Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Stove burner ignition

Anyone have a clue why without shore power all of a sudden I get no spark to the burners with the electronic igniter. Plenty of spark with the igniter if the AI is plugged in? Fuse perhaps?
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
That's pretty odd. If this is the original cooktop, then it uses a pushbutton piezo igniter which uses no external power. Mine failed a couple of years ago and rather than replace the igniter, the dealer replaced the complete cooktop.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
My cooktop is modern and the spark comes from 12 volt. Could be you have a 12v switch in
off position or possible bad battery ?
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Anyone have a clue why without shore power all of a sudden I get no spark to the burners with the electronic igniter. Plenty of spark with the igniter if the AI is plugged in? Fuse perhaps?
I don't believe there is an electrical connection to the stove; piezoelectric igniters don't require them.

Mine only works intermittently. But since I carry a butane grill lighter anyway, I just use it to light my stove burners and don't even bother with the piezoelectric igniter anymore.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
That's pretty odd. If this is the original cooktop, then it uses a pushbutton piezo igniter which uses no external power. Mine failed a couple of years ago and rather than replace the igniter, the dealer replaced the complete cooktop.
yep, original cooktop. Odd to say the least why it worked on shore power and not otherwise. same igniter. maybe coincidence?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't believe there is an electrical connection to the stove; piezoelectric igniters don't require them.

Mine only works intermittently. But since I carry a butane grill lighter anyway, I just use it to light my stove burners and don't even bother with the piezoelectric igniter anymore.
I hear ya. thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Concur - the piezoelectric igniter it hit or miss. I often have to press it many times quickly to get the burner to lite.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote