Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #21
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Lookin good John!
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Today's progress

I spent a little time installing some cable guides down each side of the plywood block. They are white, but I will paint them to match the edge banding in the rest of the coach.

By bringing the cables through the guides down to the axis of the TV swing, they lay nicely against the back of the TV whether the TV is up or down.

I also temporarily removed the padded strip along the front of the front ceiling. I'll go back tomorrow with my nibbler and enlarge the hole in the metal ceiling where the cables come out so that I can tuck the connector of the HDMI extender and some unused cabling above the ceiling. The hole in the padded strip will stay the same, so the appearance will not change except for fewer exposed wires.

I am not reconnecting all of the wires. I have no interest in connecting other than the antenna, the Blu-Ray player, 14v power, and the earphones. The other connectors will live above the ceiling if someone ever wants to use them them in the future. This makes for a cleaner installation.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #23
Contributing Member

One last photo

I consider the project finished at this point. All the cables are connected and covered with shrink tubing as needed. 1/2" shrink tubing is great for preventing the pin plugs for the front headphone jacks from pulling apart.

I cut off the three wires coming from the in-dash Kenwood and pushed them back up above the ceiling. I will never use this connection and it is not even present on the 2015 or later models.

Most wires are hidden in the white cable ways. The HDMI cable is too large to fit in the cable way, so it is exposed. The "mess" of cables at the top is hidden when the TV is raised, so I saw no need to dress up that area.

The top, single, arm of the mount is permanently screwed in place and serves only as an anchor for the lower arms. This makes the TV easier to raise and lower since it swivels in just two places rather than three. The TV naturally hangs at just the right angle for viewing from the second row seats.

I also put in a more flexible HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player to the switch. That allowed me to position the Blu-Ray Player and switch for easier access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drop-down TV.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	288653  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Nice looking work John.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Las Vegas , Nevada
I have a dumb TV question. We have hardly ever tried to use the TV, but are at a place with cable hook up so we are trying. I can get 6 air channels but no cable tv. When we have tried before, we had even less success. What are we doing wrong?
cynth42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Did you change the input/source on the TV? Also you will have to rescan for channels.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #27
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynth42 View Post
I have a dumb TV question. We have hardly ever tried to use the TV, but are at a place with cable hook up so we are trying. I can get 6 air channels but no cable tv. When we have tried before, we had even less success. What are we doing wrong?
Also, be sure your antenna booster is turned off for cable and on for antenna use.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Also, be sure your antenna booster is turned off for cable and on for antenna use.
How do I turn antenna booster off?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #29
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynth42 View Post
How do I turn antenna booster off?
Should be a push button with green light inside the overhead cabinet to the left of the front tv. On 14 & 15 models it is on the left bulkhead inside and toward the front of the cabinet. Don't know about the 16's. If the light is on, you have booster power to the antenna. If using park cable, push the button so the light goes out.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #30
Contributing Member

The booster should be just inside the left-hand sliding glass, on the road-side wall. On mine, it is hard to see unless I get right up to the cabinet. The light in mine is white when on antenna and off for cable.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Thanks c21bill and Pahaska. The light for mine is green. I would have never found it without your help.