Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
1995 and Newer RVs. NO Conversion Buses or Vans.
Interesting— AND fortuitous— that they don't consider an Airstream Interstate to be a conversion van!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
arlington heights , Illinois
We slept two nights in our driveway. Then a trip from Chicago to the Lake of the Ozarks area of MO. We found s $17/night campground near Steelville MO. We decided to celebrate so we went into Steelville to dine at a restaurant. We ate at the "Sparerib Inn" which doesn't serve spareribs. I had a hamburger steak and Mac & Cheese for dinner. This is really livin'! :-)

Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
First trip wife and I took was to Buescher State park this past Thanksgiving week. Rained for two and a half days good chance to make sure every thing works and to think about the changes we want to do. Every thing did not work correctly and came up with to many things to do. On the good side did not go stir crazy a lot more room than our popup even though it has a slide out. Just got to figure out how to control the condensation when camping in cold wet weather.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Interesting— AND fortuitous— that they don't consider an Airstream Interstate to be a conversion van!
True, I called ahead and told them what I had and they said it would be fine. I figure this was either because it was a late model upscale van or because they had plenty of empty sites.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Our first trip came about 5 months after we'd bought our vintage Tradewind. We'd done the essentials to get it road safe and had gotten as far on the interior as pulling out the gauchos.

So we parked on a friend's wilderness hillside in an aluminum tent - but one that still had running water and a working stove. It was lovely to get up from our sleeping bag on the air bed and make coffee without having to go outside. The middle "room" held our ice chest and construction tools and materials for the projects we would get back to when we got home.

This first trip gave us a very good feel for what we liked about the trailer and what form any improvements should take. Gradual refurbishing in between regular camping trips led to us making different decisions and a better trailer for us than if we'd tried to do it all before we used it.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Our first trip was in March 2013 to Key West, FL from our home in Maryland. We bought the Interstate in October 2012, but only used it as a local driver until we could take our first trip. Considered staying one night in our driveway to check things out, but it was too cold. So we headed out with our first stop in South Carolina where it was just warm enough to be comfortable.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My first trip - first EVER towing anything except for 5 miles between campgrounds in Va Beach that a great co-pilot accompanied me on...

And wouldn't you know it, I got a REALLY scary driver right next to me on I-64. If I slowed down He slowed down, If I speeded up so did he. And he had a bunch of kids in the van with him. I gratefully realized that there was a rest stop just outside of Williamsburg so though I'd been on the road for less than 2 hours I decided to pull in. I knew there'd always be a state trooper there and it would be full of cars.

I almost pulled into the car section on instinct, but remembered to head for the truck and trailer lane. As soon as I came to a stop he was right there, shouting "OMG it's an Airstream, I always wanted one of these, I wish they still made them, Is yours for sale?" Worry turned to laughter. We chatted. He and his family were going to DC to the National Zoo. I told him to keep his eyes to the right on I-95 just before Fredericksburg - that he'd see MORE Airstreams in the dealership there.

He went away happy, I went away relieved.

"Do they still make those things?" or "How did you get that old Airstream looking like it just came off the showroom floor?" are still not infrequent questions, though they generally happen when I'm already parked.

Paula
Old 04-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
AA Co , Maryland
Was in Calif for a long time….been driving back and forth from Maryland for over 10 years putting 109,000 on a Roadtrek.
Before returning to the east coast, I traded my 2003/2002 RT on a 2013/2012 Interstate. Didn't have time to go through the walk through….don't advise that! Drove the rig back to Calif and then left a couple of weeks later, end of Feb…..hated leaving Calif's upper 70s weather!
Stopped off in Kentucky where I got iced in for a couple of days….was thrilled the way this new AI handled the snow covered ice…..didn't slide once….had a rough time chipping away at the ice which covered the windshield and glued the windshield wipers shut. The electric cord plugged into my son's home was covered in ice as well…it took me 45 minutes to free the cord….actually two cords due to the extension….what a mess. I didn't know propane ran the generator…..maybe it doesn't but I do know once I got a full tank of propane, the generator kicked in.
I still haven't read all the information on how everything works! I have no idea where to fill the water tank. Finally figured out the radio/cdplayer/gps!
I tried to make the over 12 hour trip from Kentucky to Maryland without resting…..didn't work…..had to pull over twice to shut my eyes…..felt perfectly safe at rest stops with loads of truckers around me.
Driving was a breeze…..no problem at all getting up mountains……my RTs service engine light (Chevy) used to come on every time I went up steep hills and it crawled….no one ever figured out why…..I just got used to it. Not with this new one! You should have seen me…..it drove so well, I didn't realize how fast I was going on occasion…..whoa nellie.
Sleeping was great….I've read some have purchased mattress toppers….we slept on two quilts and under two quilts and were perfectly comfy. We were used to sleeping width wise in our RT…..sleeping length wise was great….more leg room to really stretch our legs.
It took me four nights on the road to finally figure out the best way to do my hair and makeup….I know, you guys don't care about those things but I sure do! My RT had full length mirrors….not so in the AI. However! I finally figured out how to do it all and I'm thrilled…..it's working out better in my AI.
Some of you might be wondering about my user id, 'From Dad'……my dad passed away in Nov. We grew up with the Airstream brand. Because of Dad and a gift he left me, I decided to go back to my roots and trade in my RT for my Airstream. Eventually I want to get a trailer….a small one like a Bambi to tow.
Sooooooo much more happened on the way back to Md but this is enough for now.
I've heard these diesel engines have 300,000 to 500,000 miles of life…..if that's true, it will take me to the end of my life.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Interstate needs more mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDad View Post
... It took me four nights on the road to finally figure out the best way to do my hair and makeup….I know, you guys don't care about those things but I sure do! My RT had full length mirrors….not so in the AI. However! I finally figured out how to do it all and I'm thrilled…..it's working out better in my AI. ...
Welcome to the Interstate family!

I agree that lack of mirrors is a weakness in the AI. Guys need one too for shaving. I'm adding a large mirror on outside of bathroom. This is the one I'm using as it is a plastic safety mirror.
Amazon.com - Rectangle Shatterproof Acrylic Safety Mirror - 12in x 16in -
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Welcome to the Interstate family!

I agree that lack of mirrors is a weakness in the AI. Guys need one too for shaving. I'm adding a large mirror on outside of bathroom. This is the one I'm using as it is a plastic safety mirror.
Amazon.com - Rectangle Shatterproof Acrylic Safety Mirror - 12in x 16in -
We have a full wardrobe next to the galley so to solve the mirror issue I ordered a 2nd mirror (identicle to the bath mirror) and plan to install it on the forward side of the wardrobe next to the kitchen sink. We don't cook in our unit so we'll use the kitchen to shave, do make up etc.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Our first trip in our 2014 Interstate was last weekend to Lincoln Rock State Park on the Columbia River. Mostly sunny, low 50's, so a nice break from Seattle weather. After checkout time at out campsite, we drove down to the lower loop, with no utilities, and parked in a spot right on the river and had lunch. Also ran the TV on batteries.

Everything worked great. We did not try the sewer thing. Maybe next time.

Our dog hasn't quite figured out his spot yet. In the Bambi, he slept under the dinette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396745402.588066.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	209038
Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
Lazy scouter

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Plano , Texas
I think I'll do a cheap 5' mirror on that bathroom slide-out, and put it on hinges, with magnets to keep it stuck. I'll put a clear plastic film on it to make it more durable.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
AA Co , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrap View Post
I think I'll do a cheap 5' mirror on that bathroom slide-out, and put it on hinges, with magnets to keep it stuck. I'll put a clear plastic film on it to make it more durable.
Put it on hinges? I want to see this….please Please let me know how it goes. I think you are onto something……trying to picture it…..are you talking about a piano type hinge? Where would the magnets stick?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
RT 66 14 days first trip...

Our first trip was a 2 week trip. We flew into Denver from Chicago on April 5th. We packed 3 suitcases with some basics for the van and cloths. After landing we began a 2 week trip from Denver to LA and stopped in Las Vegas. We spent 2 nights boon docking in Furnace creek, in Death Valley. From there we followed route 66 back to Chicago with a stop in the Tucson area to visit 2 national parks. In all we stayed at or visited 8 National Parks. We averaged 22.3 MPG and drove right at 5000 miles. Everything worked perfect, used every option on the airstream without a single problem. I was very please on how the 2005 Interstate handled both in the mountains and in the extremely high wind we had in Kansas on the way back. This was our first diesel and our first sprinter. We sold our road trek last year and purchased the interstate for this trip, with the thought of selling it this summer. But after a month, it looks like we will be keeping it for quite a while!