Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
If it were installed and this issue happened, not sure how to get power without uninstalling it at campground.
You would have flipped the bypass switch on the remote display.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #62
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
I encountered a problem with my progressive portable surge after less than 6 months. I tried to plug in home as I do every weekend and it read reverse polarity and would not let me have power. I was getting ready to go camping, so I called an electrician who came out and checked my home and the surge protector. My home did not have reverse polarity and the unit was reading incorrectly. I went to the campground and plugged into 3 sites and all read reverse polarity like at home. So I could not use it and went without for that stay. Came home and called progressive and they were great. Filled out warranty claim on line and they are sending new unit. If it were installed and this issue happened, not sure how to get power without uninstalling it at campground.
Some of the installed units come with a remote display that includes a built in bypass switch and for those that don't there is a separate "plug and play" bypass switch available for ~ $25. In bypass mode the surge function will still work but the hi-lo voltage and other functions stop working. I obtained one for my Unity TB but I'm waiting for a friend to install it for me. (I am under going physical therapy on my shoulder and can't extend it very well and my surge protector is located on the side wall under the kitchen counter). If you plan to order one, get the one with the remote display. It only costs about 10 bucks more than the one without the display.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I too feel good about sticking with the bulky portable unit... I was thinking of going hard-wired... not anymore...
WACHUKO, MANSDERM161 - Sorry to hear your PT30X conked out. But it's great to hear the customer service folks got on it asap. First time I used my PT30X is on my Zion trip last weekend. It worked as expected and used for 5-nights. Needing to disconnect/unlock everyday to use AI for the day sightseeing, I did not find it to be much of an inconvenience. Of course the hardwired would be less hassle, but even with the bulk & need to secure at post & possibility of forgetting at camp, I still like the portability factor. The local place I bought it from was happy to exchange for hardwired if I did not like it. But will keep this, regardless if I go hardwired at a later time. I also can use on daughter's camper/trailer. With my on-going Magnum issues, I like the idea that the sacrificial component that could possibly "burn up" in extreme case of bad phore power or a destructive surge is sitting a good distance from the AI
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #64
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Indeed, a switch to bypass the protection is available, thought I read the manufacturer might help there? So if the unit gets a board fried saving the trailer you flip the switch and carry on until you swap out the board (call Progressive) and in the meantime a portable protector on the pedestal might be handy to have.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I purchased a 50 amp direct from Progressive, so no warranty issue. It was about $330 or thereabouts.
Works great. I check the readout when first plugged in. Cheap insurance...
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I installed it inside with 2 plugs so I can bypass it if needed. Never had an issue for 5 years.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #67
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Still need to get mine installed... sigh.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 07-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #68
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Innie or outie would be owner preference. All I can say is that it is a great safety feature to have.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #69
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Anyone of you Houston folks out there have a favorite RV tech that could do the install cheaper than my dealer....? 🤨

Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
30 Amp Progressive external

I bought the 30Amp external Progressive. During a thunderstorm in east central Minnesota last spring, it tripped due to a surge in the lines. No damage to the Coach or the protecter. It reset after a bit. I’m glad we had it.

I carry a bicycle cabe and a lock to secure it.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #71

Orlando , Florida
Got replacement today. All good to go again.
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Got my replacement from progressive industries today also. Very easy company to work with and they stand behind their product.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #73
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I put a Camco Power Defender surge protector on my AI today. I think my recent charging troubles may have started when on the temporary hookups at Alumapalooza.

I have heard a lot of horror tales about stolen surge protectors, so I ran a bicycle lock cable through the two pull loops on the connectors and around the pillar behind my AI in the storage yard.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #74

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Got my replacement from progressive industries today also. Very easy company to work with and they stand behind their product.
Did they ask you to return the old one? There was no return slip in the package... I sent them an email to check but no reply so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I put a Camco Power Defender surge protector on my AI today. I think my recent charging troubles may have started when on the temporary hookups at Alumapalooza.

I have heard a lot of horror tales about stolen surge protectors, so I ran a bicycle lock cable through the two pull loops on the connectors and around the pillar behind my AI in the storage yard.
Initially I purchased a steel cable and was planning to use a lock... but then I saw another forum member using this one and went ahead and ordered the same. Much better and easier to use:

Master Lock Cable Lock, Python Adjustable Keyed Cable Lock, 6 ft. Long, Black, 8418D

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
No, I don't think you have to return the damaged one. I did not have a return slip either. I think I'm going to let my engineer son open the defective one up and see if he can figure out why it defected!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote