Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I'm now getting settled at a new place in the fl panhandle, near Panama City beach. And getting the existing 43'x30' shed set up as a garage/ man cave.
I'm gathering materials to build a wide carport on two sides of the shed to park my 345 classic motorhome under, and for indoor/ outdoor living area.

But still have room for some of your junk. ��
Always glad to help a brother out.

Cheers Richard

Oh could park an AI in the other end of the shed, excepting I don't have one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	315144  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
This was my nomad garage when based in AZ exploring the west.
TEVAKE - Holy cow! You dropped the entire 911 engine in the middle of the AZ desert inside a nomad shelter (I wouldn't even call it a garage)? Can't even start to imagine how hard that would be! I couldn't even take my road bike (that's bicycle) apart in such extreme conditions. I'd be too scared I would lose something. Either you have done this many times before or you taught McGyver all the tricks in the book
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ultimate Interstate garage

McGyver is a wannabe. I’ve been fixing stuff with my Swiss Army Knife before he was born. And, by the way Wenger makes the best Swiss Army Knives. Victornoix is an upstart building cheap ones. Had my first Wenger at age 12, as a gift from grandparents, who picked it up in Switzerland in person.
Have even fixed a ‘77 Volvo alternator with just the knife..,well enough that it was still working a month later when I got my mechanic to actually rebuild it, finally.
Still carry one every day...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks Alex, actually my nomad garage was not nearly as rustic as you imagine. After setting it up I layed down a full sized sheet of plastic, wrapping up inside the walls on both sides then a couple carpet rements made it wall to wall carpeted.
It was really quite cushy in there.

I was starting to feel all puffed up with your comparison to Mcgiver, then Mr Rmkrum came along and poped the bubble. Dang that moment if glory was brief.

Any of us long time air cooled Porsche caretakers have had the opportunity to learn to do engine drops, maybe more often than we might like.

Cheers Richard
Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That can be overcome by installing a simple vestibule between the living space and garage space, with doors on both ends— like an airlock, but not necessarily airtight. ....
Spoken like a true Gulf Coaster. Without such improvements, life would be All Mosquito Bites, All The Time.

Here's an example of something that could be improved upon, and it would be financially do-able because the property would be so modestly priced (if it were for sale). He's got a compact house, a conventional garage for his daily drivers, and his rig barn behind it. The rig barn footprint is too small, but that much could be changed. But none of them are attached. A cloud of mosquitoes follows him everywhere.

At first glance this appears an odd layout because he has to drive his rig across the neighboring property to access his rig barn. But I infer from the public records that he owns the LLC that owns that abutting property.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Loving all these ideas, plans and images. I'm thinking we should put our small plot on here and let you guys design the "big" garage then I can just figure out how to pay for it. Been here 3 years and haven't planted one tree yet because we haven't come up with a master plan for the backyard yet. Why do logical things like roofs and windows have to take priority.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Alex, actually my nomad garage was not nearly as rustic as you imagine. After setting it up I layed down a full sized sheet of plastic, wrapping up inside the walls on both sides then a couple carpet rements made it wall to wall carpeted.

I was starting to feel all puffed up with your comparison to Mcgiver, then Mr Rmkrum came along and poped the bubble. Dang that moment if glory was brief.

Any of us long time air cooled Porsche caretakers have had the opportunity to learn to do engine drops, maybe more often than we might like.

Cheers Richard

I hardly think fixing a Volvo alternator even compares in scale to dropping the whole engine in a tent.
Don’t worry, you are still quite clever and resourceful in my book...it probably has something to do with being successful DIY Airstream owners
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Loving all these ideas, plans and images. I'm thinking we should put our small plot on here and let you guys design the "big" garage then I can just figure out how to pay for it. Been here 3 years and haven't planted one tree yet because we haven't come up with a master plan for the backyard yet. Why do logical things like roofs and windows have to take priority.

Plant those trees... we have been in our house 16 years. Those trees in the back by the Gazebo were $10 trees at Home Depot. Things added later (including Gazebo/Pool) were just planned around them. Trees need time.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:

Cheers Richard
RICHARD - be that as it may, seriously, that is just impressive. Most of us here would not even contemplate dropping an engine unless in an ideal garage enclousre. I am sure you are much more comfy with your new setup and addition to your FL setup. Hope to see the new additions too

BTW - regarding air-cooled engines - never owned a Porsche and too late now, already spent my money on AI. But I did get good at dropping my air-cooled VW Beetle 1200 engine in my late teens. Then I upgraded to a 1500. And last, a Karman Ghia. I now regret selling them. That's the closest I got to a "Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche GmbH" product
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The guy who owns this spread about 1.5 miles from us is running a paying business out of it (automobile restoration). He either (a) is not aware of Texas property law or (b) has more money than the Almighty, such that he just doesn't care about his tax bill. With a property that size, he could easily subdivide and put some goats out there to lower his cumulative rate. Plus, goats are really fun, and they don't demand nearly as much time and attention as high-end automobiles do.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This one has "spousal negotiation" written all over it - "You can have your garage if I get my house." McMansion coupled with a garage that is so low-end that the appraisal district didn't bother to assess a value for it. Real estate taxes approx. $14,500 per year on this. IMO, it's a hot mess of inverted priorities. But it's a free country, eh? People can spend their $ any way they please.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #52
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
...Any of us long time air cooled Porsche caretakers have had the opportunity to learn to do engine drops, maybe more often than we might like.

Cheers Richard
Ain't that the truth... 911 and 944Turbo owner here... and have the scars to prove it... I was so happy when I went to the double post lift...before that it was a scissor lift, and before that it was on the floor with a similar setup as you show in your photo... my knees would not let me go back to that again...

Double post lift (I could not go with a normal height due to the low ceiling in my garage) and a lift table made everything so much easier...

Thank you for the offer on storing some of my junk ... I will try to have space for those parts to keep around close, lol. I am getting rid of all the FIAT Spider parts first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
RICHARD - be that as it may, seriously, that is just impressive. Most of us here would not even contemplate dropping an engine unless in an ideal garage enclousre. I am sure you are much more comfy with your new setup and addition to your FL setup. Hope to see the new additions too

BTW - regarding air-cooled engines - never owned a Porsche and too late now, already spent my money on AI. But I did get good at dropping my air-cooled VW Beetle 1200 engine in my late teens. Then I upgraded to a 1500. And last, a Karman Ghia. I now regret selling them. That's the closest I got to a "Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche GmbH" product
Always loved the Karman Ghia... still look at the classifieds section in The Samba forum...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Might be time to move to Texas, it's hot there also. Seems everything really is bigger to include the bang for your buck, those are some nice looking properties and good size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Thus far in our lives, LB_3 and I have made a very conscious decision not to invest in any high-risk properties. In Houston, "high risk" means "it absolutely will flood" (Houston holds the record for number of successive FEMA flood pay-outs - twenty-two flood claims paid since 1979 on a house in Kingwood (link here but paywalled). There are deals to be had for the intrepid souls who want to take on a massive project in questionable areas. I've never considered myself to be that intrepid. Not yet anyway.

This owner built a big cinder block garage with what appears to be a metal-trussed roof, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he filled his cinder blocks with rebar and concrete like they do in Florida (the door could be raised to accommodate a high-roofed vehicle such as an Interstate). Not a stick of wood in the entire place (except for his decor). It appears to have been a conscious decision on his part to make it flood-worthy. Harvey wiped his adjacent tract house off the foundation, but his garage probably only needed a thorough cleaning and maybe a new a/c condenser. Plus newly-worked trim and nice wood doors to his garage bedroom (which probably isn't legal).

It all comes down to the numbers and the permits. He's not going to get his $200,000 ask on this one and he might not get anywhere close to it - it's been on the market more than 3 months. But if the land and garage could be gotten for cheap and a raised, permittable house built, the property might work out very well for someone. There certainly would be a fantastic view from the resulting house deck, as high up as it would be.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Ive clearly got some inner McGyver Spirit to be driving all over the country in this rig.

Wachuko, that's some fine looking machinery in your pics. I recognize the 964 cab. The one on the rack getting the face lift, is it an SC or Carrera 3.2?
You do seem to be deep into the hobby. Wish I was closer, would enjoy helping and learning. Nice hoist and engine Jack you have there.

Getting rid of your Fiat Spyder parts, be still my beating heart. Haha.

That's a nicely detailed shop plan you outlined earlier, you should "make it so"

Interblog, that's a nice garage, but a sad tale.
Waterfront has taken on new meaning for me in resent years.
Not that I can afford the cost, or the risk.

I will share more of my shop and motor home carport as it progresses.

Cool thread, fun seeing others garages and what folks are planning and building.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	315425  
Old 07-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Pic of my shop on May 1st 2010
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020345.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	315638  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Take Advantage of Lot Slope, Make Extra Garage Look Like Guest House

Take Advantage of Lot Slope, Make Extra Garage Look Like Guest House. Currently one double garage on top level for antique boat and motorcycles with five steps down to two 14’ pull through doors 55’ apart plus ideal for easy Airstream pull through parking & Storage. Extra 14’ door is perfect for 25’ bay with stackable four post car lift. When you go to sell someday this extra garage could be a bus barn with extra bay for highboy trailer or converted to horse stalls or even converted into split level living quarters with a private 2 car garage. It already has bathroom and stairs to attic for current storage and future upstairs bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	717E3BA2-F5CB-47D5-9EC8-C59A7DD1FD03.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	315643   Click image for larger version

Name:	8935608F-95A0-421E-97A9-88A13ABA09BD.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	534.3 KB
ID:	315644  

Name:	A4BB5869-A8C0-43AF-821E-B5166A801A2F.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	315645   Click image for larger version

Name:	E65EB7F9-4090-474B-8583-B3825CEA1EC8.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	575.4 KB
ID:	315646  

RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Take Advantage of Lot Slope, Make Extra Garage Look Like Guest House

Take Advantage of Lot Slope, Make Extra Garage Look Like Guest House. Currently one double garage on top level for antique boat and motorcycles with five steps down to two 14’ pull through doors 55’ apart plus ideal for easy Airstream pull through parking & Storage. Extra 14’ door is perfect for 25’ bay with stackable four post car lift. When you go to sell someday this extra garage could be a bus barn with extra bay for highboy trailer or converted to horse stalls or even converted into split level living quarters with a private 2 car garage. It already has bathroom and stairs to attic for current storage and future upstairs bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B7AD99B8-77CB-42EE-A26E-FF67928462DF.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	315650   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AB6BFD5-FC0A-44C6-83A3-054AB83E2E16.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	315651  

Name:	F3DF3E18-8DC1-421E-A835-348FD7576C65.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	534.3 KB
ID:	315652   Click image for larger version

Name:	F87D89B9-DBF9-4643-AB81-A06942CC22CC.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	575.4 KB
ID:	315653  

RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #59

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Ellenton , Florida
Home & RV Garage

This French architecturally designed home has an integrated RV garage which is 14' wide by 45 feet long. Can easily accommodate most RV's and all Airstream products. Sorry...we are not ready to give up ownership yet. Still have many wonderful miles to travel with WBCCI's great caravans. Thank you WBCCI and Airstream friends for 33 years of wonderful travels and fellowship.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6873.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	315662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oak Creek Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	315663  

Name:	DSCN6875.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	315664  
CGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
OH my Vintageracer, truly heartbreaking to see your garage awash like that. And with your name, I shudder to think of the rare treasures bobbing around in there. Hopefully by now you are all back together and back at the races.

Ding ding ding! We now have a strong contender for all time ultimate dream garage. Mr RLWardd, that is really a beautiful design! Plenty of room for Rv, large boat, sport car, plus the offhand mentioned antique boat and motorcycles.

And it does look like a guest house, sweet!

Any chance that we could get a glimpse of the antique boat and motorcycles, sounds intriguing.

Definitely worth the double post, Sir.

Cheers Richard