Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Store your Interstate outdoors?

We're rethinking our storage situation.

We live in the city, so have to pay for storage for Fiona. We've been paying for indoor storage for two reasons:

1. Indoors, keeps her clean. Don't want her to be filthy every time we pick her up, and there's no place close by to wash her.

2. I thought it was really bad for the tires to be outside in the sun all the time, and it's always sunny in San Diego.

BUT...if we store her outdoors, the 50w solar panel will make it easier to keep her batteries charged. Indoors, they'll plug her in for a few days at a time, but won't keep her plugged in all the time (we share plug-in with other rigs).

If you store yours outside, wondering what your experience has been.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Stored outside under a carport. Large RVs on both sides sort of act like walls. Gravel lot so its always dusty when we pick it up. Fully shaded but enough light so the solar keeps batteries at 100%. When it rains the end caps get wet, but only from blown rain (but makes it dirtier). I worry about vandalism or theft even though the place is decent. Its stored 10 miles away, wish I had room to keep it at home instead.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Outside, always, either in the driveway in season or a storage lot Nov-early Jan.

The biggest issue here is snow and ice before heading south in January.

You don't have much rain where you are, so dirt shouldn't really be a problem, should it?

If you park her clean, won't she stay reasonably clean?

Maggie
Old 05-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
You would think so, but no. The lack of rain means that city dirt and grime never get washed off. One of my condo balconies gets so filthy from dirt settling, that it's pretty much unusable except right after it's cleaned.

Maggie, do you have a solar panel? Just wondering, since yours is a 2006.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote