Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We stream movies a lot on the road. We have Verizon unlimited and stream using the phone, Apple adapter (lightning to hdmi) hdmi to tv. Only thing we need is a cell connection. No worries about data use. If we tether to another device then it uses data and throttle begins at about 16g.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Box Elder , South Dakota
DirecTV Now and Apps

I use the lightning connection to HDMI cable with my iOS devices at home and the road. Not sure on current pricing, got in early and have 120 channels (no network channels but those are typically available OTA) for $35/month. They have just released their record feature which has worked great for delayed watching of programs that are on when I’m not in internet range or driving.

Other similar services are also available.
gbwsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #63
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
^ but I thought those cables did not work with Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Streaming to the AppleTV is working great for us for now.

A bit off-topic - I am going to order that cable to test the connection with the Fusion head-unit and see what can be done... I have been meaning to test that. When I ran the app in the Fusion it mentioned needing the phone to be connected via the HDMI input.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #64

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
^ but I thought those cables did not work with Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Streaming to the AppleTV is working great for us for now.

A bit off-topic - I am going to order that cable to test the connection with the Fusion head-unit and see what can be done... I have been meaning to test that. When I ran the app in the Fusion it mentioned needing the phone to be connected via the HDMI input.
The cheap knockoff Lightning-to-HDMI cables don't work with streaming services that enforce DRM. The legitimate apple-branded Lightning-to-HDMI cable works flawlessly. There *MAY* be some off-brand cables that are fully HDMI compliant but after reading reports of "$6 cable doesn't work for what I want to watch, $20 Apple cable works for everything" I bought the Apple one. Wal-Mart sells it, among many other vendors. Get one soon, before Apple switches to USB-C.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #65

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The cheap knockoff Lightning-to-HDMI cables don't work with streaming services that enforce DRM. The legitimate apple-branded Lightning-to-HDMI cable works flawlessly. There *MAY* be some off-brand cables that are fully HDMI compliant but after reading reports of "$6 cable doesn't work for what I want to watch, $20 Apple cable works for everything" I bought the Apple one. Wal-Mart sells it, among many other vendors. Get one soon, before Apple switches to USB-C.
Ohh... so this

Instead of this:

Order for the cable already went through... I will just use it for the Fusion then...

I will get the other adapter locally for watching Netflix and Hulu... Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
According to that company's answers to questions on Amazon about that cable, it doesn't support services that use HDCP (they don't write it that way, but they say it doesn't work with Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)

Wal-Mart had the Apple one for $19.9x when I bought it... Amazon has it for $29.99 but also has a bunch of look-alikes for a bit less, be careful to get the Apple-branded one that's known to work.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Ohh... so this

Instead of this:

Order for the cable already went through... I will just use it for the Fusion then...

I will get the other adapter locally for watching Netflix and Hulu... Thank you!

That's the one and yes get the Apple adapter. We use it for Amazon video also, no problems.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Streaming movies from your iPad to your TV

I've got the Verizon Wireless Unlimited plan. Would this device also let me stream stuff from my FiOS service using data to a TV in my van?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #69

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I've got the Verizon Wireless Unlimited plan. Would this device also let me stream stuff from my FiOS service using data to a TV in my van?
If you can view your FiOS content on your iPhone or iPad, you should be able to stream it to your TV screen with the Apple Lightning-to-HDMI adapter plus an HDMI cable to plug that into the TV.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #70
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate1 View Post
Has anyone tried streaming movies from a iPad/tablet device to their Interstate TV. I can do it with my home TV but I'm finding myself struggle to get it to work in my Interstate. Any special cables (HDMI cables?) or tricks to get it to work?
We have an Apple TV unit and router in our trailer for streaming material from our iPad. It works for older videos, BUT, the TV's Airstream is providing can't handle Ultra HD. We get a lime-green screen. Sometimes with audio, sometimes without. Very frustrating
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The Apple adapter is the simplest and cheapest and uncomplicated way to stream anything you can get on your home tv......that Ive found anyway. So if you can get the program on your phone you should be able to mirror it to the tv.
The only drawback Ive found is that you must be able to get a cell connection. That's tricky in many locations but we've had pretty good luck with it for the past two years. Short of a satellite system I personally think it's the best solution for streaming video for us. Just remember that whatever device you use to connect, phone/iPad/etc, must be the device for the source of your streaming. If you tether your phone to your iPad using the phones hot spot for instance, and watch the program on your iPad, then you will eat up your data. You must go from phone to adapter to tv. Now if your iPad has its own device plan with your carrier then you can stream from the iPad to the tv. I may not be very clear in my description but trust me, it's very very simple.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #72

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We have an Apple TV unit and router in our trailer for streaming material from our iPad. It works for older videos, BUT, the TV's Airstream is providing can't handle Ultra HD. We get a lime-green screen. Sometimes with audio, sometimes without. Very frustrating
Your AppleTV should only output formats the TV can accept... the Samsung sets in current trailers (well, in 2017 trailers at least) are 1080P displays, I wouldn't think the AppleTV would try to send 4K signals to a 1080P screen. Are you connecting it directly to the TV or to the HDMI cable in the AV cabinet that's there for a satellite box? Maybe the HDMI splitter in that box is pretending to be a 4K device and the AppleTV is tricked into sending 4K?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Staying with the threads topic, what is the advantage of being tethered to the phone via hdmi to TV as opposed to the wireless Apple TV toggle? Speeds maybe but what else am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #74

Orlando , Florida
No need to have an Apple TV for one... just use your phone. We happened to have one we could spare, now I can return it back to the Family TV
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #75

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannadannna View Post
Staying with the threads topic, what is the advantage of being tethered to the phone via hdmi to TV as opposed to the wireless Apple TV toggle? Speeds maybe but what else am I missing here? Thanks in advance.
Easier to set up & less expense (assuming you don't already have an AppleTV), no need to have another device using power (an issue when boondocking).

Old 07-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Easier to set up & less expense (assuming you don't already have an AppleTV), no need to have another device using power (an issue when boondocking).

Bingo!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
The Apple adapter is the simplest and cheapest and uncomplicated way to stream anything you can get on your home tv......that Ive found anyway. So if you can get the program on your phone you should be able to mirror it to the tv.
The only drawback Ive found is that you must be able to get a cell connection. That's tricky in many locations but we've had pretty good luck with it for the past two years. Short of a satellite system I personally think it's the best solution for streaming video for us. Just remember that whatever device you use to connect, phone/iPad/etc, must be the device for the source of your streaming. If you tether your phone to your iPad using the phones hot spot for instance, and watch the program on your iPad, then you will eat up your data. You must go from phone to adapter to tv. Now if your iPad has its own device plan with your carrier then you can stream from the iPad to the tv. I may not be very clear in my description but trust me, it's very very simple.
Thanks - I'm getting this Apple adapter and use it to connect to a TV in my van. I have a FiOS app on my iPhone that will let me watch anything I can get on my set-top boxes at home including DVR recordings.

Of course cell-LTE coverage will be a limiter, but I've found Verizon's coverage is pretty good, unless you are in the mountains a long way from a major highway. I also may add a cell booster later.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Quote:

No need to have another thing using power - now that’s a great reason in itself! I’ve already got an Apple TV dongle so it’s a no brainer to use that. But I thought perhaps the use of apps might be a factor. An example would be when I mirror an app on my iPhone to the Apple TV it won’t run: YouTube. So if I wish to mirror a YouTube video in this manner, I have to go thru a web browser to watch and mirror. Is this the same when you transmit via HDMI?

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We stream movies a lot on the road. We have Verizon unlimited and stream using the phone, Apple adapter (lightning to hdmi) hdmi to tv. Only thing we need is a cell connection. No worries about data use. If we tether to another device then it uses data and throttle begins at about 16g.

You are still using data when using your phone. Data is data and streaming movies takes data. Verizon will throttle an unlimited plan once it reaches 22 gigs if there is a lot of other usage happening and they need the bandwidth. It’s in your agreement.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #80

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannadannna View Post
No need to have another thing using power - now that’s a great reason in itself! I’ve already got an Apple TV dongle so it’s a no brainer to use that. But I thought perhaps the use of apps might be a factor. An example would be when I mirror an app on my iPhone to the Apple TV it won’t run: YouTube. So if I wish to mirror a YouTube video in this manner, I have to go thru a web browser to watch and mirror. Is this the same when you transmit via HDMI?
I cannot swear how youtube would behave, I'm not sure I've used it via the HDMI but pretty much everything that shows on my iPad screen will be sent to the TV screen. I do use apps with it, either DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime or Netflix. I have projected maps and a couple of weather apps to the TV as well.