Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #41
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
If you Google "Teak Shower Mat" you get several products from a variety of retailers for under $50. You might have to alter one to fit the custom dimensions of your shower.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
OK, I admit it: I splurged on paying teakworks4u $172 for a teak shower mat for our 27FB.

1. It looks gorgeous.
2. Unlike the fiberglass shower floor, it's not slippery at all --- and I'm an olfogey with balance problems and am fearful of falling, which I DO NOT WANT TO DO in the AS shower --- ouch!
3. I'm an old boater, since grade school, and as an old boater, teak means something special for me.
4. As an old boater, I'm quite familiar with building boat projects out of teak. Teak is now around $30 a board-foot. I priced how much teak I would need to build an identical shower mat, and I got between 4 & 5 board-feet. At $30/BF, that's $120-$150. For $172, I thought I'd let teakworks4u build it for me.

So far, no downsides to the teak shower mat, except possibly that it reduces the standing headroom in the shower by around an inch. I guess if you're a giraffe, that might make a difference.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
3. I'm an old boater, since grade school, and as an old boater, teak means something special for me.
4. As an old boater, I'm quite familiar with building boat projects out of teak.
Here too. The real salty teak mats have the boards interlocked. Beautiful!
The good news is teak is easy to work with, but mistakes are costly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grate - SLouderback - 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	302713  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
So far, no downsides to the teak shower mat, except possibly that it reduces the standing headroom in the shower by around an inch. I guess if you're a giraffe, that might make a difference.
It makes a difference in my Interstate. Used to be— before the teak mat— I had full stand-up headroom, barely. Now after installing the mat, I have to duck my chrome-dome to keep from hitting the wet bath ceiling. But it's worth the inconvenience to avoid standing in water when the Interstate isn't completely level.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Teak Shower Mat

My dad captained a beautiful yacht made entirely out of teak. Even the bilges were teak. Started with a railcar full of teak, the original captain hand selected and matched every piece of the visible work. Built by John Trumpy and Sons years ago. Was a maintenance nightmare with all the brightwork but a magnificent appearance...

Spent my summers helping dad overhaul the GM 6-71 diesel injection and heat exchangers...engine room was white glove clean at all times...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
OK, I admit it: I splurged on paying teakworks4u $172 for a teak shower mat for our 27FB.

1. It looks gorgeous.

2. Unlike the fiberglass shower floor, it's not slippery at all --- and I'm an olfogey with balance problems and am fearful of falling, which I DO NOT WANT TO DO in the AS shower --- ouch!

4. As an old boater, I'm quite familiar with building boat projects out of teak. Teak is now around $30 a board-foot. I priced how much teak I would need to build an identical shower mat, and I got between 4 & 5 board-feet. At $30/BF, that's $120-$150. For $172, I thought I'd let teakworks4u build it for me.

Ordered from TeakWorks and they had one “in stock” ... two day shipping incl. $190

Looks great, now I just need to put clear feet+pads all around so it stops rattling in the bathroom (while I drive down the road).
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:22 AM   #47
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Ordered from TeakWorks and they had one “in stock” ... two day shipping incl. $190

Looks great, now I just need to put clear feet+pads all around so it stops rattling in the bathroom (while I drive down the road).
Reach out to them and they will send you a small roll of the tape they use along with some contact cement. Use that to create the feet/pads you need to avoid the rattling.

I did not use the contact cement. Instead I used some of the leftover 3M VHB tape from the solar install.

Will post photos later.

I did try the clear feet but the ones I had were to small to fill the gap.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #48

Orlando , Florida
This is what they will send you. I cut square pieces and stack them up to the thickness I needed to prevent the rocking. Glued in place with the 3M double face VHB tape

For some reason some AI did not have flat shower/bathroom floors...

I did try using some of those cabinets door bumpers...(link) but those were way to small for what I needed to fix this.

When I get a break I will take a photo of the finished product. These suckers ended up being about 1/2" thick at the end...it was a significant gap.

The other option, I guess, would have been to sand down by 1/2" the center support piece... I think that would have had the same results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	303705  
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #49

Orlando , Florida
Photos... 1/4" on each side...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	303721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	303722  

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	303723  
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Just called and they have the pattern for the AI GT. I am in the marine business and teak is not cheap. Carpenters are not cheap. $181 delivered sounds good to me. Shipped same day (according to their auto emails) so they must be stocking a few extras.
Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I called to see if they had a template for a 26U. They do not, but they are willing to make a mat if I provide a template or buy their $10 template kit.

I might still make my own.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1519099583.434188.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  77.3 KB
Ikea to the rescue.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Teak Shower Mat

Our solution
And it also makes for self leveling
Rubber feet, Home Depot $2-3 pack of 4 then use stainless screws and washers.

Name:	IMG_0696.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	304609
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I happened to notice this product in West Marine the other day. Another teak alternative, especially for those of you who are taller and don't want to sacrifice wet bath height to a thicker product. If I hadn't already made a floor covering out of a commercial restaurant mat, this would be my choice. It comes in several colors and looks like it would be easy to cut to shape.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Nice to have found this thread. A Teak Shower Mat will be in our future in our Liner. When we get to that point anyway. It will be a little further into our project before we need one. Our thoughts are definitely for looks but mainly safety. This will be a great reference for us.

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #56
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I happened to notice this product in West Marine the other day. Another teak alternative, especially for those of you who are taller and don't want to sacrifice wet bath height to a thicker product. If I hadn't already made a floor covering out of a commercial restaurant mat, this would be my choice. It comes in several colors and looks like it would be easy to cut to shape.

^
X2

Had some left over from the Boat....DW loves red, blue was my choice. (see signature for result)😂
Easy to size with sheet metal snips.

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 05-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
+1 for TeakWorks4U shower mat

It's the best ROI in the appearance department for any under-$200 accessory I have bought to date for AI. The single best & easiest thing to upgrade that all-white bath. Teak does not rot or mildew. Requires little maintenance, easy to clean, hose off on lawn after every trip. Those aside, our biggest plus is for 3 yr. old grandson, giving him showers means a big teak bench seat and minimal danger of slips. And he loves sitting on it. Probably due to the high density of teak’s grain which provides a comfortable and smooth feel. Besides, I don't blame him for not wanting his bare butt on cold fiberglass floor?

My slats are oriented different than C21BILL's, not sure if that has to do with MY layout of bath or change in mfg. process by TeakWorks4U.

Name:	20180416_151343 (800x600).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	311817
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #58

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
+1 for TeakWorks4U shower mat

It's the best ROI in the appearance department for any under-$200 accessory I have bought to date for AI. The single best & easiest thing to upgrade that all-white bath. Teak does not rot or mildew. Requires little maintenance, easy to clean, hose off on lawn after every trip. Those aside, our biggest plus is for 3 yr. old grandson, giving him showers means a big teak bench seat and minimal danger of slips. And he loves sitting on it. Probably due to the high density of teak’s grain which provides a comfortable and smooth feel. Besides, I don't blame him for not wanting his bare butt on cold fiberglass floor?

My slats are oriented different than C21BILL's, not sure if that has to do with MY layout of bath or change in mfg. process by TeakWorks4U.
Mine looks just like yours...

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Mine looks just like yours...
Probably has to do with MY of AI. I recall when I spoke with Amber, she said there were 2 templates for AI. Even though she did not have 2018, I was pretty sure the more current of her templates fit our MY.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #60

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Probably has to do with MY of AI. I recall when I spoke with Amber, she said there were 2 templates for AI. Even though she did not have 2018, I was pretty sure the more current of her templates fit our MY.
2 templates? Must be Lounge and Grand Tour... bathrooms are located at opposite sides...

Lounge

Grand Tour

WBCCI #26769