Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Morgan Hill , California
I have an iPad Air, which uses an 8-pin connector instead of the larger 30-pin one discussed above. I bought the Apple Digital A/V Adapter to display movies stored in the iPad on an HDTV using the HDMI Port. It works fine on our home TVs and even in various hotels where we've stayed. It simply puts whatever appears on the iPad up on the TV screen, no WiFi or Bluetooth needed.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for the Sansui TV that came with our 2013 Interstate. I select 'HDMI' using the TV remote, but nothing happens on the screen. I called the Sansui Help number, and was told to be sure the iPad was using a 60 frame per second refresh rate and 720p resolution. He also said that if this doesn't work the iPad HDMI is probably incompatible with the TV. I don't find any way to control refresh rate or resolution on the iPad, so I thought I was stuck. Then I came here and saw that Interstate1 solved the same problem using a similar adapter with an earlier iPad model.

Does Interstate1 or any other Apple user on this forum have an idea what might be wrong in my case? Based on my experience with other TVs, and Interstate1's with the older iPad, it seems like I should be able to mirror movies on the Sansui.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Sounds like it must be an issue with the tv you have. I connect my devices (IPhones and iPads) regularly without issue. Never heard of your brand before though.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoonj View Post
I have an iPad Air, which uses an 8-pin connector instead of the larger 30-pin one discussed above. I bought the Apple Digital A/V Adapter to display movies stored in the iPad on an HDTV using the HDMI Port. It works fine on our home TVs and even in various hotels where we've stayed. It simply puts whatever appears on the iPad up on the TV screen, no WiFi or Bluetooth needed.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for the Sansui TV that came with our 2013 Interstate. I select 'HDMI' using the TV remote, but nothing happens on the screen. I called the Sansui Help number, and was told to be sure the iPad was using a 60 frame per second refresh rate and 720p resolution. He also said that if this doesn't work the iPad HDMI is probably incompatible with the TV. I don't find any way to control refresh rate or resolution on the iPad, so I thought I was stuck. Then I came here and saw that Interstate1 solved the same problem using a similar adapter with an earlier iPad model.

Does Interstate1 or any other Apple user on this forum have an idea what might be wrong in my case? Based on my experience with other TVs, and Interstate1's with the older iPad, it seems like I should be able to mirror movies on the Sansui.
Are you attempting this on shore power, generator, or inverter? It can make a difference, if your inverter does not produce pure sine wave. Some electronics are sensitive to modified sine wave inverters. Don't know if your Apple Digital Adapter is one of them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I use an Apple TV in trailer to show videos and photos from my iPhone to the TV. To connect I use our old Netgear MBR 624GU WIFI 12v-110v router that used an air card plugged into it for internet access. Without the air card it allows connection between our laptops and printer, and iPhone and TV. We have a Verizon MIFI which will do the se tasks, however, the data being transferred uses our data allowance.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I use an Apple TV in trailer to show videos and photos from my iPhone to the TV. To connect I use our old Netgear MBR 624GU WIFI 12v-110v router that used an air card plugged into it for internet access. Without the air card it allows connection between our laptops and printer, and iPhone and TV. We have a Verizon MIFI which will do the se tasks, however, the data being transferred uses our data allowance.

Just to be clear....So any router will work to connect an ipad/iPhone/etc to an Apple TV even when NO wifi or internet is available?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Irvine , California
KYAirstream,

You do not need an active internet connection for this to work.

It will work as long as you can connect your iPad/iPhone to your router wirelessly. You can connect your AppleTV to your router either wired or wirelessly. For movie streaming or AirPlay mirroring, I recommend using a router that supports 802.11ac (only if you have the latest MacBook Air/Pro), 802.11n (most commonly available current generation wireless routers), or at least 802.11g.

-alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Just to be clear....So any router will work to connect an ipad/iPhone/etc to an Apple TV even when NO wifi or internet is available?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
JBLM , Washington
The router will need to be connected to Internet if you want to play movies purchased through I Tunes. The device with the stored movie needs to be an authorized device. This is accomplished through the unique I Tunes account for each device. It will play ripped movies from an I Pad through the Apple TV box without an Internet connection.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Irvine , California
I believe only rented movies require an Internet connection for authorization. Purchased movies should play just fine without an Internet connection, assuming the entire movie has been downloaded of course.

-alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkist View Post
The router will need to be connected to Internet if you want to play movies purchased through I Tunes. The device with the stored movie needs to be an authorized device. This is accomplished through the unique I Tunes account for each device. It will play ripped movies from an I Pad through the Apple TV box without an Internet connection.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
I don't know that just any WIFI router will do the job, I do know that our Netgear does. I'm sure that others are much more qualified with regard to other routers. I only use this router for photos and videos which are resident on my iPhone, or to connect to the printer. The iPhone wants a router with internet access and looks for that. I have to "Cancel" when trying to get the iPhone to connect, sometimes more than once, until the opportunity to "Connect without internet" comes up on the phone, then it connects to the WIFI network. The Apple TV connects without any problem.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks. I'll have to play around with our home router sometime and see what happens.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Looks like the new version of iOS will allow streaming without a wifi connection. This may be a solution for using an AppleTV in the AS without having to have a dedicated network.

Here are some details: AirPlay on iOS 8 doesn't need a network to stream your media

We will have to see when this is all released and see how it works. It might just turn out to be a great solution for streaming from an iPhone or iPad to the AS TV without having to deal with cables and dongles. If this does work, I will install an older AppleTV in the AS.

-J
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Myers , Florida
IPad to TV

I have an HDMI adapter to run from my IPAD to our TV in our 2016 Interstate and am trying to stream an episode of Game of Thrones from my DVR at home, but message comes up it won't stream because of licensing agreement, which does not make sense in that I can watch it on my IPAD but won't let me watch on our IA TV. Any suggestions. Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by llleimer View Post
I have an HDMI adapter to run from my IPAD to our TV in our 2016 Interstate and am trying to stream an episode of Game of Thrones from my DVR at home, but message comes up it won't stream because of licensing agreement, which does not make sense in that I can watch it on my IPAD but won't let me watch on our IA TV. Any suggestions. Thanks
Ha! Welcome to DRM hell. I believe this is the 4th circle of hell, not sure.

The only suggestion I can make is to try downloading the episode to your iPad and then play it directly vs. streaming.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #28
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
You could get an Apple TV and use airplay between the 2 that should work I think? I think it just works with a blue tooth and not wifi...