Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
.......snip..."Another thread has convinced me of the need for protection of the expensive electrics and electronics in the Interstate. But there are two aspects of dirty power that can damage electrical and electronic equipment, power surges, and brownouts. All of the protection discussion so far has only addressed power surges but some of the most potentially expensive damage such as A/C burnouts are more likely to be caused by brownouts. The surge protectors that have been discussed provide zero protection from brownouts."

I do believe a 'brownout' or drop in voltage will also cause a frequency variation.
Same would apply for a voltage spike…..If my lectrikly challenged brain synapse are firing.

EMS-PT30
AC Frequency Protection:
If AC power frequency deviates +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down power. An error code of E-7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an error code will be displayed when frequency is low

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
Thanks for lots of good feedback. A couple of observations of my own…
  • There is no direct relationship between voltage and frequency except possibly in the case of inexpensive generators.
  • Toroidal coil transformers are not lightweights coming in at the 25 to 30 pound level — which is a disadvantage.
  • What appears to be the same $370 surge protector JFSCheck mentioned is on sale at Camping World for $222. That is probably the way I will go for now.
  • It does not appear that what I am looking for, surge protection with brownout prevention is currently available and I am going to have to settle for brownout protection — at least until I get ambitious enough to build my own unit.
In reply to my email on the subject....

Bob

Re: EMS PT-30c

Yes that unit has full protection from low and high voltage.* High cut off above 132V, low below 104 volts

Thomas E. Fanelli, President
Progressive Industries
414B Airport Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
(919) 462-8280
fax: 919-462-6132
tfanelli@progressiveindustries.net
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: EMS PT-30c
Date: Sat, November 09, 2013 9:31 am
To: info@progressiveindustries.net

I have been using the unit in our Airstream for several years now...great product!

Got a nice new flatscreen that stays plugged in when on SP.

Question, will the unit shut down AC supply during a 'brownout' event?

I notice that it does re-set during frequency variations, under what conditions might that occur?

Are the voltage limits, + & -, enough to protect the tv and other devices?

Thanks,
Bob Cross

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
In reply to my email on the subject....

Bob

Re: EMS PT-30c

Yes that unit has full protection from low and high voltage.* High cut off above 132V, low below 104 volts.
Hi, so does this actually mean that the cut off points are at 133 volts and 103 volts? [it says above and below]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

131.9999 & 103.9999

It sez what they meant I guess.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #18

north york , Ontario
@ joemikeb, one thing I can guarantee is that this is not being over-cautious, this is being smart. Brown-outs are mostly linked to youíre A/C system because A/C requires a lot of power from the car. When you start a car, the A/C starts drawing power from the car, a small surge initially and then when you start ignition, the starter motor draws power too which could be damaging for both A/C and the starter. So itís better to have brown-out protection for the A/C and itís a general precaution to keep the A/C till the car is started. Second one is power-surges, these happen very less but they are unexpected and very damaging.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #19

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
@ joemikeb, one thing I can guarantee is that this is not being over-cautious, this is being smart. Brown-outs are mostly linked to youíre A/C system because A/C requires a lot of power from the car. When you start a car, the A/C starts drawing power from the car, a small surge initially and then when you start ignition, the starter motor draws power too which could be damaging for both A/C and the starter. So itís better to have brown-out protection for the A/C and itís a general precaution to keep the A/C till the car is started. Second one is power-surges, these happen very less but they are unexpected and very damaging.
Actually the A/C unit I am talking about draws no power from the vehicle (in this case a Mercedes Benz Sprinter van). It only works when connected to external power or when the generator is running. So brownouts will only happen when on external power.

ó Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote