Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
The TVs and Winter....

Hi All - I'm in New England, the temperature is dropping and my Interstate is ready for winter. Except for some weekend road trips, she will mostly be sitting until Spring.

Do I really need to remove the TVs and bring them inside while she sits?

Thanks in advance for the input.
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by X New Yorker View Post
Hi All - I'm in New England, the temperature is dropping and my Interstate is ready for winter. Except for some weekend road trips, she will mostly be sitting until Spring.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hmmn are you in a bad neighborhood or don’t have any TV in the house [emoji848]?
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by X New Yorker View Post

Yes. The "L" in LCD stands for Liquid, and when liquid freezes, it expands and that can have bad results in a TV. Be safe and take them inside (and NOT just into your garage unless it's heated!).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Yes. The "L" in LCD stands for Liquid, and when liquid freezes, it expands and that can have bad results in a TV. Be safe and take them inside (and NOT just into your garage unless it's heated!).
On the other hand, n0. The liquid in an LCD is not water. LCDs don't all freeze at the same temperature, but even the least temperature-resistant brand freezes at a temperature of -20°F. Yes, that's minus twenty degrees, or fifty-two degrees below the freezing point of pure water. If you're expecting temperatures that cold, you should remove the televisions and take them inside. Otherwise don't worry about it.

As long as the temperature drops gradually (in the span of 24 hours or more) from about 40°F to whatever low temperature you're expecting, the televisions will be fine. Hiwever, even if the liquid crystals won't freeze, they can be damaged by rapid temperature fluctuations, up or down. So you could actually do more damage to the televisions by taking them out of a cold (below freezing) RV directly into a warm home than you could by leaving them in the van where it's cold.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I'm in central NH and have not had an issue with the LCD yet, after multiple years. I don't see all the dealers going out and pulling them all every winter, think 5th wheel 60" TV's. Just know if you go to use it, it might be pretty sure to respond until it's adequately warmed up.

And if you have a newer tow vehicle, the dash display is probably LCD
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I was always tokd that heat was a bigger problem than cold. Trailers here in fl can get really hot if closed up during tbe sjmmer.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This freezing business is news to me. If this is (really) the case, how does the RV dealer in Edmonton Alberta where its can get to -30 for months deal with the 500 TV's he has on his lot? How does the remote weather stations that have LCD screens on them continue to work in the high Arctic? How does your car or truck that has LCD screens continue to operate in cold climates? I don't think you need to worry about your LCD screen in your airstream.....
Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We leave the computers and monitors in place in Yellowstone over the winter. Never a problem.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Neither! Might have gotten some bad advice in the past!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I panicked and brought them in last night as that is what I have been doing since I have owned her.

Next year the TVs will stay put, as what some of you said makes sense and is along the lines of what I too was thinking.

Thanks again for the assist!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
On the other hand, n0. The liquid in an LCD is not water. LCDs don't all freeze at the same temperature, but even the least temperature-resistant brand freezes at a temperature of -20°F. Yes, that's minus twenty degrees, or fifty-two degrees below the freezing point of pure water. If you're expecting temperatures that cold, you should remove the televisions and take them inside. Otherwise don't worry about it.

As long as the temperature drops gradually (in the span of 24 hours or more) from about 40°F to whatever low temperature you're expecting, the televisions will be fine. Hiwever, even if the liquid crystals won't freeze, they can be damaged by rapid temperature fluctuations, up or down. So you could actually do more damage to the televisions by taking them out of a cold (below freezing) RV directly into a warm home than you could by leaving them in the van where it's cold.
There are a lot of articles out there about how difficult it is to get straight answers from the manufacturers of these LCD TV's, but the common themes are 1) at some point, cold can harm them (actual numbers are all over the place), and 2) if they have been subjected to freezing temps, you need to warm them up gradually before using them.

The OP can do as he wishes with his TV's, but I highly recommend he read the numerous articles on the web about storing and using LCD TV's in freezing temps.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Has anyone reading this thread ever had an LCD TV damaged by freezing temps? My Interstate, with two LCD TVs is parked in my driveway all year long. In the winter it regularly get below freezing inside the van and has been cold soaked to -17degF on trips to Minnesota. After nearly five years of such use my TVs continue to work just fine.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Has anyone reading this thread ever had an LCD TV damaged by freezing temps? My Interstate, with two LCD TVs is parked in my driveway all year long. In the winter it regularly get below freezing inside the van and has been cold soaked to -17degF on trips to Minnesota. After nearly five years of such use my TVs continue to work just fine.
You've actually measured -17*F inside your coach?!?!

Anyway, anyone can do whatever they want with their TV's. I never plan to have my rig in temps anywhere near zero, let along below zero. But since the OP asked for opinions, and since manufacturers post stuff like this:

The safe storage temperature range for Samsung LCD monitors is -4° F to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C). Temperatures outside these ranges can cause LCD monitors to malfunction.

my personal opinion is it would be prudent to follow their guidance. I certainly would, but you all do as you wish.....
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
The safe storage temperature range for Samsung LCD monitors is -4° F to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C). Temperatures outside these ranges can cause LCD monitors to malfunction.

my personal opinion is it would be prudent to follow their guidance. I certainly would, but you all do as you wish.....
But does that apply to using the television monitor, or storing it? The guidance is unclear on that very pertinent point.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
But does that apply to using the television monitor, or storing it? The guidance is unclear on that very pertinent point.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:

Thank you. My eyes just skimmed right over that word somehow. Senior moments affect they eyes as well as the brain, I guess.

Or I would guess, if my brain wasn't having a senior moment, too!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Thank you. My eyes just skimmed right over that word somehow. Senior moments affect they eyes as well as the brain, I guess.

Or I would guess, if my brain wasn't having a senior moment, too!
The number that surprised me the most was their listed safe min. OPERATING temp. It's 41*F for the Sony and 50*F for the Samsung!!! I'm sure we've all operated our LCD's at temps below 50*F with no adverse results, and I admit that I'll be violating that one....
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #18

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Oh boy, looks like I might have to start worrying about the other extreme. Here it got close to the 113F this summer and I know the interior was warmer. I ran the fans to help keep the interior cooler.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The TVs and Winter....

Quote:
You've actually measured -17*F inside your coach?!?!

Anyway, anyone can do whatever they want with their TV's. I never plan to have my rig in temps anywhere near zero, let along below zero. But since the OP asked for opinions, and since manufacturers post stuff like this:

Good information. I was in Minnesota for a week in February a few years ago. It never got above zero all week and the overnight temps were -15 to -17 every night. Never measured temp inside van in the mornings, but I'm sure it was below or near zero. Perhaps it never got below -4 for very long.

We did NOT sleep in the van - way too cold.

Bottom line for OP - minor freezing temps are likely not a problem for the installed LCD TVs.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote