Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Got mine yesterday, too. No more suction cups on the windows! Remains to be seen how well they do compared to the Reflectix shades I've used up until now, so I'll keep those in reserve just in case.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Too late, just ordered from Heatshield.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Interestingly enuf, my Heatshield screens use the suction cups. But they fit well and do the job, so I'm happy w/ them.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Got mine yesterday, too. No more suction cups on the windows! Remains to be seen how well they do compared to the Reflectix shades I've used up until now, so I'll keep those in reserve just in case.
Followup— The windshield and side window shades from Outside Van actually do a better job of keeping out the heat— and keeping out prying eyes— better than the suction-cupped Reflectix shades did! They also block out more light in general, turning the cab into a veritable cave.

The only downside I've noticed is that, when putting on the windshield shade, the stiffener rods make it a bit difficult to fit it around the inside rearview mirror. You've got to rotate the mirror up to one side, then up to the other side, to get the shade around the mirror. Ditto for removing the shade.

The side window shades are held in place by nylon straps. You open the window slightly, put the straps over the top of the glass, and then put the windows back up. Very simple. I was concerned at first that since I already have WeatherTech window vent visors— that insert between the glass and frame— that there wouldn't be room for the nylon straps, but that's not a problem. The nylon straps are thin enough that they work with the WeatherTech vent visors in place.

Kudos to Russ240 for telling us about this product.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have had this one the last couple of years, a Sprinter accessory, and are very happy with it.

It rolls up to store in a fabric sheath, tucks under a rear bench.

Maggie
Hello Maggie, was wondering if this alone would be good enough for the fierce SouthWest sun, or I need something on the inside in addition? Need to get something urgently - the cab gets way too hot!
Thanks....Peter
Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Hello Maggie, was wondering if this alone would be good enough for the fierce SouthWest sun, or I need something on the inside in addition? Need to get something urgently - the cab gets way too hot!
Thanks....Peter
I recently bought one like Maggie's, that I use when camping but not for storage. It's a single layer of white canvas, and lets in a lot of light (and some heat) and serves better than anything else to block prying eyes when you're doing something naughty inside

I put a windshield sunshade on the inside to block heat when I use the outside cover. Most recently the set made by Outside Vans, which seems to work best (so far).

The reason I don't use the canvas windshield cover for storage? It goes on the outside, and is too easy for the curious or malicious to mess with.

Handy hint, if you get one of these canvas covers, the windshield wipers hold down the bottom edge. Get yourself a piece of split foam pipe insulation, and cut it to the right length to slip over your wiper blades to protect them. The blades will last longer.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I recently bought one like Maggie's, that I use when camping but not for storage. It's a single layer of white canvas, and lets in a lot of light (and some heat) and serves better than anything else to block prying eyes when you're doing something naughty inside

I put a windshield sunshade on the inside to block heat when I use the outside cover. Most recently the set made by Outside Vans, which seems to work best (so far).

The reason I don't use the canvas windshield cover for storage? It goes on the outside, and is too easy for the curious or malicious to mess with.

Handy hint, if you get one of these canvas covers, the windshield wipers hold down the bottom edge. Get yourself a piece of split foam pipe insulation, and cut it to the right length to slip over your wiper blades to protect them. The blades will last longer.
Thank you Protag. Don't need it for storage since the Interstate goes in the garage; I'm looking for the most effective way of keeping out the heat while living in it. Plus, that set from Outside Vans is really expensive. I guess you get what you pay for!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thank you Protag. Don't need it for storage since the Interstate goes in the garage; I'm looking for the most effective way of keeping out the heat while living in it. Plus, that set from Outside Vans is really expensive. I guess you get what you pay for!
AutoSportCatalog.com has a selection of custom-fit windshield sunshades available for Sprinters, most in the $60 price range. That's where I got my first one, which was made of 5mm Prodex. It worked fine, but didn't include covers for the driver's and passenger's windows. I still have the Prodex shade, which I sometimes use to supplement the canvas windshield cover. You might check out AutoSport's website and see if you can find one you like.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks....Peter
You know, never having lived in the SW, I don't know if this would be sufficient for you. We have used ours in 90+ degree temps, and have been very happy with it.

We notice a huge difference in the cab area temperature as soon as this is up. It is not a heat shield, but it does effectively deflect heat. With the AC on, we are very comfortable inside, leave the electronics plugged in up there without problems....and nothing in the cab area melts.

What we like best about this cover is that it is lightweight and compact, second that it is much neater and more effective than the snap-on front curtain that came with the Interstate.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Thanks Maggie, I went with the shades from Outside Van - outrageously expensive - but they cover the front windows so well I can do away with the dreadful standard cab curtains with glued-on on velcro that keeps coming unstuck in the heat; plus I can now get to the glove and dash compartments and access the Kenwood so easily!
Peter
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
I have mine on order and patiently waiting. Glad to hear everyone is pleased with them as they certailnly aren't cheap.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thanks Maggie, I went with the shades from Outside Van - outrageously expensive - but they cover the front windows so well I can do away with the dreadful standard cab curtains with glued-on on velcro that keeps coming unstuck in the heat; plus I can now get to the glove and dash compartments and access the Kenwood so easily!
Peter
Consider getting an exterior cover like Maggie uses anyway. I did, and when I'm camping, I use both the exterior windshield cover and the Outside Vans interior covers. If you have direct sun on the windshield while camping, every little bit helps!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One word of caution with the exterior cover:

when it is very windy, the cover can move and shift a bit.

Ours, and probably all, has little rings on each corner, into which we loop a mini-bungee cord and fasten it around the door handle to hold it in place.

Otherwise, that powerful magnet that holds the corners can scratch the paint. Ask me how I know this...

Maggie
Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #28

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Ours, and probably all, has little rings on each corner, into which we loop a mini-bungee cord and fasten it around the door handle to hold it in place.
I've got the kind with roll-up panels over the side windows. When you roll them up, you've got a screen in place, so you can use the front windows for added ventilation without removing the cover or letting insects in. The cover has plastic D-rings under each window panel (not quite at the corners) and I never knew what they were for. Thanks for the tip!

And might I ask, what is the best way to clean the exterior cover?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4