Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I looked at mine and I don't think a longer faucet lever would work. It would just interfere with closing the glass lid no matter what position it was in. Maybe a shorter stub lever would allow the lid to close without turning on the water. I do agree this is a problem and I imagine every owner of the late model Interstates has accidentally had water running when closing the sink lid.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Mike, You noticed when closed the glass lid barely touches the faucet but makes just enough contact to turn the water on. I'm on a mission to try to sort this out either with Dometic or AS! No more post-it notes or faucet-position reminders taped to the underside of the glass lid for future AI owners! Jeff

Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
I did the same thing. However, mine was on day 1. Day 1 we pickup the AS. Go thru a worthless overview of the van systems. We head to a local RV park and hook up for our 'shakedown' night. Later in the evening, we go out for a walk around the RV park. Come back 30 min later to water running down the street. Turns out it was coming from our RV. I was not a happy camper (no pun intended). The design flaw is inexcusable. I cannot believe it has not been addressed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
I did the same thing. However, mine was on day 1. Day 1 we pickup the AS. Go thru a worthless overview of the van systems. We head to a local RV park and hook up for our 'shakedown' night. Later in the evening, we go out for a walk around the RV park. Come back 30 min later to water running down the street. Turns out it was coming from our RV. I was not a happy camper (no pun intended). The design flaw is inexcusable. I cannot believe it has not been addressed yet.

Another "floodee" heard from. I will update the thread when I find out about a correction to the problem. I was mainly struck by the fact that the two owners of new 2014.5 AI's I met on our most recent road trip had the identical issue with the sink..same as our 2013. Neither were advised of the flaw during delivery (same with us).
Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Can you sand anything down on the underside of the sink cover, to eliminate the contact with the faucet?

Maggie
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Can you sand anything down on the underside of the sink cover, to eliminate the contact with the faucet?
Sink cover is tempered glass, so that's a "No."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have a trailer but also had a flooding incident. Actually 2x. First was much less traumatic than the second but while driving ( with the water pump left on) the kitchen sink faucet came on and caused the grey tank to overflow into the shower pan. Splashing water while driving caused the floor to get wet and a little of the carpet. Not so bad and quickly rectified. Second, not so easy. Same cause ( you'd think we'd have learned the 1st. go around). Faucet came on but there was a dish pan in the sink which overflowed and flooded the forward area which is carpeted. Lots of sopping and getting a rug shampoo unit to suck up as much as possible and a few days of drying resolved this one. NOW we make sure the water pump is OFF when traveling.

I suppose from these postings that the Interstates don't have a pump on/off switch ???

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Yes there is a pump on-off switch right over the kitchen sink. Remembering to turn off when driving or leaving for the day is the issue.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I suppose from these postings that the Interstates don't have a pump on/off switch ???
They do. But these events happen mostly in campgrounds, not on the road, and as often as not while we're hooked up to municipal water so we don't even have the sound of a pump to warn us.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Well, I have no dog in this race, but if you of a mind for a technological solution, here's a suggestion:

Get one (or two) of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.png
Views:	191
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	219022

one of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	reed switches.png
Views:	180
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	219021

and an automotive relay and you could arrange to cut off the water supply to the faucet whenever the glass top is closed.

Kind of extreme, I admit. But you guys sound desperate.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Then you can't use the lavatory or flush the toilet.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Then you can't use the lavatory or flush the toilet.
That's why you need the solenoid valve(s). I meant to put the valve(s) at the sink, not at the pump, so the rest of the system would be unaffected. If it weren't for the "use the bathroom" issue, you could simply have the "cover closed" sensor turn off the pump.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That's why you need the solenoid valve(s). I meant to put the valve(s) at the sink, not at the pump, so the rest of the system would be unaffected. If it weren't for the "use the bathroom" issue, you could simply have the "cover closed" sensor turn off the pump.

I think there is a simpler solution. When I get home from this Alaska trip I'm going to shorten the faucet lever just enough to clear the glass cover when closed. I think that might do the trick, but it might take some tweaking.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post

The EXACT same thing happened on our first day in our 2013 Interstate. After reading this thread, I don't feel so bad.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bound Brook , New Jersey
Hopefully all of those of us reading the forum before we sign the purchase agreement like me are taking note!