Old 02-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The Interstates delivered from Airstream, even with SB-164, are simply not designed for this type of use unless you run the generator for several hours each day.
The Interstate could easily be used for a weekend in a state park or national forest if Airstream hadn't borked this repair.

The original problem with the Interstate was about parking. The Interstate couldn't be parked for a month.

Airstream fixed that by doubling the battery drain when we're using the van, and screwing up even that. After SB-164, the Inverter doesn't work any more.

Perhaps Airstream might put someone who graduated from high-school to work on this. Getting the Interstate to a point where it can be both 1) parked, and 2) used for a weekend is not complicated. Beyond Airstream, though.

Does everyone think I'm a nut for wanting this van to be useable for a weekend? Is everyone else driving from hotel to hotel? Or spending $thousands on replacing everything?

Old 03-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
I was extremely disappointed (pissed) that Airstream misleads its boondocking capability feature. It simply doesn't. Like Boxter, I had I all changed out, down to the pathetic wiring, 300W solar panels, new bluesky charging system, 2000A puresine inverter, and 440Ah of battery backup. I have true-shutoff and recently added a toggle switch that shuts off the navigation system while the Battery Disconnect Switch is on. Out of the box the AI is designed to boondock in your driveway and not much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
I had I all changed out, down to the pathetic wiring, 300W solar panels, new bluesky charging system, 2000A puresine inverter, and 440Ah of battery backup.
I would love to have my unit changed out like this. I am not able to do this myself, what is the best way to determine if a service center is qualified to do this type of work?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Contact Lewster on AirForums
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Lew Faber is on this forum regularly. He goes by "lewster"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...ter-10325.html

Here is his tag line...

Lew Farber-RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician MASTER TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR FACTORY AUTHORIZED SALES & INSTALLATIONS ...AMS LITHIUM BATTERIES...MAGNUM INVERTERS ...LIFELINE AGM BATTERIESCOMPLETE ELECTRICAL UPGRADES
Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
To K9CarCrate
Which wire do you put the switch on to turn off the navigation system without turning off all power to the radio? We like to be able to play music while stopped - but don't need to navigate anywhere while parked at a campground (or Walmart). Killing all power requires us to re-do the set-up parameters (language, etc.) each time - something I 'd like to avoid.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
To K9CarCrate
Which wire do you put the switch on to turn off the navigation system without turning off all power to the radio? We like to be able to play music while stopped - but don't need to navigate anywhere while parked at a campground (or Walmart). Killing all power requires us to re-do the set-up parameters (language, etc.) each time - something I 'd like to avoid.

In my research of the Kenwood wiring requirements and my experience with the Airstream installed unit if you cut all power to the Kenwood the setup screen comes up on re-powering this integrated unit. You don't have to enter new data just go to bottom of the screen and select next. All my radio presets and navigation history remain. You can't separate the power for navigation from other functions of the unit.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
Titus,
My apologies, I may have not been clear--when I spoke of shutting off the navigation system I meant the entire system including the music portion of the unit. I do not remember the wire other than recalling a split wire that connects to the chassis and coach batteries. I suspect you have the original Kenwood and the loss of information stored indicates a hard system reset. I was never able to store data in the navigation system for any long periods of time and in hindsight this was a symptom of the Kenwood system eventually failing. To my knowledge it is a single power source for navigation and music systems. I had the toggle shut off in cases where I was boondocking on coach batteries, not using navigation/music, and didn't want to draw from coach batteries. With 440Ah of battery backup, I rarely use the toggle, but wanted the option in case. I hope this answers your question better.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums