Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Pinehurst , Texas
Teardrop as extra bedroom on AI

I take delivery next month on my 2018 Interstate 4x4. There are two issues we're worrying over. One is the lack of cargo space to carry toys - telescope/astronomy gear, inflatable kayak, backpacking gear, blah blah blah. The other is how to bring along another couple when there's plenty of seating but only sleeps two. I had the idea of a small teardrop trailer as either a toy hauler OR a spare bedroom.

Has anyone done this? Any brand recommendations, gotchas, or valuable lessons learned along the way?

TIA!
Daxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
I pull my homemade teardrop sometimes when I'm also using my Alaskan truck camper. It does give you a lot more options for sleeping arrangements and packing stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Natalie Hunting Island.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	299323   Click image for larger version

Name:	tybee bound.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	299324  

Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
This doesn't address extra sleeping room for another couple, but this is what we did to carry our extra items for biking, golf, and curling.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	299329Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	299330
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have seen several AIs towing smaller Bambi’s. Makes a cool looking combination. Seems a teardrop would make an excellant garage or sleeping area for extra company or kids.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Good idea

We have a teardrop and have used it in the past as an overflow spot when the house fills up on holiday visits. A visit from one couple asked if they could use it whenever they visit, ha. We are pondering selling to get a small Airstream when we find the right price.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Basecamp!

Basecamp!

Seriously, if you pull something with an AS, do you have electric brakes on the thing being pulled? Just wondering how this works. . . .
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
When I first took delivery, I folded the seats down into the sleeping position. I then took two thick foam toppers and placed them on the seats. I have not moved the toppers out or put the seats back up and don’t intend to. I am a travel photographer, and often include about 100 pounds of gear consisting of 3 rolling carry-on sized bags. I also usually have another 2 or 3 smaller sling bags and a tripod and a monopod. When I am driving, the bags sit on the bed. When sleeping, the bags get rolled up in-between the front seats or placed in the rear overhead. A dirty clothes bag and OXX coffee pot bag go under the seats, easilly accessible from inside the van. From the rear doors, and under that portion of the bed, I keep a compressor, a spare box of DEF, an Orvis bag of tools and another box of spare shoes and coats or whatever the season requires.

I found that the folded seats were too uncomfortable and lumpy without the toppers, and it would be too much of a timewaster and headache to fold the seats back into position everyday. It’s tight when putting on sheets given that you can’t walk around the outside of the bed. I have a Let’s Go Aero hitch box for hoses and cables and usually a small generator or two plus a collapsable ladder, etc. The Let’s Go Aero box is a little flimsy, but it’s held up on multiple cross-country trips without any issues.

As for an extra couple, you have to think about having to dump the tanks, and given their small size, you’re going to be dumping very often. Also, if you have two baths, you also have two dump hoses, so now you have the extra headache of trying to position for two when parking. If you pull trailer with a bath, you’ll have the space you want, but then you won’t have the flexibility of going most places where a car can go. Sometimes in a congested area, when you’re trying to get in to a fuel station for instance, negotiating the pumps takes some time.

The advantage of a B-van is the maneuverability. Two's company, three's a crowd; travel lightly. Search my other posts for items that I took out of my van to increase space. Have fun.

instagram: coasttocoastphotoatl
facebook: fb.me/coasttocoastphoto
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Earlier this year I rented a travel trailer from a local company in Phoenix for a friend from the UK so the three of us could view the solar eclipse and tour the northwest. Picture attached.
I was really hoping for something much smaller such as a teardrop, but he's 6'4" and wanted his comfort including a bathroom! But it worked out OK and we managed to get up the hills.
It cost him $65 per day.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RX500353.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	299363  
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Some campgrounds specify only 1 RV per sight or even no other trailers on your sight. Could mean extra cost for another sight or parking the trailer in a storage area if not needed for sleeping.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Some campgrounds specify only 1 RV per sight or even no other trailers on your sight. Could mean extra cost for another sight or parking the trailer in a storage area if not needed for sleeping.
Agree, but we stuck to BLM or USFS sites, or dry camping, and never paid for more than one site.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
Vistabule makes a great teardrop and it is covered with an aluminum skin they buy from Airstream (vistabule.com). I was considering buying one until my wife asked, "Where is the bathroom". Thus we ended up with a 25' Flying Cloud. Not a bad backup.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have looked at numerous tear drop campers to use for camping when I travel by myself. I have found that my REI 8x8 tent does fine for my needs. However, if I were to buy a tear drop, the one I like best is made by Taxa and is the TigerMoth.

Dan

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	299401
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candominium View Post
Vistabule makes a great teardrop and it is covered with an aluminum skin they buy from Airstream (vistabule.com). I was considering buying one until my wife asked, "Where is the bathroom". Thus we ended up with a 25' Flying Cloud. Not a bad backup.
Funny. Same situation and same teardrop I was going to buy. Had everything listed for the options that I wanted (including their 2” axle lift) and was ready to buy until I shared my plans with the wife... reason why we ended up buying the AI (and reason also it was a TB edition and not the standard). No way she was going to go for that extreme living arrangements while on the road ...

Happy wife, happy life. But I still would love to have that Vistabule....

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Enjoying the teardrop, but..........

We have camped in the beginning in tents, didn't everyone? We stepped up to our teardrop and for the quick trips it is great but the two things that are beginning to become more apparent, at least to me, is the lack of a bathroom and traveling with our dogs. As I have gotten older I find the need of facilities during the night and teardrops are lacking in that department. I also don't want to venture too far when the dogs are kept in the teardrop. I understand the wife's hesitancy.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We owned a Camp Inn Tear Drop for 4 years and over 20k miles before getting our AS. The Camp Inn teardrop is a well made high quality unit. We loved it but the midnight runs to use the bathroom in the pouring rain or freezing cold made us rethink things.

The camp inn customer service was OUTSTANDING. When you call the owner would answer or call you back. During the warranty period we never had a problem they weren't able to solve on their nickel.

There is a very active Camp Inn tear drop Forum that has a ton of information.
http://www.campinnforum.com/community/

Camp Inn teardrops are built to order. so you can get it striped down or with all the comforts of home. With the teardrop in tow you also you get the benefit of a ready to go outdoor kitchen They are not cheap but for us the craftsmanship was well worth the cost. It was east to sell and had great resale value after four years. Used units are often listed on the forum. We sold ours that way.

If you contact Camp Inn tell Cary Benn said Hi.

We have no financial or other interest in Camp Inn just satisfied buyers.

PM me if you want more info.

Benn
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
Yes, we towed a teardrop behind ours for our friend and her dog. It worked out great. Yes we usually had to pay for two spots. We traveled this way for ten days.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote