Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #43
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Back in August I said I would look into fixing this problem. Today I measured the amount that I'd have to cut off the faucet lever to clear the glass top as shown in this photo.
Attachment 225565

It looked like removing 3/16" off the end of lever would clear the lid. So that's what I did with a hacksaw on this chrome plated brass lever.
Attachment 225566

I filed the end smooth and re-colored the worn end cap. Reinstalled lever now looks like this.
Attachment 225567

Lever now clears the glass lid when closed. Should solve the annoying problem.

Hope this is useful,

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Nice..did you have an end cap on yours? Mine is sans end cap. Nice work by the way!

Old 11-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Yes, mine has a plastic end cap that was colored red and blue for hot and cold. The coloring wore off so I used a permanent market to re-color the cap.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes, mine has a plastic end cap that was colored red and blue for hot and cold. The coloring wore off so I used a permanent market to re-color the cap.

- - Mike
How did you get the handle off?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Something to keep in mind if y'all are going to be pulling that faucet apart - this other thread regarding the faucet fitting that tends to break:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ts-121253.html

Bob (the original poster) actually emailed me warning about that issue (we both have 2007 AIs) - that's how I found out about it. But I reckon that if someone is doing any kind of surgery on their faucet, a simultaneous inspection of this other part would make sense. And replacement if it looks like it could be on the way out.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
You're welcome. Well, here it is November and AS continues to deliver AIs with the faulty faucet and few if any dealers preview the issue with new owners. I contacted the head of AI service in Ohio by email in early September. Still no reply. Before Thanksgiving I'll revisit the contact message. Until then, "faucet lever down!"
If / when you re-engage your complaint, you might want to include the URL to my independent blog post on the subject. It is one thing for this to be ranted about in the restricted realm of a forum, but it's another thing when it starts showing up on blogs and (eventually) Twitter feeds. They might take a look at that and conclude that they do, indeed, have a mounting PR issue on their hands that perhaps they should address.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE FAUCET DEFECT: TANK OVERFLOW INSTALL
Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

It has a threaded end. Mine was loose so it was easy to remove.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We too have a 2007. We always make sure the handel is pointing down before we close the lid. End of problem for us and I didn't have to modify a thing!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Yeah....I thought (originally)...we are smart people... We both know to put valve "handle" down before closing the lid.... Then a quick departure showed how haste can impact things.
I was busy in the "head" as we prepared to leave one afternoon. One of us was finishing prep in the galley. I heard the glass go down on the sink, heard the sliding door close.....then heard this tiny little hiss (we were on city water). I thought "Oh crap!" Exited the head and saw the faucet running under the glass. Glad I was inside this time.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
We too have a 2007. We always make sure the handel is pointing down before we close the lid. End of problem for us and I didn't have to modify a thing!
That approach will work well if you have no brain farts, no senior moments, no small children who can't be expected to remember such non-intuitive procedures, no extended family for whom the same principle applies, and no guests stopping by who are unfamiliar with the AI's twitchyness. We bomb out on every one of those criteria, so we need a failsafe. Or two.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That approach will work well if you have no brain farts, no senior moments, no small children who can't be expected to remember such non-intuitive procedures, no extended family for whom the same principle applies, and no guests stopping by who are unfamiliar with the AI's twitchyness. We bomb out on every one of those criteria, so we need a failsafe. Or two.
Trolling through some of the Air Forums trailer threads, here is a product recommended by one of those posters that could be useful as a failsafe for the Interstate's faucet handle issue, discussion of which arose again on the "What would you change on the Interstate?" thread.

The idea being, if you do have a child forget to put the handle in the correct position or if you do have a sleepy moment or a senior moment leading to the commencement of flooding, this $15 item might save your day. It's certainly easier than hack-sawing off the faucet handle or installing a gray water tank emergency relief valve.

Doberman SE-0111 Water Detector Alert
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #53
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Could just change the faucet to one that is closed by the lid shutting, there are plenty of alternate designs on the market that have hot/cold by side to side movement, and up/down being on/off.

Even Dometic/SMEV themself make one called the Comet (AC539) specifically for sinks with glass lids, which actually has to be off for the lid to shut......
Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Could just change the faucet to one that is closed by the lid shutting, there are plenty of alternate designs on the market that have hot/cold by side to side movement, and up/down being on/off.

Even Dometic/SMEV themself make one called the Comet (AC539) specifically for sinks with glass lids, which actually has to be off for the lid to shut......
Now there is a piece of information I don't believe we have seen before. This might be an option for some folks, especially those who experience a failure of some faucet component (it does happen - I know of one Interstate owner who could not find a part and had to repair his using a garden hose connector piece) and would just prefer to replace the whole faucet. However, I did a quick internet search and could not find a domestic retailer - the AC539s all seem to be sold out of Europe. Anyone have convenient sourcing info?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #55
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
They are sold by Reimo in Germany, and Welcome to EuroCampers.com - Parts & Accessories for Vans & Campers Specializing in Sprinter & VW Vans are the Reimo agent for USA so I would start there. I bought mine from a company in the UK and shipped it over.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #56
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
...should have added. Remember when searching faucets are called taps in Europe, and the Florenz 539 is actually made by a company called Comet, and sold by SMEV as the Comet AC539. The one from Reimo has the original Comet branding (Kaltwasserhahn FLORENZ chrom (#630042) - reimo.com (EN)). If you give this product info to the guys at eurocampers.com they can get a USA price.