Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
In fact any one heading to Oreon and needing advice or just wanting to say hi let me know

Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Curiosity question - has anyone ever taken their Interstate into Manhattan? Where the hell would one store a nine-foot-tall vehicle in Manhattan?! It would not fit into any parking garage I know of. Nor would I hand it to any valet.

I'm asking because we stopped in Manhattan on our cross-continent trip last summer, but we were in a minivan at the time, so that was easy (in terms of parking, at least - it was rather sucky in other ways, hence our Interstate purchase). I could see us visiting there again, but maybe it would become a case of finding a good drop location on the periphery and taking the subway into the city.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Here's a link to a story about someone who took his Advanced-RV into Manhattan. May be of help to you:
http://www.advanced-rv.com/andiamo-takes-new-york/

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Here's a link to a story about someone who took his Advanced-RV into Manhattan. May be of help to you:
Andiamo Takes New York - Advanced-RV

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
OMG - they *boondocked* in Manhattan!! That never even entered my mind as a possibility!!

Thanks for this link!!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We went a couple of years ago and yes parking was an issue.. We ended up finding a spot after roaming for an hour..

But we really weren't looking for parking, it was more of a driving tour through The city on our way to the finger lakes.. We stopped just to get some pizza..

Parking in Boston and Philly was a lot easier but New York was defiantly a challenge...
Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
We went a couple of years ago and yes parking was an issue.. We ended up finding a spot after roaming for an hour..

But we really weren't looking for parking, it was more of a driving tour through The city on our way to the finger lakes.. We stopped just to get some pizza..

Parking in Boston and Philly was a lot easier but New York was defiantly a challenge...
We did pizza in Greenwich Village at one of those very well-known places, but we took the subway from our hotel on the south border of Central Park. It would have been worth driving an Interstate around the city for an hour in order to get that pizza, yes.

Overnight boondocking in really big cities... I guess it would have to be researched in advance, so that one does not end up in the wrong area. My husband occasionally thinks my safety concerns are overblown. After all, who would try to strip the wheels off an eight thousand pound vehicle? How would they lift it?

I would do it in my own city because I know the lay of the urban land, and in fact it's on my bucket list to see the Houston Thanksgiving Day Parade one time. The only sane way to attend a major outdoor event in a city of 6.5 million people is to stay the night before in a local hotel within walking distance, or boondock within walking distance.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug drove our Interstate into and out of NYC, but it is not something I would do and I can't imagine finding a place to park something so big.

There is a new, tiny, national forest campground in NYC, ya know. Can't recall the name of it, but it takes reservations I believe and has been discussed here.

No hookups, but a campsite in the city.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
OMG - they *boondocked* in Manhattan!! That never even entered my mind as a possibility!!

Thanks for this link!!
Boondocked! That's nothing, on youtube, there's a girl who lives in her RV in NYC! Cheaper than rent, etc. Of course, about anything is on youtube. Some real nuts.
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #37
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
InterBlog,
There is an Urban RV Park only 15mins from NYC open year round offering full hook ups, Liberty Harbor RV Park. We haven't been there yet but we'll definitely be making reservations when we decide to roll out in our AI Extended to visit the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. If we get there before ya'll, we'll be sure to report back here. Checkout their website. libertyharborrv.com
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsknutson View Post
InterBlog,
There is an Urban RV Park only 15mins from NYC open year round offering full hook ups, Liberty Harbor RV Park. We haven't been there yet but we'll definitely be making reservations when we decide to roll out in our AI Extended to visit the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. If we get there before ya'll, we'll be sure to report back here. Checkout their website. libertyharborrv.com
Oh, the 9/11 museum is a *must*! It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Aside from the significance of the history itself, what they achieved artistically with that installation is just astonishing. I always advise people to avoid spoilers, don't review anything about it online ahead of time, just go there with an open mind and take it all in. The earlier in the day you can get there, the better. And buy tickets online ahead of time for will call.