Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
What hex nut? There is no hex nut involved in this fix. I used a long bolt from my old parts bin & trimmed using dremmel until it does not hit cover. AIR99 used a 1/2" set screw - I have no idea if you may have to trim it a smidge. Whichever route you go, lube the bolt or set screw & threads, make sure it bottoms out. Trim the rubber caps so it bottoms out on top of set screw or else it WILL stick out too far.
Sorry, I meant socket head screw. The 1/2", even without the plastic screw protector, rotated the valve when the cover was closed.

However, a 3/16 socket head screw fit, barely. However, with that screw, the cover barely stays on, so I'll add a bit of silicon caulk to hold it in place.

It's still a much better solution than the "hope I remember to turn down the valve" approach.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
What hex nut? There is no hex nut involved in this fix. I used a long bolt from my old parts bin & trimmed using dremmel until it does not hit cover. AIR99 used a 1/2" set screw - I have no idea if you may have to trim it a smidge. Whichever route you go, lube the bolt or set screw & threads, make sure it bottoms out. Trim the rubber caps so it bottoms out on top of set screw or else it WILL stick out too far.
Sorry, I meant socket head screw. The 1/2", even without the plastic screw protector, rotated the valve when the cover was closed.

However, a shorter screw (I think it was a 3/8th socket head screw) fit, barely. However, with that screw, the cover barely stays on, so I'll add a bit of silicon caulk to hold it in place.

It's still a much better solution than the "hope I remember to turn down the valve" approach.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
However, a shorter screw (I think it was a 3/8th socket head screw) fit, barely. However, with that screw, the cover barely stays on, so I'll add a bit of silicon caulk to hold it in place.
I doubted you but it seems you are right in that there's a difference with the cover, maybe due to slight model year change. 1/8" does not seem like much of a change, but in this case it's the difference between dry or flood 😃 Glad you were able to figure it out and make it work.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote