Old 06-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Actually, I stand corrected. I have a Kenwood DNX7190HD, and it's the model that has malfunctioned.

With such poor quality, I am hesitant to buy another Kenwood product. In looking at my options, I'm pretty stuck on Garmin, and Kenwood is the only head unit that has it. I figure that to fix the Kenwood I'll be out a minimum of a couple of hundred bucks, if not more, to fix a 5 year old unit.

So, I've decided to buy a Pioneer receiver AVH-4200NEX with Apple Carplay features, and use a separate Garmin GPS. The problem with that is that the 2011 Sprinter has a cover over the center dash and no where handy to put the GPS. I saw a 2015 Sprinter model, and noticed Mercedes figured out that the cover was not a good idea and changed it to a half open type tray. I checked with a Sprinter parts guy, you can replace the tray with the cover for the new open tray. So I ordered it and will replace the stock tray. That way, I can use a stand-alone GPS sitting in the front of the tray in sight but out of the way, and have the receiver dedicated to Bluetooth phone and Apple Carplay as well as other features.

It seems to me that the head units with Nav do everything adequately, but nothing well. The reviews are not particularly encouraging on any of them. By separating them, I should have the best of both. Plus, if one fails, it's not as much of an investment as a head unit that has both built in. Anyone have an opinion about this before I order the goods?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
You must have read my mind. The Pioneer GPS and Carplay's maps both are fairly full featured. My Pioneer always works and I love Carplay's Siri. Still, there are some features that I miss about the Garmin GPS that was in my godawful Kenwood. The Garmin allowed you to add custom waypoints like the branches of my particular bank, or all of the Camping World stores, for example. Once they were loaded onto the unit, it would alert me when I got close by, if I wanted. Additionally, I could use the Garmin desktop computer app to plan trips and then I could load them onto the unit. It also had a Detour function that would route you around traffic jams.

Since I'm still on Garmin's mailing list, I recently got an email describing their GPS that was made specifically for RV folks. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds interesting. I have no idea if it inlcudes the above features. It's the model# RV 760LMT and here's the link to it on the Garmin site:
http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/rv/

Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Garmin owns Fusion Electronics which manufacturers the new unit going in the '17 AI.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
It's the model# RV 760LMT and here's the link to it on the Garmin site:
http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/rv/
Just read some of the reviews and while most were on units two to three years old, a lot of them were negative. Caveat emptor.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Just read some of the reviews and while most were on units two to three years old, a lot of them were negative. Caveat emptor.
Garmin has been around a long time. In fact, it was the first GPS I owned over a decade or more ago. The GPS in the Kenwood served me well during the four years the head unit worked and I have no complaints. Reviews on the web have to be taken with a large block of salt. Many are subjective.

I plan on replacing the Kenwood DNX7190HD with a new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, and use a standalone GPS.