Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
T1N house AC

It appears the house AC isn't blowing cold air. The heat portion works fine and fans etc.
But doesn't seem to get cold. (I'm testing on shore power)

I thought it worked originally, but it has been cold and while I tried to run it every so often over the winter I never really could tell if it worked or not (too cold out). It still isn't very warm (maybe 55ºf)

Before I start investiging, anyone know anything about the units on the older Airstreams? (I saw the little filters from inside, but I have not taken the outside over off or anything yet).

Thanks for any tips.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Do you hear the compressor start up? That is the first thing to check. If the compressor is not starting, it could be the thermostat, the circuit board in the AC, failed start capacitors or wiring.

My 2005 Classic was a Dometic with the last generation thermostat. I suspect you may have the same. I don't remember the reset sequence for the thermostat, but thermostat reset was the first thing the tech tried when I had trouble. You can get the reset sequence from the specs on line.

Those Dometics had a 4-wire telephone cable between thermostat and AC. The two exchange a series of messages, similar to USB traffic to start the AC. The board in the AC must receive and decode these messages. That's where a healthy board in the AC comes in. I had two boards fail such that the heat pump started instead of the AC.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I don't have a remote theromstat for the AC - the control is right on the unit.
(Unless there is something else I'm missing)

I don't hear any compressor running- but the fan is noisey enough I'm not sure I'd hear it.

Thanks
Mark
Old 04-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I don't hear any compressor running- but the fan is noisey enough I'm not sure I'd hear it
Thanks
Mark
You should near the compressor if you go outside. the fan, being internal, doesn't make noticeable noise outside.

RV ACs don't too often lose their charge since there are no leak-prone disconnect fittings like those on automobile ACs.

Good chance it is a start capacitor. Those are known to fail with age.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
The fan is pretty noisey outside also.

I'll getup there and check it out.
Thanks for the ideas.

Mark
Old 04-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Even though the thing is noisier than heck on fan setting, you should be able to hear that lower-pitched growl when the compressor comes on.

Are you on 30 amp or just a regular consumer-grade extension cord? Your unit is probably 11,000 BTU, like ours (which is smaller than the NCV3 Interstate a/c units). That's right on the cusp of what you can run using a household circuit. Sometimes it will not work - at our home's garage, only one extension cord and only one wall socket will work successfully. Any other combo will trip the corresponding breaker. You may not be drawing enough juice to get the compressor fired up.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I am on a 30amp circuit.

Maybe I should try to do a current draw test.
I'll also check all the breakers. I think there is just one breaker to the AC, no?

Thanks
mark

(Yes, 11,000 unit- perhaps it isn't warm enough out?)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Yes only one. Airstream refers to it as being the same breaker as the microwave! I knew we can't run both be run at the same time but I didn't realize they shared a breaker. I know you can't do that in a sticks and bricks.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Just in case someone is having issues and finds this thread.

The big problem with the 'house' AC?
It wasn't hot enough!

Once the temperature warmed up a little more and it will get above 75 inside- then it works just fine. I thought it was warm enough in there, but it wasn't.
It rarely gets over about 70f here, very close to the Straits and quite far north.

I know people down south would probably be trying to figure how to make the heater work better at these temps...

Mark
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad to hear your AC is working well, Mark.

I am still running the original unit AC, and it gets cold enough to freeze one out.

I'd like to think it will be good for years yet.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
......It rarely gets over about 70f here, very close to the Straits and quite far north.

I know people down south would probably be trying to figure how to make the heater work better at these temps...

Mark
Ahhh - wish I was back in the PacNW consider I'm sweating here at 95degF in MAryland. I lived on Whidbey Island for about 8 years and 9 years in West Seattle. Didn't have AC in either house and didn't need. USed fans when it got warm, but it was normally below 75 overnight even on hot summer days.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
... I'm sweating here at 95degF in MAryland. ....
There's my nightmare scenario - struggling for several days on the road to get all the way up to Maryland only to find it no better than Houston, where it is also 95 today, and I was outside in full PPE working in conditions of moderate exertion (for my job, not doing Interstate work). Fun stuff. I'm praying for a cooler second half of August. Don't know that we'll get it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote