep thinking I can remedy.....
That subject will be the subject of a future post.
Bruce
Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I echo Bruce's suggestion. I too have a Bambi 16 and I use a sham wow like towel as a bath matt outside the shower and use another to quickly wipe down the shower. As a career Navy guy a small stall and a quick navy shower is a good thing. The more you use the amenities that are built in the more you enjoy your Airstream. All the best - Garry
Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Just back from a 4 day trip to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree, and we finally tried out the shower!!

The verdict is...that you all were right...it is doable! Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement.

My thoughts on the experience... the space is small, but it was ok....the shower curtain has velcro that attaches to the bathroom wall so that I didn't have to experience the "becoming one with the shower curtain" that someone mentioned....when washing my hair, I just had to go with the idea that my hair wasn't totally wet before applying shampoo, and that I doubt I actually rinsed out more than 75% of the shampoo.

Since I'd forgotten to buy shammy towels, I did have to use paper towels to dry down the whole bathroom. But you know what? Even that wasn't too bad. And, as someone suggested, I embraced the idea that my toilet, sink, and whole entire bathroom, were now spotlessly clean!

I no longer fear the wet bath!!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #38
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
For all the world to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Yep! But waiting for warmer weather for that. And then...how do you shower nekkid out there?
Wandering off topic a bit - basically you just do it and take your chances!

My father thought it would be just fine to try it while boondocking in the deserts of Arizona -no one for miles. Then, in the middle of his shower, a car load of Nuns drove by! We laughed for months after that. He claimed God had a sense of humor.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Wandering off topic a bit - basically you just do it and take your chances!

My father thought it would be just fine to try it while boondocking in the deserts of Arizona -no one for miles. Then, in the middle of his shower, a car load of Nuns drove by! We laughed for months after that. He claimed God had a sense of humor.
Using outside shower in less that totally isolated areas.

Got rope and sheets? Improvise a shower curtain. Bungee cords might be helpful to secure to trees, etc. Alternately:

- Gentlemen: loose boxer shorts in a dark color, reach inside and to wash the pink parts.

- Ladies - same, plus a dark colored bra

(white underclothing turns translucent when wet!)

Paula
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Just back from a 4 day trip to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree, and we finally tried out the shower!!

The verdict is...that you all were right...it is doable! Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement.

I no longer fear the wet bath!!
Good for you!

Having that toilet/shower makes you fully functional, and tremendously expands your boondocking possibilities.

Hot running water makes a huge difference in quality of life.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Long Beach , California
I rarely mop / dry the wet bath on my current coach. I just open the vent and door and it's mostly dry in a few hours. I also found that propping the toilet open helps shed water off the seat and it dries faster. As previously mentioned, I also installed extra velcro dots at certain points to help keep the curtain off me during showers. Works great.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Raleigh , North Carolina
We use the wet bath frequently and prefer it to the bath houses. On our trip to Key West our exhaust fan stopped working and we are really missing it. It became very clear how effective it is drying out the curtain and the walls. Has anyone else had the exhaust fan quit? Still have to make the trek home. Not sure if this is a diy?

FunWaggin'