Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbray333 View Post
...Since the existing skid plates are designed to shear off the attachment bolts (and have done so numerous times already) the system seems to be working as designed. Only change I want to make to current design is to drill 1/8" holes in the plates and attach keeper cables to keep from losing one again.
Post script to this thread...

I haven't drilled holes for keeper chains yet (it's on my list) but I did refurb our skid plates and got extra bolts for when the inevitable shear-off occurs. Bolt specs are in the pic.

One thing I noticed in this process is that the existing holes in the plates were not drilled perpendicular to the plate (quality...). Therefore upon switching one plate for the other or perhaps flipping in place, they wouldn't let the bolts pass through cleanly. Rather than trying to figure out which plate originally went on which side or with which end facing forward, I over-drilled the holes to straighten them out.

That's potentially worth knowing / checking in advance unless you potentially want a bit of extra hassle on the road (the first time I tried to wiggle the original hex bolt through the stubborn hole, I eroded the threads and ruined it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_5011.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	265591  

Old 07-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
San Diego , California
I decided to just go with the stock design, with a slight twist. Took 3/8" stainless steel plate, drilled mounting holes as well as a third hole about 1.5" centered from upper edge and attached a SS keeper cable. Since it was 3/8" think, I didn't bother to weld on a wider skid plate. I also made the skid plate 1/2" shorter than stock, which keeps it from as many strikes. Using SS bolts which haven't sheared off on two light strikes but am confident they will work as intended for a hard strike, as I easily twisted it when I got the nut cross threaded initially. Will report back once we return from our next 10K trip this fall.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Remember the old Meat Loaf song "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"? In this ferry context, here's your proof:

I've gone across this particular ferry enough times now, with and without Interstate, to know that I've got a 67% chance of incident-free boarding in Galveston, because one ramp is constructed differently than the other two. On yesterday's trip, I actually disembarked the Interstate via the "iffy" ramp and cleared it. However, if it had been the other way around and I had been boarding, I think I would have had a tail strike. My general rule of thumb is that any inflection as bad or worse than my own driveway is going to bring a strike if met head-on, because gosh knows I've scraped my driveway enough times to know. And this is worse.

On a related note, Vancompass reported doing a rear lift only on an Interstate the other day. This is the first time I've seen just one end and not the whole van lifted. It looks a bit odd if you know what to look for, and I'd like to know how this impacts the driving experience, but it should give its owner a bit of dragging relief, at least.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Thereís at least one ferry thread somewhere on the trailer forums, but there ought to be one for Interstates also, because the challenges are not the same, so here goes.

The only ferry about which I can comment with confidence is the Englishtown Ferry in Nova Scotia, well known because it is on the world-famous Cabot Trail. I see no way in hell an Interstate is ever going to be able to access that thing, not with a generator in the rear end of the vehicle. Ainít Going To Happen. Itís smaller than Bolivar and the ramp is precipitous.
I actually went on that ferry in my standard length Interstate-without any problem at all.

The only time I have ever had a problem was not with the rear end but hitting high center at the macerator over a railroad crossing.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto...have been on many ferries, and have never had a problem...tho always good to be aware of the potential.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I'm glad this thread has popped up to get me thinking. I have been yearning to drive the IA down to Port A (Port Aransas for non-Texans) for a few days of beach and seafood. I think I'll just plan to go around by Corpus Christi rather than take the free ferry from Aransas Pass.

I can just barely get the IA up my driveway without dragging. I never had problems on the ferry with my Classic 28, that I could not get up my driveway, but there is no mind changing once you are in the ferry line.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Living on the Olympic Peninsula, ferry travel is very common.
So far, I've only had my AI on the Port Townsend/Keystone ferry. They replaced the ferries there a few years ago and are good at minimizing ramp issues. Plus they don't run at really low tides due to the very small entrance at Keystone. I Have an aerial I took- it is DARN small.
I certainly had no problems.

BUT- mine has airbags fitted with remote control. So super easy to raise the back a couple of inches. The rear hose holder has been removed (perhaps for the level in system someone installed). I have quite a lot of Clearance.

I've also been on mu smaller Ferries with very low clearance vehicles (various Lotus)- and not had a problem. The ones across Lake Roosevelt are quite small- but Of course no tide issues there. I was on the last run of the ferry across the Columbia to Astoria, just before they opened the bridge ( I have movie someplace)- and the old ferry. Before the hood Canal bridge was built (50's) and of course the temp one when it sank.

Sorry, got to thinking of ferry travel...

Mark
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mine has been on the Port Aransas ferry, and ones on the NW coast...the issue may mostly be the extended length.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Mine has been on the Port Aransas ferry, and ones on the NW coast...the issue may mostly be the extended length.
Maggie
That's what worries me. The propane box is only about 4 1/2 inches off the deck and all that overhang behind it.

It does go up my drive without dragging, if I hit it just right. The last trailer that would go up the drive was my 2003 22' International. Like the trailer, I have to go past my drive 1/4 mile to the cul-de-sac and then hit the drive going north from about 1/2 in the oncoming lane. Going out, I have to reverse the process.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It does go up my drive without dragging, if I hit it just right. ....
Yes, and if you get lucky on the smaller Texas ferries, you might be able to hit the ramp at an angle and succeed by the same principle.

However with the Bolivar ferry, in order to diagonal the ramp, you have to be on the FIRST side of the boat to off-load. Because once they get the first side unloaded, from that point they board and discharge simultaneously such that there's no cut-across space because that other side of the ramp is then filled with oncoming traffic.

Yesterday I watched a guy in a road-hugging sports car hit the ramp as near to 45 degrees as he could manage because he knew all too well what the ramifications were for his set of wheels. But he could do that because he was on the opposite side of the boat to me and his side got off first. I was pole position on my side of the boat (hence my photo above) but by the time I was waved through, boarding vehicles were already streaming at me.

The trouble permutations at the Galveston ferry are downright mathematical, in other words.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I actually went on that ferry in my standard length Interstate-without any problem at all.
Are you sure it was the Torquil? Let me re-post that pic from higher up in this thread, because it's an older thread. Look at that angle! I didn't even think about trying. I drove around St. Ann's Bay.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wonder if the workers who guide vehicles onto the ferries do so with an eye to the vehicle being loaded, and if they make any accommodations or adjustments of any kind based on the vehicles loading?

Maggie
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
I wonder if the workers who guide vehicles onto the ferries do so with an eye to the vehicle being loaded, and if they make any accommodations or adjustments of any kind based on the vehicles loading?
Maggie
They do on the Port-A ferry. When I had my 8' wide, 22' Airstream, I was treated like a car or pickup truck. When I went to the wide-body 28', I was told to straddle both lanes.

I expect a lot of drivers behind me were mumbling since I took up about 1/4 of the boat.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Maggie
With some ferries, I think they'd have to. But you can see from the pic of the Torquil that there's nothing they can do. That's a type of ferry where the ramp is attached to the boat and not to a more complex land-based assistive ramping system. They simply beach the boat and vehicles drive off to the best of their ability. You can also see from the pic that it doesn't matter how the tide rises or falls - that steep angle is going to remain the same.