Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #101
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
^ What a great video... so many ideas!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #102
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Still need to do some wiring and stain but the main structure has been redone to accommodate the AI.

The before
Attachment 317472

The after (as is today)
Attachment 317473
Forgot to put up a pic after the stain was completed... Right now I just have a 20amp outlet on the post via the power ran for the light when originally built. The quotes for running new wire/trench to get a 50amp/30amp set up out there were a bit crazy so might part that labor out differently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_162505644_iOS.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	320388  
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #103

Orlando , Florida
Looks great!! ^^ At least 20amps allows you to keep batteries charged and even turning on A/C if you need to.

I keep searching for small house plans that have RV parking in them... just to gather more ideas.

For some of these floor plans I do not get the wall between the cars and the RV... I would have think that having an open space would be more flexible... At least I would not want a wall diving the space between garages.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv-garage-home-plans-lovely-pole-barn-homes-plans-and-prices-elegant-rv-garage-home-floorplan-we.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	320389   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-port-home-plans-house-plans-with-rv-storage-homes-with-attached-rv-garage-garage-plans-with-a.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	320390  

Name:	house-plans-with-rv-garage-attached-new-15-best-floor-plans-for-retirement-home-with-rv-garage-i.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	320391   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-port-homes-pictures-awesome-house-plans-with-rv-garage-rv-pole-barn-garage-plans-with-living-.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	320392  

Name:	rv-garage-plans-inspirational-50-awesome-pics-small-house-plans-with-rv-garage-home-inspiration-.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	320393   Click image for larger version

Name:	small-house-plans-with-rv-garage-lovely-homes-with-rv-garage-floor-plans-home-desain-small-garag.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	320394  

Name:	rv-port-home-plans-unique-surprising-small-house-plans-with-garage-attached-ideas-best-of-rv-por.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	320395   Click image for larger version

Name:	avimorplace-home-plan-with-rv-garage-dashing-house-plans-charvoo.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	320396  

WBCCI #26769
Old 08-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Forgot to put up a pic after the stain was completed... Right now I just have a 20amp outlet on the post via the power ran for the light when originally built. The quotes for running new wire/trench to get a 50amp/30amp set up out there were a bit crazy so might part that labor out differently.
You may check and see if they ran conduit when they ran the line. If so- you could replace the wire (if too small) with a size that will handle 30amp (or 50 if you require) but pulling it through with the old stuff.

It could be the wire is large enough and just needs a larger breaker. BUT I would most certainly verify that before attempting. Overheating cable with too high current is no fun.

I always like to use conduit. Too many years in telecom and then IT where plans change later. Conduit makes it easy (or relatively easy, depending).
A few years ago we pulled 12 miles of fibre through conduit we got them to install when doing power. Yeah- loads of work, but if no conduit it would never have happened.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
I know the existing wire is too small but I think it is all in conduit (should be).

That is a good path to explore... The wire is the most expensive part of this project (parts). But add on to the cost of the wire and the cost to trench about 100' or so... it gets to be money I would rather spend on solar/batteries...
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #106

2015 Interstate Coach
League City , Texas
I just noticed yesterday that the structure in the original post is for sale. Just FYI.
bogeygolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeygolfer View Post
I just noticed yesterday that the structure in the original post is for sale. Just FYI.
Clearly, there's a story there as yet to be revealed. The ask is twice the appraised, and the annual real estate tax on the current appraised value is $10,068 (for those of you who might have doubted the magnitude of the Texas tax burden).

Either it gets bought by someone with more money than God and no valuation loss concerns, or it sells for considerably less, because the same asset could be had for less money in better locations. So there'd have to be a specific reason for someone to choose it over their other options.

But thanks for the heads up. I will be watching it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A Tale of Two Garages:

(1) The top pic shows an oversized detached which comes with a house that also has a 2-car attached garage for the daily drivers. The property is almost one half acre in size, with room to extend this existing over-sized detached garage even further back toward the rear property line. Built out, it would be at least 6 car garage space in total, probably more.

The catch: the property is a mid-century HOT MESS which flooded to a depth of 31 inches during Harvey (as evidenced by visible high water lines inside the garage; the house has undergone a half-assed renovation by a flood-flipper). That in itself is not a deal-breaker, especially if Harvey has been its ONLY flood event in the past 60 years. It would largely depend on the deal that might be obtainable regarding the price. It would be work to bring the property up to snuff, but I like to work. I'm not happy without projects.

The price, the price, the price. Needless to say, the ask on the top photo is a tiny fraction of this one:

(2) Bottom pic is, ta-da, the same property that actually opened this thread, which was NOT for sale at that time (a few months ago), and which I was surprised to find now IS for sale, hat tip to the golfer whose real identity has me curious, not that it's any of my business.

I couldn't drive the Interstate into the second one because it's still staged with all of the playroom toys also shown in the public real estate listing. I don't like to just "visualize" myself in a space. I need our Interstate to be actually physically IN a space for the full impression and developmental ideas to come through to my brain.

Anyway, my realtor has been a good friend for 25 years so it was great to see him again irrespective of any showings. An interesting way to spend a Saturday morning, for sure.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
BTW, in researching and discussing this garage predicament, we learned that the most basic barely-skilled trades labor is $30/hr here in Houston now. It was $15/hr last year prior to Harvey.

That's if you can get it, which many people can't. Yesterday my husband tried to pass $35 cash to someone who was mowing our next door neighbor's lawn. Not to secure them as a regular mower for us, but just to do it one time because we had other obligations yesterday.

The mower politely declined. Our tiny yard would have been about a 15 minute job for that crew, but no dice. We will continue to mow our own grass, as we have for several years now.

Every time I see stories about hard luck and poverty in other parts of the country, my sympathy approaches negative infinity. Anyone with even half a skill, or who even wants to learn one, can come to Houston, where the cost of living is incredibly low, and they can make $60,000 a year - probably in the form of cash - without even working any overtime! Even if they do it only part of the year, they can take their periodic infusions of money back to their home state or whatever and live there. If someone is even partially able-bodied, the excuses for not working are pretty thin.

But yeah, if we buy a new property, whether more expensive or less expensive, we'll be doing almost all work ourselves, out of necessity. But as I said, I like projects.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I was tempted to hatch a new thread titled "Strange things that Interstate owners do" but then I realized that LB_3 and I are likely the strangest of the strange, so I'm not sure how much thread contribution we'd get on that one.

Nobody lives in the suburbs forever, and we are ready to move to the RIGHT property WITH an Interstate garage, if and when we either find it or develop it.

That being the case, with downsizing being the goal, I don't want to buy anything new. We upgraded to a king sized mattress and for the better part of two years, our queen-sized headboard lay in six pieces on the bedroom floor. Master bedroom furniture is expensive - no way was I going to spend a thousand or more on a new king frame that might not fit into the next house. A good quality set of solid wood master bedroom furniture is, like, five thousand bucks -- when the hell did THAT happen?!?!?!

So I didn't want to spend money now, but I got really sick of all these components strewn around the bedroom floor, so yesterday, LB_3 welded up a frame to put those queen-sized pieces back together in king-sized form. This pic represents an interim stage of development - if we keep this unit going forward, we'll build in little vertical shelf modules in the expansion void spaces on each side. Bonus is that we can modernize the 25-year-old, out-of-style appearance by making it industrial chic with welded steel, hoorah. LOL.

Welding machines: many, many useful applications beyond the Interstate for which we originally bought it (to make our custom hitch carrier).

Old 10-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That's very neat. Seems like you guys can't go a week without thinking of the next diy project. Us too, but on a lesser scale.

Love where you are going with that and it looks similar to our old bedroom furniture. We actually really like the storage our bed side towers have. Bed side dressers would leave a lot of things/objects needing a new home.

Will be interested to see how this turns out as our bedroom furniture and living room entertainment center could use upgrades. As you said replacement is quite expensive.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
...We actually really like the storage our bed side towers have. Bed side dressers would leave a lot of things/objects needing a new home. ...
Our unit is uglier than sin -- early 1990's mass-produced suburban generic -- but we find it difficult to give up the functionality of those side towers. Ours have 2 drawers in the bottom part in each side. Socks and underwear, right there segregated next to the bed on each side. In our neck of the woods, it's not uncommon for people to shower the night before and then spring out of bed and hit the road early to beat traffic, rather than showering in the morning. Socks and underwear right there - it doesn't get any more efficient than that.

The only thing I'd consider in lieu of the towers is an under-bed storage unit to replace the box spring and stand, neither of which perform a useful function (by under-bed storage unit, I mean sort of like a captain's bed). But they start at about $1,000 and they are uglier than sin -- early 2010's mass-produced suburban generic.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #113

Orlando , Florida
We are looking at some property closer to the gulf here in Florida... I do not want to continue wasting money on paying for a parking spot at the local storage place... I rather put that money towards some land with a small house...

Might be a financial stretch now... but looking to do it anyway...and looking for things to improve as we payoff a few things.

I found a place that just came on the market... will see if it works out. Will share photos in a few days if I can get it. 2-1/2 acres with a recently (2016) built small (1,200 sqft) house and a 6 car garage. House is done, but missing driveway to garage.... No deed restrictions, not HOA.... I hope I can get it... I will be perfect to park the AI there since it is only 2 hours away from our house.

And when the time comes and the kids are out of the house, we can sell our current house and move permanently to the new place... until then, the plan is just to keep it as our storage for the AI.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #114

Orlando , Florida
Darn it... there was a 1.56 acre lot an hour from me (Mount Dora area)... small 400sqft structure, a well, electricity, fenced in three sides... after 900 days listed, it goes on pending sale when I was about to see it tomorrow! 49K... this one would had been a no brainer and not a huge impact financially like the one near the gulf (200K)... @#$%#$!%

Sorry... the other one near the gulf is great... but the financial stretch might not be worth it (doing the numbers and do not see how I can make that work right now...)
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
We are looking at some property closer to the gulf here in Florida.......
Before you pull the trigger on anything like that, you may want to contemplate this post on the insurance thread.

Seriously, I don't know where the ceiling is going to be located on insuring assets near the Gulf Coast. On a per-dollar-of-liability-coverage calculation, it's now costing me ***4.5 TIMES AS MUCH*** for Interstate insurance as it is for both windstorm and flood combined on our stick and brick house in a coastal county!!

Wrap your head around that. And one could argue, "Well, of course your per-dollar Interstate insurance is higher - you can't drive your stick-and-brick house down the road and smash into someone else and cause a claim!"

But if there's a flood or a hurricane which is ostensibly what's now driving these insurance rates, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm getting into the rig and driving it the hell away from the coast. That should be working in my loss potential favor.

Or as LB_3 noted, we AREN'T EVEN HERE for the most intense part of hurricane season! We're in Canada every year!

But that doesn't matter. The premiums are pinned directly to your address.

Anyway, this is something to think about. What happens to the rate table NEXT year if the rates increased 30% this year?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #116

Orlando , Florida
Well ^^ that sucks.... thank you as I had not thought about that!
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Well ^^ that sucks.... thank you as I had not thought about that!
Well, I didn't think about it either, until the issue showed up rudely in my face.

AND, the insurance companies are NOT going to consider Harvey a one-off. A less severe but similar stall just happened with Hurricane Florence, whose 30 inches of rain broke North Carolina's statewide record a year after Harvey.

Wrap your head around this, too: If I extrapolate based on published reports for vehicle claims generally, last year in the greater Houston area, **50 TO 100 TIMES** as many RVs flooded as were smashed in accidents.

We are now at the point where the underwriters are far more concerned with my potential to write our Interstate off in a flood, than they are about me writing it off in a crash.

It's important because (gulp) what would I be facing now if my zip code were 77539 instead of the more benign 77573 where we currently are?

Here I've been considering buying a flood house (with large garage) for cheap because it would lower the property taxes I obsess over, and because I'd simply drive away from any high-water event, so my concern is limited. But I never stopped to consider what my comprehensive insurance line item might look like simply because of that kind of address.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Rising insurance cost sucks. Have argued with my State Farm agents over the years "how come even as all my vehicles age, the insurance keeps increasing?" And then when they are so old to be in the "Classic" category and I have done a mint job of maintaining, now they hit me with mint condition classic car status rates. Nowadays, I just don't want to stress over it. I just look at it as part of cost of ownership & "doing business", otherwise I may end up with a yearly heart attack. I live at 4,000 ft. asl on solid rock in the high desert - but I still carry flood insurance & earthquake insurance (grandfathered in from 40 yr. policy). State Farm has been trying to convince me I do not need it. But the catch is once I pass on it, I will never be able to get it back (regardless of how much I want to pay for it). Of course, that will be the year a big earthquake hits CA and it becomes a separate island and LV ends up in a ocean flood zone with new fault line.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My bad if this particular garage was discussed previously and maybe I missed it; I can't recall if this owner is on Air Forums. I certainly missed it on Instagram - it was in my feed and I didn't spot it and follow back the owner until last night (IG overload syndrome).

This is the garage of the owner of a black Interstate in the Dallas area. If it is not my favorite that I've seen thus far, it's darned close. Wow.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow that's really nice and I saved the photo to my one day Airstream storage file. I think we would want the doors where the covered on portion is but that's really nice. when and if we ever get ours it will be a matter of what the city allows, what the setback is and what the pocketbook allows.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote