Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thankful for my Interstate

Now, first of all, I have in the past made it no secret that in my opinion Airstream does some pretty frustrating things, at least in my case, regarding build quality. I certainly have had more than my share of problems with mine.

I had previously owned a Roadtrek, and erroneously thought their build quality today was comparable to what it was then. Today, I inspected several new Sprinter based Roadtreks, and was appalled at the cheapness of the materials used as well as the build qualtlity. In two of the models, you could slide your hand between the cabinet and door. The hinges were very cheap as well as the latches. The entire van had a look like it had been slapped together, using the least expensive parts and materials as possible.

It made me appreciate the quality of the materials in my Interstate and the design and build itself. It's not perfect, but it is sure a lot better than what I saw today, and sure glad I didn't order a new Roadtrek sight unseen.

I'm sticking with my Airstream Interstate for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I agree with you. We all complain about problems with our Interstates, but the design, materials and systems used by Airstream in their Interstate conversions are some of the best quality items in the RV Industry.

A close friend bought a Roadtrek Sprinter model last year and has had many problems. There was a DC outlet wired backwards that caused him to destroy several phone chargers. He contacted me last week looking for help with cabinet latches that don't work and overhead storage bin hinges that broke. Fortunately he has a dealer near by to get warranty service.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do love mine.

9+ years, approaching 172,000 miles, and all of the lower 48 states.

Wouldn't have anything else.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I agree that the design and materials Airstream uses are pretty much at the top of the heap. It's the execution that is lacking.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It may not be the best RV. It may not be the best motorhome. It may not be the best Class B motorhome. It may not be the best Sprinter-based Class B motorhome. It may not even be the best Airstream Interstate. But it's mine, it's paid for (so it's all mine), and I'm going to keep using it until either it or I give up the ghost, whichever comes first.

It won't go everywhere, it won't do everything, but it goes enough and does enough. It has allowed me to go places I never would have gone, do things I never would have done, and meet people I never would have met, all without any insurmountable problems— so far.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Protag.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
We have only had ours for a month or so. Last three days I pulled into any beach/campground whose sign was interesting . The machine performed superbly letting us enjoy so many places we could not have gone with a travel trailer or or own SUV.

Reliability wise, only a stuck power shade on the door exists. Might change in the future but so far, so good. And yes, the look and solid construction of the cabinet to this woodwork is amazing and puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
+1. Recently went to Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Death Valley and Mammoth Lake with no problems of any consequence. The Sprinter delivered 17mpg overall and the coach had no problems. We are good with ours.
Road Jager
Old 06-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Nice to here those good reports, refreshing!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
What I like about it is that it often surprises me with above grade features/components. For example it has a dimmer for the LED lights in the cabin. How useful! We turned them way down to still have enough light for my work to work but not so much as to light us up like a Christmas tree in the park! Yes, the flicker a bit at mid settings but still, it cost to have all that put in with extra controller, wiring and switch, etc.

They put in a blu-ray player rather than DVD. Was nice to bring my library of Blu-rays to watch. Don't need the extra picture quality but compatibility with the discs that I have is important.

Nice to have that shiney, Airstream aluminum ceiling. Bought a plant at a nursery to take home on a trip just to realize it was just a hair too tall. Let it touch the aluminum and it did fine. Can't imagine doing that with a fabric headliner.

The Mercedes Sprinter side also has full features such as lane departure. I don't like this in standard cars but in the Interstate/Sprinter, I find that it drifts pretty quickly out of the lane. If I just take my eye off the road for a second to look at something on the side this can happen. The warning chime gets me back on track.

The rear/side camera system is excellent. The image quality and brightness is great even in low light. They could have put a cheap junk, costco special in there to get the checklist but they did not. I could not use the Interstate without this excellent tool. I would hate to have to fish and install this system myself.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
We like the indirect mood lighting. It is perfect for watching movies.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Now, first of all, I have in the past made it no secret that in my opinion Airstream does some pretty frustrating things, at least in my case, regarding build quality. I certainly have had more than my share of problems with mine.

I had previously owned a Roadtrek, and erroneously thought their build quality today was comparable to what it was then. Today, I inspected several new Sprinter based Roadtreks, and was appalled at the cheapness of the materials used as well as the build qualtlity. In two of the models, you could slide your hand between the cabinet and door. The hinges were very cheap as well as the latches. The entire van had a look like it had been slapped together, using the least expensive parts and materials as possible.

It made me appreciate the quality of the materials in my Interstate and the design and build itself. It's not perfect, but it is sure a lot better than what I saw today, and sure glad I didn't order a new Roadtrek sight unseen.

I'm sticking with my Airstream Interstate for the foreseeable future.

Gmillerok,

Nice thread, it's finally nice to hear some positive. Everyone can always have something negative to say but you never hear the good things.

We love our interstate, actually our second one now and I agree the build is far superior than comparable models. Of course it's not a million dollar coach, but overall not far off.

The only problem is:

WE DONT USE IT ENOUGH !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Post some pictures under:

Picture of your interstate thread

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums