Old 08-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Batteries are not as hard to get to as Protegonist says on newer lounge models - can open the compartment from the rear. But still not fun and easy to do a total disconnect. I have put a second disconnect switch - on the large + cable going to the Magnum. So after switching the two house battery switchs 'off' and disconnecting the chassis battery at the accelerator pedal, all that is left (I think) is the BIM and solar controller. Not sure how much each of them draws. I would put a kill switch on each of them too - if I knew for sure which wires to put them on.
Hopefully you placed the inverter disconnect between the inverter and the inverter fuse. The fuse should be first in the positive inverter cable, then the disconnect, then the inverter.

It is also a good idea to upgrade the inverter fuse from the small 150 amp plate fuse to a class T inverter fuse of the same rating. A class T fuse has a circuit interrupt rating approaching 100 times the rating, or in this case 15,000 transient amps. The fuse Airstream provides, even though it has the same rating, has an interrupt rating of only 3000 to 5000 amps. Huge difference if you get a shorted cell in a battery and the cable becomes the conduit for the huge amperage capacity of a shorted battery!!!! I only use class T fuses in my inverter installations.

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Reaching my batteries is easy in my 2013 AI. Open the back doors and look to the right. There is a black box with about 4 to 6 screws. This is the battery box. Undo these screws and pull the cover off then you can slide the batteries out far enough to see them. Airstream says not to let the batteries discharge more than 80%. To keep this from happening now as I am in the same situation is that I have a Honda EU200i that i run to keep the battery from discharging too much...I had to buy two new batteries several weeks ago and the Airstream dealer installed Duracell batteries. I complained to AS and the the Dealer...hopefully I will get Lifeline's installed again and not Duracell...PS with the inverter off and house power off I lose 5% of battery life per 24 hours....

Mike Hamilton
WBCCI # 2766
2013 Airstream Interstate (Darth Vader)
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote