Old 06-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #15
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
EDIT: Kevin, that is a very nice setup you have there ^^^ Thank you for sharing!

With the AI in mind I would add one of those ladders that have a platform and wheels... so easy to roll into position next to the AI and it comes down under weight... that would be so much better and more stable. And with the pulley system I could work on anything up there...

I would have to think on changes to the lift... something that can lift 5 tons...

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
EDIT:
With the AI in mind I would add one of those ladders that have a platform and wheels... so easy to roll into position next to the AI and it comes down under weight... that would be so much better and more stable.
That is a great idea. I am up there quite a bit and a step ladder is not ideal.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
The building is 40'X40'. It is fully insulated and with a small propane heater in the basement it keeps the entire building above freezing here in Wisconsin.

and yes the garage (technically an Ag Accessory Building) is larger than the house.
KEVIN - Very nice! I grew up in Chicago up until I graduated from UIC. Spent many summers in Madison with friends who live up there & Appleton. If I still lived in the midwest, I absolutely would build a separate Ag Accessory Building for the cars and AI. It's the way to go. 40'x40' (1,200-1,600 sq. ft.) is also the ideal size for me, not too small & not too large. Reason I say not too large is we all know most of us can fill up any size space if we had it, so the 40'x40' size is a good way to 'limit' the 'stuff' to manageable size. Otherwise, it just becomes a warehouse.
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I want to be adopted by Wachuko. Only real change to your list would be to add an extra 100A of 220v for charging an electric car or two.

I dream of converting an 8-10 stall horse barn into a work garage. Lifts and hoists in the aisle and dedicated workstations in each stall.

1) Lawn care storage with an exterior door
2) Woodworking
3) General storage that doesn’t belong in the loft.
4) Metalwork (welding/grinding)
5) Painting and finish
6) Electrical (soldering station, scopes, meters, power supplies)
7) Parts prep (blasting and parts washing)
8) Clean-ish room for engine assembly and automotive tool storage
9) Restroom/shower
10) And a space for IB’s sewing and other misc projects.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #19

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
...10) And a space for IB’s sewing and other misc projects.
Oh shuts!... I forgot!!! Yes! Same here! Mara's area for her sewing and embroidery machines... but she wants a room in the house for that, not in the garage... hey baby !
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #20

Quote:
4. EVERY garage MUST contain at least ONE "pinup" calendar that the wife/girlfriend/significant other does not approve of! This is a MUST! No respectable garage is without one! These are the rules and we as car enthusiasts must adhere to them!
WACHUKO - I almost thought you missed insulated garage doors , what was I thinking? See pic below.

Ummm, my wife approved all of my pinup calendars. The only rule was they can't be of former girlfriends. And my 2 daughters are over 30 & both married, so calendars no longer hidden (until grand kiddos get older) Sigh!

You did forget 2 things:
1. Man couch with Ultra Leather so it's easy to clean
2. Foosball table (World Cup), no pool table, that belongs inside the house
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_094416 (559x640).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	315096
3. Slot machines (yes, I said 2 things because in Vegas you can't own slot machines without gaming license unless you jumped through major hoops & used up many silver bullets to get them). Had to remove them from their proper cabinets to make more room for . . . (see below)

Name:	20180625_104314 (480x640).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	315097

OK, you did forget 1 more thing. In a shameless plug to gain more points from wifey so she allows me more allowance to buy more AI 'stuff' I have to plug her stake in the man-cave:
1. Beauty parlor chairs - what? Yes, that is her observation deck to tell me what she wants done to her minivan. It's a minivan, for crying out loud. It ain't an AI

Name:	20180625_094852 (640x624).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	315098

Detailing her minivan today, getting ready for inspection when she flies in from Chicago. Had to wake up at 5am to wash it before it got too hot.

Name:	20180625_095349 (494x640).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	315099
2. Additional space for more shoes - what? coz she ran out of room in the original bank of closets. I told her, no more, last cabinet I am not giving up any more garage space for her shoes Yeah, right!

Name:	20180625_095701 (385x640).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	315100

Name:	20180625_100408 (394x640).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	315101
Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Oh shuts!... I forgot!!! Yes! Same here! ... hey baby !
WACHUKO - you need to be married longer, then you learn not to forget the important spaces in garage. See above sign I put on wifey shoe closet handle. More points for me!
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #22

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Alex, I saw the photos you shared on the other thread, but I will say it again... the level of organization you have in your garage puts everything else I have seen to shame... wow!

I did forget the Foosball table... always wanted one but never had the space to put it... added to the list

Happy wife, happy life... not judging you there, there is no shame in pleasing the queen, it allow us to live longer... even if we always go first
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #23

Orlando , Florida
What is not showing in my drawings is that I wanted to be able to see one car from the living area... I wanted a framed glass so that the car looked like a framed photo if you were inside the house... to which my wife quickly commented..." It would look great for a few weeks and then the mess you always make will ruin it all"... so that idea got ditched... lol...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Alex, I saw the photos you shared on the other thread, but I will say it again... the level of organization you have in your garage puts everything else I have seen to shame... wow!

I did forget the Foosball table... always wanted one but never had the space to put it... added to the list

Happy wife, happy life... not judging you there, there is no shame in pleasing the queen, it allow us to live longer... even if we always go first
Thank you, it is a passion from years of learned attention to detail (well that's how I define OCD coz it sounds nicer)

It's just a matter of economics for me, the nice "Built for Women" tag is $1.50, way cheaper than a dozen roses. The queen really rules, she just makes us think we do, so easy to stroke the male ego.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #25

Quote:
What is not showing in my drawings is that I wanted to be able to see one car from the living area... I wanted a framed glass so that the car looked like a framed photo if you were inside the house... to which my wife quickly commented..." It would look great for a few weeks and then the mess you always make will ruin it all"... so that idea got ditched... lol...
PDLC Smart Film switchable glass, perfect for Ultimate Interstate Garage
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	230a38bccf219d3c423db28f16fa8d9c.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	315102  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #26

Orlando , Florida
Something specific for the AI... and maybe to be incorporated at the time of building (but it could be added later)... I mentioned the platform step... but maybe also the ability to have a platform across the top... you install a rail on the wall... and then you have a platform that slides on that... on the other side it is attached to a platform ladder (again, also on wheels) so you can basically move the ladder and platform to any point over the AI. Easy to climb and easy to walk over the AI for fixing, cleaning, installing/replacing anything...

When not in use, the platform folds flat against the wall... or I guess you can leave it setup all the time and just roll it out of the way to the front or back. Oh wait! Your roll it all the way back into a cabinet. Brilliant!

Because this would be a bit of an overkill...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder for AI.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	315104  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Not really a garage... but current parking spot. We built the Gazebo (not a carport as far as HoA is concerned) prior to the AI purchase (about two years ago). Goal was just to protect truck (wouldn’t fit in garage) and sons car with extra space for company.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	315103

We have a three car garage across the concrete but the double stall goes just to wife and 3rd stall has old Jeep.

Our Gazebo is only 20x20 with about a 24x24 roof. It is about 1’ too short to get the AI under it.

It is about $5k to change out the beams (at the side next to AI) to be able to get the AI underneath. Would prob need some additional concrete to make the turn, etc.

About $2500 to extend the roof line another 4’ (2’ each side).

About $3k for another option is a concrete pad on other side of Gazebo. Tree would provide shade and some protection. AI in current spot can be seen from front of house although we live on culdasac. This option just provides shade and hides it from front of house.

Not sure price but could also just have another structure built over the AI where it currently sits.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
What I'm posting is all public information but I'm redacting identifying stuff just for the privacy of these people who'll never have any idea that they're being talked about in detail by strangers on the internet.

Here's an example of what I meant by schizoid. LB_3 will recognize this as a house I've been jonesing for - it's located about 2 miles from our current home. Notice how its north side was infilled with tract houses. This property dates back to 1961 when land was dirt cheap around here, hence its unusual size.

Here's its attention-grabber: it is currently on the appraisal roll for $235,000. Almost an acre in an urban area 3 miles from Johnson Space Center.

Its market value is higher than that, but not obscenely higher. As I mentioned on the Mods thread, I do not care to get my aging butt in a financial crack over our legendary 3% annual real estate tax (actually in this location it would be closer to 2.5%). I want something relatively modest but functional in terms of a property. Maybe something along the lines of this. I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself leaving a business card in this guy's mailbox with a note that says, "If it comes time for you to sell your house, please let us make you an offer."

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote