Views:	109
Size:	904.3 KB
ID:	211705

Any questions?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Well, our "first trip" was towing her home from Utah to California. We could sleep in her, but she needed total restoration, but no refrig, stove, or bathroom was usable... we camped anyway. Just pretended we were "tent" camping. Once we got her home hubby started restoration, our "second" first trip was just after we got the outside shell on and we "camped" in an empty shell... just like "tent" camping again. Since then it has been "uphill"!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Along the Yellowstone River

May 1st along the Yellowstone River in Montana on my wife's birthday.
Beautiful spring day between snow storms........
Everything went well except I was unable to untwist the sewer drain cap, I think the factory plumber (by mistake) glued it into place? We had to beat the cap off with a screwdriver/hammer.....the cap was covered under warranty ($3.75 part).

Cheers!

Mike and Tanya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	211753  
Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #32

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
My first trip was a solo run to ride the inaugural run of the Cumbres and Tolted Scenic Railroad engine 463 (a "mud hen" after the completion of her multi-year rebuild. The Interstate performed beautifully, other than my accidentally running the kitchen sink over, but that was operator error. The rest of the trip was very comfortable and problem free. In fact, travel in the Interstate could best be described as uneventful.

The train trip, not so much. We had a series of hotbox problems on the coaches and kept having to stop to stuff more oily rags into the journal boxes. But all in all a very satisfactory day on the narrow gauge, even if it did snow when we were up at 10,000 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_5190003.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	211777   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo%201.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	211778  

Name:	photo%205.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	211779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo%203.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	211780  

ó Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
Our first trip was flying to Seattle and driving back in AI from Whidbey Island to S. California
Took us two days, it wasn't really camping ,we stayed in hotel in Medford, Oregon.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Our first trip was to the Jackson Rancheria in California to attend an Airstream rally. We had owned our 1969 caravel for two weeks at the time. It was a wonderful experience but it taught us that that an 18ft Caravel was too small for us-especially with the wet bath right next to the bed. So, we sold it and bought a 1967 Safari which is 22ft. Much better.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Our fist trip was to Alumapalooza 5 in Jackson Center, OH. We had a great time, met lots of wonderful people and learned a lot! We are looking forward to our next adventure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	213312  
Old 06-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Our first trip was to Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, Florida. We had only had the camper for less than two weeks and scurried to get her in order for our annual Thanksgiving outing. Only problem was being told, by a passer-by as we pulled into the campground, that we had a flat tire!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Maple Valley , Washington
First Trip in our New AI

We headed straight from the dealer's lot in the Seattle area to the Oregon Coast. Cannon Beach and sunshine, what more could you ask for. We were probably the smallest unit in the RV park, but we also got in and out more quickly than the others!

People walking the park asked about our Interstate and loved it!

The awning alarm went off on the freeway while driving home, which caused a brief panic, but otherwise all went well.

We headed to Lake Chelan the very next weekend! We love it
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Flew into LA with two duffle bags and two suitcases of camping gear. Took delivery in Primm Nevada and first night was spent in Walmart parking lot in Las Vegas after buying more supplies. Then 10 nights at National Parks in S Utah. Picked up a hitch-hiker in Canyonlands - boy was he impressed. Reservation refused at a private campground near Canyonlands because we were 'snobs in a Mercedes'. We got a good laugh from that. Then through the Rockies in the snow on I-70. 3000 miles (and one hailstorm) later we were home - a successful shakedown trip in which we averaged 19 mpg!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Falls Church , Virginia
Drove from DC -> Charleston, SC -> St. Augustine, FL -> Miami, FL -> Key West, FL -> Orlando, FL -> Houston, TX -> Dallas, TX -> Memphis, TN -> DC. We bought our '13 Lounge EXT used, so the previous owner did the shakedown. We felt cursed on our trip, but in hindsight, it wasn't bad. In FL, there was moderate traffic but dark so it was hard to see. A piece of truck tire was on the road, and I couldn't maneuver around it, so I ended running over it on the passenger side. Later, I find out it broke the propane switch, so I couldn't turn on the generator. With help from this forum and the gentleman I bought the AI from, I was able to fix it with a new toggle switch from Radio Shack. A few days later, the exhaust pipe to the generator fell off and is dragging by the hanger. I didn't know it happened until a car pulls up next to me pointing at the rear of the RV. Luckily, I had bought some rope and was able to tie it up until I could get it fixed. I, now, have a coat hanger tying it up 'cause I don't trust the clamp.

So all these things happen, and we're not even halfway through our trip. We were in Miami on the way down to Key West when this guy in a H2 pulls up next to me and is saying something. I look at my wife and was like, "What fell of the RV now?" I rolled down the window and he said, "Nice ride....what is it?" What a relief!

We have an "almost" cross country trip in a few days. See my post on itinerary suggestions/tips. We're praying everything goes smoothly. We're still learning where the dump stations and propane refills are. But, overall, so far so good.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
arlington heights , Illinois
We are new to the RV lifestyle and to the AI (2013 EXT) lounge edition. After reading the post by "pennstate95" above, it occurred to me that we could write an analogous trip report for our first few trips. I am beginning to believe that the kinds of issues that "pennstate95" encountered are part of the lifestyle and one needs to prepare for these kinds of things and take them in stride as they occur.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Question Maybe, maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullovern View Post
We are new to the RV lifestyle and to the AI (2013 EXT) lounge edition. After reading the post by "pennstate95" above, it occurred to me that we could write an analogous trip report for our first few trips. I am beginning to believe that the kinds of issues that "pennstate95" encountered are part of the lifestyle and one needs to prepare for these kinds of things and take them in stride as they occur.
Would you be this forgiving if you were driving your brand new $100K+ new car and the tailpipe fell off or a door handle ceased functioning?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullovern View Post

Preparation is key. This forum is an invaluable resource for learning about what can go wrong and how to either prevent certain things from happening to you, or deal with them if they do occur.

I have found that faithful reading of forum discussions helps me to perform pre trip inspections that may detect something about to go wrong. So, don't let worries over malfunctions spoil your trip planning. Just make sure you're doing your best in pre trip inspections and maintenance.

Happy travels!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums