3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Swivel seat for Interstate

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Interstate. I bought a passenger seat swivel adaptor from Eurocampers.com. The problem is that the house battery is located under the passenger seat. The swivel adaptor protrudes 3/4 inch into the seat pedestal which makes it hit the battery and not be able to be mounted on the pedestal. Does anyone have any experience with this? Eurocamper says I can buy an AGM battery which van be mounted on its side under the seat, but the battery store near me didn't know about that? Any ideas?

Dave

Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

Any way to use spacer(s) to reduce the interference?

The AGM (Absorbed Glass Matrix) batteries can be put in any position except upside down, I believe.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
That was my first idea, Shark, but the manufacturer said raising the seat would compromise the safety of the installation. Is an AGM battery an easy switch out for the big battery that is currently under my seat, and less than a month old, by the way?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
I have a 2006 Interstate. I bought a passenger seat swivel adaptor from Eurocampers.com. The problem is that the house battery is located under the passenger seat. The swivel adaptor protrudes 3/4 inch into the seat pedestal which makes it hit the battery and not be able to be mounted on the pedestal. Does anyone have any experience with this? Eurocamper says I can buy an AGM battery which van be mounted on its side under the seat, but the battery store near me didn't know about that? Any ideas?
I do notice that on the Eurocampers webpage, there is a note for this product:
Quote:
Raises seat height approx. 1.75". May interfere with auxiliary battery under passenger seat. (5 cyl. models only).
Looks like their note was correct.

The same product on the Sprinter Store webpage includes this note:
Quote:
If you have the factory auxiliary battery installation in a 02-06 Sprinter, you will need to shim the seat swivel an additional inch in order to clear the battery (this modification is not recommended). Since the factory battery is a wet cell, it can not be repositioned. With an AGM dry cell battery, you can lay it on it's side and eliminate the need to shim the swivel.
Before investing in an AGM battery, I would find out what group number your present battery is, then look up the dimensions of an AGM battery of the same group number. Then I would take a tape measure to the battery compartment, and make sure the battery will fit on its side, and make sure the posts also won't strike any metal in the pedestal or the new swivel that could cause it to short out. It may make a difference if you lay the battery on its side which direction the posts will face, and if the posts are in the upper corners or lower corners when laid on its side.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Many who owned these just shimmed the seat to raise it. Jim
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Thanks for the voice of experience, Jim.
Do you know what they used to shim the seats? I assume I would need to buy longer hardware so the bolts would have adequate purchase into the seat pedestal. Is there such a thing as a 7/8 inch spacer that would fit between the pedestal and the swiveler?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
If you shim it up by an inch or thereabouts, you weaken the mount so that the seat may come loose in a collision. Bolts that otherwise would have had to fail in shear for the seat to break away would be able to fail in either shear or bending for the seat to break away. If you're fine with that, I certainly won't try to stop you. I'm just saying this so you can make an informed decision.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
I guess I'm driving, Pro........just kidding. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Not sure exactly what the seat looks like where it bolts to the floor. If you were to have a one piece shim that mimics the bottom design and maybe get some stronger bolts, you could potentially mitigate the weakening.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Not sure exactly what the seat looks like where it bolts to the floor. If you were to have a one piece shim that mimics the bottom design and maybe get some stronger bolts, you could potentially mitigate the weakening.
Quite true. The ideal shim would be a box one inch tall and the same dimensions all around as the seat pedestal, so there are no gaps.

Not to mention, that would also reseal the battery box instead of allowing it to vent into the passenger compartment.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Just make 2 steel bars one for each side with 2 count sunk trough holes to screw it to the seat mount and 2 offset tapped holes to screw you seat on. This would either move your seat 1" forward or backward you choice.
This is what I would do still gives you got contact and is a ridged connection.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Just make 2 steel bars one for each side with 2 count sunk trough holes to screw it to the seat mount and 2 offset tapped holes to screw you seat on. This would either move your seat 1" forward or backward you choice.
This is what I would do still gives you got contact and is a ridged connection.
But that still leaves gaps front and rear, with a wet-cell battery thereby venting hydrogen into the passenger space. That's why I recommended a box section.

Unless you add the shims and go with an AGM battery as well. But if you do that, you could lay the battery on its side and avoid the shims. HmmmÖ
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Pro you right but I figured the seat or the swivel mount is not air tide anyhow. But if you want you could weld in braces which closes up again and keeps the condition as before with a different to be 3/4" higher and 1" or so more forward or backward.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
If you have a copilot who is short then keep in mind their comfort as their feet may not touch the floor and I do not have the auxiliary battery. I actually had to install a foot rest after I installed the swivel as my wife could not ride comfortably it remains even higher when we swivel it around to face the back so I also have an improvised foot stool.