Old 08-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Stowaway2.....Not so fast!

If you are looking to increase your storage capability on your AI the Stowaway2 Max will certainly provide much needed space. HOWEVER.....if you have a new AI like my 2016 you should know that it blocks the rear sensors and disables your blind spot monitoring system. If I had known that before the purchase I may not have been so quick to slap it on the back as the blind spot sensor is a great travel tool.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
If you are looking to increase your storage capability on your AI the Stowaway2 Max will certainly provide much needed space. HOWEVER.....if you have a new AI like my 2016 you should know that it blocks the rear sensors and disables your blind spot monitoring system. If I had known that before the purchase I may not have been so quick to slap it on the back as the blind spot sensor is a great travel tool.
My Interstate doesn't have the sensors, so I don't know exactly where they're located. But if they're down by the bumper, then it might be an easy matter to get a 2" or 4" drop hitch, and mount it upside down to provide a 2" or 4" rise for mounting the Stowaway, that might allow the sensors to be cleared.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . great idea Protag, turn the drop stinger upside down. Hope Mr Harleydeal will let us know if that works for him, regards, Craig
Old 08-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If they're like the ones on my Tahoe, they are mounted in the bumper cover.

With the mirrors adjusted, there should be no blind spots, especially w/ the convex lower mirrors on both sides.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Good thought Protag but the problem is by raising the assembly up two inches the rear doors would be rendered inoperable.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Shark.... True that there are no blind spots.... But there is nothing like a bright red triangle to tell you not to bother checking your mirrors because it's a no go. It is a great safety feature that I have come to rely on in my other Mercedes vehicles. It comes in very handy on night trips and reduces the amount of squinting at the glaring lights in your mirrors.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I doubt that raising the box 4" is going to be enough. Those sensors have a wide field of view. But then again it's worth a try.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Shark.... True that there are no blind spots.... But there is nothing like a bright red triangle to tell you not to bother checking your mirrors because it's a no go. It is a great safety feature that I have come to rely on in my other Mercedes vehicles. It comes in very handy on night trips and reduces the amount of squinting at the glaring lights in your mirrors.
If I had those triangles in our Interstate, I would NOT want to lose them. We rented a 2015 Ford Somethingorother earlier this month that had that technology (I hadn't seen it before), and while I think it might be overkill for a car, it would be very useful on a larger vehicle. We put side cameras on our Interstate to help with lane changes, but they do have the obvious lighting limitations due to exposure adjustment lag time (glare / darkness). Some of the new automotive tech features fall squarely into the bells and whistles category, but I think the triangles are a keeper. Would pay for them, yes.