Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
Tank Level Monitor Malfunction

We bought a 2018 Interstate. It has the Multiplex Monitor and control system.. The grey water tank and the fresh water tank are empty yet the Multiplex system records them at 100% capacity..

The dealer is working on it yet ours is there first 2018 with this issue.

Has anyone heard of a solution. Is it the tank sending unit or a software issue.

Thanks
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
And so it begins. I was wondering how long it would be before the first issues with the new multiplex system would show up. Now we know.

Best luck getting this resolved. It’s never good when you have the dubious honor of being the first to bring a new model problem in for repair......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
And so it begins. I was wondering how long it would be before the first issues with the new multiplex system would show up. Now we know.

Best luck getting this resolved. It’s never good when you have the dubious honor of being the first to bring a new model problem in for repair......
Let’s stay positive, let’s stay positive
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Couple of crazy ideas...

Maybe it is just semantics. Perhaps 100% capacity means that you have room to add 100% more fluid - meaning they are empty? I agree it is odd to think in those terms, but that would not be the only thing we have found that is odd.

Or maybe deep in the system there is the ability to display either the '% gone' or the '% left', and they picked the wrong option.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
No we did talk to Airstream and the monitor reads what is in the tank not its capacity.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Before concluding it is a sensor issue I would see what happens at various fluid levels. Does it read 'full' regardless of how full it is or isn't? On my 2013 I think that each sensor is independent of the other and each is tied to one particular LED on the level indicator panel. Your higher-tech one may be different - perhaps it a continuum. Mine has discrete indicators at 0/3, 1/3, 2/3, and 3/3 full.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
The fresh water tank was full at delivery. We went on a trip and as we used the water the monitor went to approx 71%. The next day it read 100%.

With a Measuring cup I removed 12 gallons from the fresh water tank. The monitor still reads 100%

The blackwater tank registered 0%.. So, As I removed fresh water I inserted it into the black water tank and the monitor on the blackwater went up to 92%. So, we verified that it was working.

The grey water has always registered at 100%. with and without any contents.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
That says the main control system is working but the sensor or wiring thereof of the sensor. If it is showing fractional amounts like 71%, then it is a more advanced system than the 3 pads in the older systems. It is likely a strip that is glued to the tank. If that has fallen, it could read 100%.

The fresh water tank is mounted under the chassis so crawling under there and looking around may identify where there sensor is and its condition.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
2018 Interstate. Tanks , step & racks

1st RVer, wondering what you ultimately found out about the tank level issue. I have same problem but with black and grey tanks—constantly say 100% even after a dump.
Also, have had the unit out on the road for a month and all of a sudden the step doesnt always open when I slide the door open ; luckiky I can use the botton to keep it out while I am parked. Anyone have this issue?
Finally, I currently store my 12ft kayak in the van whole traveling but no matter what it makes a mess and I am concerned it will damage thw interior one day when I take a turn too sharp.. I saw an old demo of a rack for the back built soecifically for the Interstate but never found the company online. Any suggestions for carrying a kayak and two bikes? Thx
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:12 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Finally, I currently store my 12ft kayak in the van whole traveling but no matter what it makes a mess and I am concerned it will damage thw interior one day when I take a turn too sharp.. I saw an old demo of a rack for the back built soecifically for the Interstate but never found the company online. Any suggestions for carrying a kayak and two bikes? Thx
This topic really should be taken to a new thread to avoid hijacking this thread, but hopefully the OP will forgive us…

There is a kayak rack specifically for the Sprinter, but not for the Interstate. Whether it could be used on the Interstate is uncertain, because there's a lot of stuff already on the roof of the Interstate that you don't find on a standard Sprinter.

The one I've seen is the Halrai Industries "Pierre Di Lorenzo" kayak rack, as shown here:

No idea if they still make it, or if it was a one-off custom design. The Halrai web page doesn't list it as one of their products, but the comments on the YouTube page identify them as the manufacturer. You can contact them at:
Halrai Inc.
340 Marie Curie
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Québec, Canada
J7V 5V5
Tel.: 450 455-8884
Fax: 450 455-6802
information@halrai.com
We now return everyone to your original thread topic about tank level monitor malfunctions. Thank you for your patience.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
The dealer thinks it is the sending unit and have ordered a new one for the tanks. To be determined!

The step issue - if the engine is running the step is inoperable. You have to be stopped with the engine off for it to work.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Thanks. I did several word searches before including the kayak issue in my post and random unrelated things came up. Just FYI
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
We bought a 2018 Interstate. It has the Multiplex Monitor and control system.. The grey water tank and the fresh water tank are empty yet the Multiplex system records them at 100% capacity..

The dealer is working on it yet ours is there first 2018 with this issue.

Has anyone heard of a solution. Is it the tank sending unit or a software issue.

Thanks
Hi, 1st time RV.

Congrats on your new Interstate. We're sorry to learn about the issue you shared on the tank level monitor. I know you said you've been in touch with Airstream, and we wanted to make sure you had the number of our customer service and technical support team. You can reach them at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2.

Please let us know how we can help.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
UPDATE: The dealer says that the sending unit for the fresh water tank had fallen off. It has been reapplied and is working. They said that the sending unit for the grey tank was inoperable and ordered a new one.

The process of ordering and receiving parts seems to be very slow!

Was informed Friday that the new sending unit for the grey tank is installed and is still giving a false reading of 100% on an empty tank.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Don't feel bad: the sticky pads in the older ones fall off just the same.

As to new ones not working, it will be interesting to hear the final outcome. They should switch the inputs for gray and black tanks to see if the problem moves or stays with the same "channel." That would determine if it is the main controller that is broken or some wiring/sender are bad.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
Conclusion

CONCLUSION: I have been informed that when a new sending unit is installed there is a "tab" that must be removed before the unit is functional.

The dealer was unaware of this and they were trouble shooting various other areas. Finally an Airstream tech made an inquiry in regards to the tab removal.

Hope this post will help someone in the future.

We are back home with her. Unfortunately, on the examination prior to departure we have found another broken shade roller assembly. Gotta order that and return again.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
CONCLUSION: I have been informed that when a new sending unit is installed there is a "tab" that must be removed before the unit is functional.

The dealer was unaware of this and they were trouble shooting various other areas. Finally an Airstream tech made an inquiry in regards to the tab removal.

Hope this post will help someone in the future.

We are back home with her. Unfortunately, on the examination prior to departure we have found another broken shade roller assembly. Gotta order that and return again.
Thanks for the follow up, and glad it turned out to be something rather simple.

Any pictures or description of this "tab" (what exactly is it, where is it located, etc.) so others have a starting point in case they run into this?
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
1st Time RV:
You are AWESOME. Your issue was scary and you handled it like a pro. Thank you. Your rollers issue is interesting. Have you had this happen before? Is it a Tommy Bahama wooded slide?

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
No it is not a Tommy Bahama. We have remote control only day and night shades (Lounge version Interstate) When we originally picked her up the day shade was not working on the sliding door. We discovered when we got it home that the night shade was in the slot for the day shade so the day shade couldn't go down. We tried to remedy that ourselves but the day shade still wouldn't work. They've replaced the whole assembly and now it works. BUT- when we picked her up the other day one of the back door night shades wouldn't work. They've ordered a new one and will replace it sometime. We will NOT leave her again but will take it in and wait for it this time! Hope this is not an issue with the shades that keeps happening!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
FlyFishinRVr

We did not get to see the sending unit so I am unable to provide a description or any photographs