Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
T1N Interstate, mid bath- drivers side cabling?

Just in case anyone has done it.

2006 Interstate mid-bath.
I'm trying to get from the closet upper 'back' sections to the front. Past the bathroom.

I got it up past the edge of the bathroom (rear) but it appears to loop around above it instead of past.

Does anyone know what is back up in the upper part through there? It certainly would be easier to get to the front that way.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Our van is taken apart at the moment. I'll take a look at it when I get home this evening. Refrigerator vent is going to be a challenge to get around but it's possible there might be a small gap between it and the roof. I'll try to take some photos.

When I've tried to route cabling to the front of the van I either did it on the passenger side or I went underneath the vehicle using the black tank drain for egress.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
There's fiberglass between our refrigerator vent and the roof so I can't get any photos of the cavity. I think your best bet is going to be running a thin tape from front to rear. That will require removing the headliner. I've done this three or six times and while it's not very difficult, you will have to remove a lot more trim than you might think this necessary at first.

Start by removing the grab handle by the sliding door. Then remove the trim piece over the sliding door. If you don't it will bind on the large pleather wrapped trim running the height of the sliding door preventing that from being removed. Once all the pleather wrapped trim is removed from the transition from the headliner to the aluminum ceiling you will need to pull the weather stripping off the front edge of the sliding door and the top half of the drivers and passenger doors. After that it's easy sailing. Just pop off the trim over the A pillars, remove the passenger grab handle, the sun visors, and finally the curtesy light. Grab a friend because it's ackward getting the headliner down out the door.

If you have a gap between the top corner of the bathroom cabinetry and the aluminum ceiling, it should be pretty easy to get a tape in there. If not you may need to drill a hole. Check the curvature of the bathroom ceiling so you don't put a hole in your bathroom. There should be three ribs between the front of the bathroom and the top of the closet but there should be plenty of clearance so long as you can push through the fiberglass without deflecting your tape to where you hit the refrigerator vent. The vent goes up along the back wall but has an angled deflection just before the ceiling which should give you a path to the closet.

I'll check the parts manual to see if there are any cabinetry sketches that may be useful. I'll post those in about 10 minutes if I can find them.

Post pics if you're successful. I've been curious to find a better driverside route than going under the van.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The Bath cabinetry:
Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Thanks
When I have time to remove the headliner I'll give it a go.
The descriptions and diagrams are very useful. (And I'll try to take some pics)

I'm thinking of putting and AC outlet behind the drivers seat for the. Battery Tender (starting battery)- OR run DC and leave the tender above the closet.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Assuming the Battery Tender is on shore power, wouldn't a properly functioning battery isolation manager do the same thing as the battery tender?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Assuming the Battery Tender is on shore power, wouldn't a properly functioning battery isolation manager do the same thing as the battery tender?
At least on mine, shore power will not charge/maintain the starting battery.
The battery tender would be only for the starting batt.- I would plug it into one of the internal AC outlets, so every time I plug into shore power both batteries will be charged and floated.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes, please take pics. And while you're at it, you might want to pre-wire or partially pre-wire other future things.

For instance, we still haven't decided on the location of the external cellular antenna. There are two small roof antennae already installed on our T1N. The fore unit is for the dash radio - we have to keep that. The aft unit is apparently for the old rear entertainment system that we removed. We don't need that one and given that there's already a roof penetration, it's a favorable spot for a replacement antenna. But getting a wire from the closet to that location would be a challenge. Your pics and experiences might reveal at least part of such a pathway.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I took my cheapo Endoscope and taped it to the fibreglass rods I have for pulling wire.
I got part way along the back wall- but got to a point where I was afraid I'd get it stuck.

Then I got to looking and it appeared to be space in from of the shower floor and the wall to the inside of the Interstate. I ran it there and looks like plenty of room and easy to get to right behind the drivers seat.
I took video, but goofed up and didn't allow it to save to my photos- I'll see if I can get it, or do it over.

So I'm going to see about routing that way.
I'm thinking an AC outlet would be handy there anyway - nice place plugin in my small ceramic heater with no extension cord or in the way.

I'll try to take pics as I go.

Mark
Old 03-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Got it!
It was really easy once I figured where to drill the hole.
Straight shot back with a fiberglass rod (I got some cheap-o ones at Harbor freight that are ok for very light use)
I did drill a really small hole or two watching with the endoscope from the other side- so I could make sure I didn't mess anything up. Good thing- since there were a couple of screws on the inside.
Here are some measurements I did- if more accurate is needed I can do that.
Then just push the rod right up along side the black water tank- clear shot after that to the breaker panel (or up the passage to the place above the cabinet).

more pics to come- Photobucket is being recalitrant.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate

and the cabinet under the refrigerator- routed next to black water tank.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks! It never occurred to me to run a wire along the front go the cabinet.