Old 04-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Sunshade for the Kenwood GPS

I found a generic sunshade for 7" navigation screens. It was made for a portable unit so I knew it would have to be modified to work in an AI. This is how it looked as I received it.

The top mounted spring loaded clip needed to go. I clipped off the plastic pins and then pushed them out to remove the clip. I then cut off the remaining mounts and filed them down to be flush with the back side of the sunshade.

Now I could place the sunshade in place to see what else had to be modified. There was a top area that interfered with the operation of the tilt mechanism that had to be removed. The bottom part had to go as it interfered with the Kenwood controls. On each side at the bottom, the Kenwood casing juts out so the sunshade had to be shortened so it would fit above this area.

I removed the felt pad on the rear. Rummaging through one of my drawers full of treasures I found some very thin double sided tape. It had come with some electrical device that I had evidently mounted in some other manner. It was perfect for what I needed. With the felt removed, it revealed that the backside was hollow with some supports. I placed the double sided tape at the bottom on each side and along the top.

After taking a test drive, I found that it definitely helped. I found the best angle position was the 1+. Since the price was less than nine dollars, I feel the sunshade was well worth the money.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
While walking the dog, I realized I had not posted the link to the sunshade.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Univer.../dp/B00G9XF0TS

Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I found a generic sunshade for 7" navigation screens. It was made for a portable unit so I knew it would have to be modified to work in an AI. This is how it looked as I received it.

The top mounted spring loaded clip needed to go. I clipped off the plastic pins and then pushed them out to remove the clip. I then cut off the remaining mounts and filed them down to be flush with the back side of the sunshade.

Now I could place the sunshade in place to see what else had to be modified. There was a top area that interfered with the operation of the tilt mechanism that had to be removed. The bottom part had to go as it interfered with the Kenwood controls. On each side at the bottom, the Kenwood casing juts out so the sunshade had to be shortened so it would fit above this area.

I removed the felt pad on the rear. Rummaging through one of my drawers full of treasures I found some very thin double sided tape. It had come with some electrical device that I had evidently mounted in some other manner. It was perfect for what I needed. With the felt removed, it revealed that the backside was hollow with some supports. I placed the double sided tape at the bottom on each side and along the top.

After taking a test drive, I found that it definitely helped. I found the best angle position was the 1+. Since the price was less than nine dollars, I feel the sunshade was well worth the money.
Jerhofer, thanks for the write up. Could this visor be modified to improve the visibility of the monitors that attach to the rearview mirror (Pyle or Valor)?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Jerhofer, thanks for the write up. Could this visor be modified to improve the visibility of the monitors that attach to the rearview mirror (Pyle or Valor)?
I will try to remember to take some measurements the next time I am in the AI. It may work although I haven't had an issue with viewing the Pyle monitor. That may be because it is mounted higher.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
After being inspired by jerhofer to make a sun shade for the Kenwood - I finally got around to completing the project. I started with a prototype made from a paper file folder and some black duct tape. That worked well on recent trip to Minnesota. I made the final version from a black plastic 3-ring binder from Office Depot. I got one heavy enough to hold its shape and thin enough to slip into the gap in the trim around the Kenwood head unit. It was about $5.

Here is a photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468946398.866866.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	267255

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
After being inspired by jerhofer to make a sun shade for the Kenwood - I finally got around to completing the project. I started with a prototype made from a paper file folder and some black duct tape. That worked well on recent trip to Minnesota. I made the final version from a black plastic 3-ring binder from Office Depot. I got one heavy enough to hold its shape and thin enough to slip into the gap in the trim around the Kenwood head unit. It was about $5.

Here is a photo.
Attachment 267255

- - Mike
Great idea and it looks good as well.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
very nice, both of you. So did you trim that black plastic binder to taper it at the bottom? What'd you use to trim it to keep it from looking raggedy. It looks very nice and I can imagine it works great.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
very nice, both of you. So did you trim that black plastic binder to taper it at the bottom? What'd you use to trim it to keep it from looking raggedy. It looks very nice and I can imagine it works great.

Yes - I cut the shape from part of the binder cover with a large scissors. I made a shallow cut in the plastic on the fold lines.

- - Mike

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote